The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1660
I understand UCL don't really like re-sits - is that for A2 or AS modules? Because last year, one of my modules for Maths was a b but overall I obtained an A. Re-sat that module in Jan and brought it back to an a. I got an a in one of my A2 modules but am planning to re-sit it so I stand a better chance for the A*. Will UCL care about this? I'm re-applying next year btw which is why I'm curious to know.
Hello guys.
I'm willing to apply for 2013 entry. However, I wanted to know, how much does UCL care about your GCSE results?
I got 5A*s 4As and 2Bs for my exams. I mean there are many people with 10A*s, 9A*s, 11A*s applying to UCL therefore do I stand a chance to these people (although having 4As (very likely) predicted for AS Level)?
Compared to an interview, BMAT, A Level, how much does the GCSE grades weigh? I'm an international student to make the whole thing mre different.
Original post by Deathliga
Hello guys.
I'm willing to apply for 2013 entry. However, I wanted to know, how much does UCL care about your GCSE results?
I got 5A*s 4As and 2Bs for my exams. I mean there are many people with 10A*s, 9A*s, 11A*s applying to UCL therefore do I stand a chance to these people (although having 4As (very likely) predicted for AS Level)?
Compared to an interview, BMAT, A Level, how much does the GCSE grades weigh? I'm an international student to make the whole thing mre different.

Those are pretty good GCSEs none the less, wouldnt say it would count for you or against you. They look at everything, but BMAT (seems) to hold the most weight.
Hello guys.

There not as strong as some applicants but certainly not bad. UCL look at you application as a whole and I'm too sure about weightings, BMAT is a key factor but I wouldn't say it had the most weighting as people who have had average BMATs have been had early interviews and offers. Basically so as long as the rest of your application is good then you'll get an interview. Once you get an interview the decision on a offer will be based solely on your performance at the interview. If you're international then it might be more competitive as there's less places. Hope that helps and good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 1664
Hello guys.

I got 6A*, 3A's 1B and 1C, so very simliar to your results, and I have an offer for 2013 entry. As long as other aspects of your application are good, you'll be fine.
ZOMG!!!! I got in!!! XD
Reply 1666
Original post by Sui-Kinxtar_kitty
ZOMG!!!! I got in!!! XD

me tooooooooooo!
Original post by miljyot
me tooooooooooo!

Ikr!!!! Dont u just feel amazing???!!
Reply 1668
Original post by Sui-Kinxtar_kitty
Ikr!!!! Dont u just feel amazing???!!

I always feel amazing but ye I feel a lil better today!
Original post by miljyot
I always feel amazing but ye I feel a lil better today!

Lawlz well since Ive been ill for almost a week and now a second this has pretty much made my day!!!
Got an offer from UCL!!! WOO!!! :biggrin: thrilled!
Reply 1671
I got an offer for 2013 entry and it's my firm choice! Anyone else get a 2013 offer?
Original post by Diggy1
I got an offer for 2013 entry and it's my firm choice! Anyone else get a 2013 offer?

Me!
Reply 1673
Original post by ILikeToEat
Me!

Is you firm choice? I'll hopefully get the grades !
Original post by Diggy1
Is you firm choice? I'll hopefully get the grades !

It is indeed :smile: I know, need to get those grades! Anything planned for your gap year?
Reply 1675
Original post by Diggy1

I did too!
Original post by purplefrog
...just quote me as ever....

Hi purplefrog, I'm new to TSR in a posting capacity (I've been reading it for months though!) and am in the process of deciding whether to firm UCL or Imperial. I have read your very useful comments, but wondered if I could ask a few more questions?

Re. accommodation, I think that I would like to be in intercollegiate halls (although I know that this is partly luck of the draw) and just wondered if you could tell me what your experience is of the different halls and whether enough medics live there that you're not "on your own"?

Also, in making my decision between Imperial and UCL, I'd really value your opinion on what the students are like: I know that they are very hard-working, but has your first year been enjoyable and would you say that the students are on the whole friendly?

Thanks in advance and for all your past advice!
Original post by DriveInSaturday
Hi purplefrog, I'm new to TSR in a posting capacity (I've been reading it for months though!) and am in the process of deciding whether to firm UCL or Imperial. I have read your very useful comments, but wondered if I could ask a few more questions?

Re. accommodation, I think that I would like to be in intercollegiate halls (although I know that this is partly luck of the draw) and just wondered if you could tell me what your experience is of the different halls and whether enough medics live there that you're not "on your own"?

There are a good handful of medics in each of the intercollegiate halls, and in any hall of UCL/UoL for that matter. There are around 350 medics in the year so they're bound to be scattered everywhere,forming a good proportion of the student body in each hall.

Also, in making my decision between Imperial and UCL, I'd really value your opinion on what the students are like: I know that they are very hard-working, but has your first year been enjoyable and would you say that the students are on the whole friendly?

First year has been fab, I personally have loved the academic and social sides of things (even though I don't go clubbing) - there's always plenty going on. No matter where you go, there will be a fantastic mix of people. Everyone is incredibly friendly, and if you don't click with one group of people in freshers, you've got plenty of others to meet (both here and IC). Both places have a huge year group compared to most other med schools so there will be a broad spectrum of people, with different personalities, interests and levels of studiousness.

Congratulations on both your offers and good luck deciding :smile:
Original post by camurro
I got 6A*, 3A's 1B and 1C, so very simliar to your results, and I have an offer for 2013 entry. As long as other aspects of your application are good, you'll be fine.

Problem is that I'm an international student unlike a student who has home status or UK citizenship. I would have to apply through international status.
Hi everyone :smile:

Just firmed UCL :smile:

Thank you so much to everyone who has posted info/advice/comments on this or other med school threads - your advice has been so helpful :smile:

Good luck to everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending