The Student Room Group

"sorry can't hire you due to tattoo"

The amount of times I've tried applying for a job and they have come back saying " sorry we can't hire you because you have a tattoo on your hand".. what the hell.
I don't see the reasoning behind why you shouldn't hire people with tattoos, yeah I understand if you have a MASSIVE colourful one yeah, I totally understand but comon a dove presenting peace for my family and friends who have died. I think you could let that slide.

& Before people start jumping and saying "well you knew better having a hand tattoo with future job".. Yeah I do know but 1. it's not racist 2. its not even brightly coloured its black inked that's it. 3. It's the only one I've got and I'm never making it go away because it's a symbol for me.

I will put up a picture of the tattoo.
If anybody else has problems the same, please feel free to post a comment or reply :smile:

xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Their company, their rules. You made the choice to get a tattoo knowing it would possibly harm your employment prospects. Don't see what the problem here is.
what jobs have you been applying for?
What type of jobs are you going for? In a lot of roles it doesn't look good or professional to have tattoos on show, especially if they have a strict dress code.
Could have had it anywhere and still meant something to you. But you got it on your hand where you can't cover it up. Bad times.
Reply 5
Original post by Kebzii3
The amount of times I've tried applying for a job and they have come back saying " sorry we can't hire you because you have a tattoo on your hand".. what the hell.
I don't see the reasoning behind why you shouldn't hire people with tattoos, yeah I understand if you have a MASSIVE colourful one yeah, I totally understand but comon a dove presenting peace for my family and friends who have died. I think you could let that slide.

& Before people start jumping and saying "well you knew better having a hand tattoo with future job".. Yeah I do know but 1. it's not racist 2. its not even brightly coloured its black inked that's it. 3. It's the only one I've got and I'm never making it go away because it's a symbol for me.

I will put up a picture of the tattoo.
If anybody else has problems the same, please feel free to post a comment or reply :smile:

xx

laws were passed a few years ago making refusing to employ someone because of their tattoos illegal the problem is proving that's why they didn't hire you. tbh though tough luck Im heavily tattooed but I thought ahead and planned mine around being able to cover them up due to employers not liking them
Reply 6
i dont understand all that tattoo think, well i dont lke tattoos and i woudnt get one done but passing that away
how would it interfere with your work, especially when its a symbol for you? i dont understand that? what job was it? how big is the tattoo?
Reply 7
My personal opinion about tattoos is that they're quite trashy and look rather tacky. However, I presume why employers don't want an employee with a visible tattoo is because it may conflict with their policies they set. In addition, it creates quite a negative impression and may reflect badly onto the company. I don't want to sound harsh, but you should have thought about it beforehand! You're entitled to have a tattoo, but the company is also entitled to refuse you.
(edited 12 years ago)
I wouldn't hire anyone with a tattoo.
Original post by sam8472
laws were passed a few years ago making refusing to employ someone because of their tattoos illegal the problem is proving that's why they didn't hire you. tbh though tough luck Im heavily tattooed but I thought ahead and planned mine around being able to cover them up due to employers not liking them

Can you be specific?
Reply 10
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Can you be specific?

Right now no will check with my uncle who is a lawyer specalising in employment tribunals when he gets back from the us next week
I have a tattoo myself but it's not in a visible place. I agree that tattoos shouldn't be an influencing factor in employment but the fact of the matter is, they are. I understand that the tattoo means a lot to you but surely you knew that having it in such a visible place could possibly be detrimental to your career prospects. There's a reason hand tattoos are called jobstoppers.
I work with people who have tattoos on show. What jobs have you been applying for?
I haven't had a problem wearing cropped trousers showing one tattoo and the one on my wrist on show sometimes. I have also got several piercings which have never been commented on.
Maybe you could make a point of mentioning in interviews that you will put makeup over it if necessary?
Reply 13
Original post by sam8472
laws were passed a few years ago making refusing to employ someone because of their tattoos illegal

I don't think that's true. It's not like racial discrimination, people who choose to get tattoos have made the choice to have them done. Presumably the same law would mean a company can't discriminate on how people turn up dressed to the interview?
What job did you apply for? I don't agree with the rule about tattoo's being banned from the workplace BUT it's their company and some people see them as a bad representation of their company and people look down on them. I have one but I can cover it up with long sleeves.
Reply 15
Can you somehow cover it up? Not sure how you'd do that as it's a hand - gloves perhaps?

We're allowed tattoos as long as theyre covered up on clinics, so if you have one on your arm - you have to wear some disposable sleeves.
You chose to get a tattoo on your hand. Suffer the consequences, everyone will judge you as soon as they see it, not just prospective employers.

As for the poster saying laws have been passed I don't think that is the case because the police certainly still have a strict policy on tattoos.
Reply 17
I wouldnt hire someone with a tattoo either
Original post by u4m1r
I wouldnt hire someone with a tattoo either

True said. Tbh the general impression people get upon seeing those with tattoos is negative. Perhaps it's their way of telling you that not everything can happen as you wish to. As others users have said it previously: tacky,unprofessional this may not reflect to your attitude, personality.
Reply 19
This is the tattoo I've got on my left hand.

I thank you all for your comments by the way :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending