The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not only can you not get a job, you have a **** tattoo :borat:
Reply 21
Original post by Kebzii3

Original post by Kebzii3
This is the tattoo I've got on my left hand.

I thank you all for your comments by the way :smile:

Wow, thats really bad placement!
Reply 22
Original post by Kebzii3

Going to agree with the other poster, that is perhaps the worst place to have a tattoo beyond across your face.
Reply 23
Original post by Kebzii3

I think it really depends on what job your going for. What jobs have you been rejected from on the basis of your tattoo? If you told us we would be able to give you a lot more specific advice
Original post by Kebzii3

You could have got that tattoo in a different place which wouldn't have jeopardized your career. I disagree with the whole banning tattoo things, but I'm assuming you don't have many more tattoos which means a lot of space to get tattooed, so I don't sympathise with you in the slightest.

I'm a big tattoo fan but I only agree with getting tattooed on hands if your career is sorted, and you have no worries about losing your job or the field your in agrees with it. I'd rather have my job than ink on my hands.
People are closed minded unfortunately. In about 40 years the rules will be different, but for now the people in charge of companies are from a different culture to us. Nothing you can do.
Reply 26
Original post by original_username
You chose to get a tattoo on your hand. Suffer the consequences, everyone will judge you as soon as they see it, not just prospective employers.

As for the poster saying laws have been passed I don't think that is the case because the police certainly still have a strict policy on tattoos.

Do they?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2018098/Police-leader-We-need-officers-tattoos--break-ice-public.html
1. Retail and sales roles: why would anyone hire you if you had a tattoo when they could hire someone without a tattoo? Tattoos are a point of objection or dislike for some people who may buy things from your company, so why hire someone with one when, unlikely as it may be, some people may not be comfortable with interacting with someone with one or more visible tattoos?

2. Organisations with professional public images: if you have a visible tattoo (forearms, face) you can forget about joining the Armed Forces, the Merchant Navy, the Civil Service, the Emergency Services, the NHS or becoming a teacher, pilot, barrister or solicitor. Why? Because these professional groupings all have certain coherent public images that they like to present - it forms part of their working identity.
Original post by sam8472
Right now no will check with my uncle who is a lawyer specalising in employment tribunals when he gets back from the us next week

so basically your chatting breeze

Well done you found one story, of one police leader saying he wants a change.

Question taken from police application form which I was looking at last month:

Do you have any tattoos on your hands, neck, forearms or face? Yes No

So the answer to your question is yes, they do.
Jeezo, just put a plaster or make up over it for your next interview? Is it really that hard?
Yeah, I agree, it's a ridiculous policy (I'm tempted to say fascist, though I know I'll get accused of hyperbole), but they have the pick of who they take on since there are so many people going for the same jobs, so it's just one of those things. Maybe you could wear gloves to your next interview. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
why didn't you just get a tattoo done on your back, shoulder or something idk? you got it done on your hand because it receives attention towards you, so accept that the attention will be negative and positive. Your friends will give you positive attention saying "hey nice tattoo, hey cool tattoo" and your employers and future employers will simply say "pass, next one". You made the choice so live with it, especially when its their company, their rules..
Reply 34
Original post by InsaneLoony
Your friends will give you positive attention saying "hey nice tattoo, hey cool tattoo"

Probably not, by the looks of it
How does that tattoo symbolise you :rofl:
Reply 36
Original post by original_username
Well done you found one story, of one police leader saying he wants a change.

Question taken from police application form which I was looking at last month:

Do you have any tattoos on your hands, neck, forearms or face? Yes No

So the answer to your question is yes, they do.

I wouldn't say "no tattoos on hands, face or neck" is strict, it's fairly standard. When you say "strict policy", I assume "no tattoos whatsoever" and it says in the article that they are allowed them on their arms as long as they're not violent, discriminatory, etc.
My old company had a policy which stated "tattoos must be covered by clothing or a plaster". Maybe put a plaster on for your next interview (unfortunately you'll need quite a big one), if they ask about it be honest and say you can always cover it like that for work. If they don't mention it (which I expect they won't as it'll look like you've hurt yourself and who brings that up in an interview),when you get the job, on your first day go in, show them and ask if it's a problem. If it is, cover it with the plaster again, if not, you're good to go!

I'm afraid it was fairly stupid not to think this would be an issue when getting a job. Have you ever seen a teacher, politician, dentist, doctor or nurse with a tattoo? Perhaps you might think other jobs won't mind so much, but I've never seen an employee in Next, waitress at a nice restaurant or a receptionist at a nice place with one either. The only place I can think of is "alternative" shops, tattoo/piercing parlour workers and at a few cafes. There will be places out there that have no issue with it, but you've certainly closed a number of potential employment routes for yourself.
A lot of these comments are not helpful, I have to say. I'm sure OP now realises that it was a bad idea to get a tattoo on her hand.
Reply 39
Yeah I know its not the most amazing and best place to get a tattoo but I have a right to express myself and also family members in my own way, yes it is my fault and I knew what it would mean. But it is my own opinion if you don't like what you have read it is up to you what to do with your replies and comments.
My tattoo symbols all my family members and friends in my life that has died (creative dove meaning peace) I had it on my hand for myself and yeah it will make finding a job hell even more but like I said in my first post and also this post. I have my own right to express my self and my own opinion. I will never regret having this tattoo nor other tattoos that I'm having in the future that represents something but I will take in what you have all said and I thank you for your comments, even though most weren't helpful just basically saying I'm "stupid" for having the tattoo there lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending