The Student Room Group

Is it dumb to give up a LSE full tuition scholarship for Imperial College?

Hi all, I have to choose between the two choices:
1. LSE MSc Financial Statistics with tuition fees covered
2. Imperial College MSc Statistics

Putting finances aside, Imperial would be my choice since it is better in mathematics. Furthermore, I am looking to get into quant and more quant firms hire from Imperial.

Imperial is my dream school, but to attend it means I have to take a bank loan. If I were to get into quant (although no guarantees, but Imperial increases my chances more than LSE does), I think the investment would be worth it. But again, quant is tough to enter and having to compete with Oxbridge is another matter.

As I did my undergrad in a no-name university, I have essentially 0% chance of getting into quant without further studies.

What would you do, if you were in my shoes?
(edited 2 months ago)
To work as a quant realistically you're going to need to do a PhD. It doesn't matter whether you did your undergrad at Imperial or Oxbridge, quants don't come from undergraduate programmes. In fact it's very rare for them to come straight out of a masters. Hence, you need to be aiming for a PhD in a numerate and ideally computationally oriented project as I understand it.

In that case going for the one with scholarship is probably better as it's cheaper, and also if it's a competitively awarded scholarship that demonstrates already you are able to win funding for yourself (which you'll need to do for a PhD, and may help convince them to award you funding for a PhD!).

I suspect also the higher proportion of Imperial quants is correlation due to them offering more STEM subjects which is normally a necessary precursor to working as a quant, rather than LSE being "less desirable" due to being LSE (and simply reflective that most of the courses LSE offers are not oriented to working in that field).
Reply 2
Hey, I also applied for financial statistics. When did you apply and receive your offer and which scholarship did you apply for? Also what are your stats?

Can we connect
If I were you, I would take the LSE option. Both are elite enough that I don't see any advantage taking Imperial, unless you really like some other aspect (such as the courses). LSE is just as good in my opinion.

"To work as a quant realistically you're going to need to do a PhD" - @Artfullodger, my experience is that that isn't necessarily the case.
As one person has said it is exceptionally rare if not at all, to be hired as a quant in finance straight from undergrad. Both universities have an excellent reputation and will provide you the academic rigour and networking opportunities. To receive a scholarship from any university is great and from one such as LSE, even more so. You have to decide on the pros and cons of each and whether you'd feel you'd be missing out on going to one over the other. But not having to worry about tuition fees is a great luxury many students would clamour for.
Original post by artful_lounger
To work as a quant realistically you're going to need to do a PhD. It doesn't matter whether you did your undergrad at Imperial or Oxbridge, quants don't come from undergraduate programmes. In fact it's very rare for them to come straight out of a masters. Hence, you need to be aiming for a PhD in a numerate and ideally computationally oriented project as I understand it.
In that case going for the one with scholarship is probably better as it's cheaper, and also if it's a competitively awarded scholarship that demonstrates already you are able to win funding for yourself (which you'll need to do for a PhD, and may help convince them to award you funding for a PhD!).
I suspect also the higher proportion of Imperial quants is correlation due to them offering more STEM subjects which is normally a necessary precursor to working as a quant, rather than LSE being "less desirable" due to being LSE (and simply reflective that most of the courses LSE offers are not oriented to working in that field).

Hi. You mentioned about having a full scholarship from LSE. Could you guide a bit about the application form - how much deficit you asked for in the application and how you approached the personal statement?
Original post by romaisaarshad
Hi. You mentioned about having a full scholarship from LSE. Could you guide a bit about the application form - how much deficit you asked for in the application and how you approached the personal statement?

I am not the OP - you should quote them not me :smile:
Original post by eraserpencil
Hi all, I have to choose between the two choices:
1. LSE MSc Financial Statistics with tuition fees covered
2. Imperial College MSc Statistics
Putting finances aside, Imperial would be my choice since it is better in mathematics. Furthermore, I am looking to get into quant and more quant firms hire from Imperial.
Imperial is my dream school, but to attend it means I have to take a bank loan. If I were to get into quant (although no guarantees, but Imperial increases my chances more than LSE does), I think the investment would be worth it. But again, quant is tough to enter and having to compete with Oxbridge is another matter.
As I did my undergrad in a no-name university, I have essentially 0% chance of getting into quant without further studies.
What would you do, if you were in my shoes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending