The Student Room Group

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Singaporean here. Are most of the Singaporeans applying to UK as a backup in case of rejection from NUS or is UK first choice?? Honestly, the UK school fees are mind-blowing. It's five times that in NUS! Yup anyway got rejected from UCL post-interview so feeling really sad right now. Hoping that edinburgh will want me!
Reply 861
Original post by joytotheworld
Singaporean here. Are most of the Singaporeans applying to UK as a backup in case of rejection from NUS or is UK first choice?? Honestly, the UK school fees are mind-blowing. It's five times that in NUS! Yup anyway got rejected from UCL post-interview so feeling really sad right now. Hoping that edinburgh will want me!

For my case, I already have been rejected from NUS post-interview (applying again this year through EIS, currently in NS). UK schools would be my first choice if you take away the financial concern due to the different learning environment and exposure you get. Though our local school is a established one too, and then there's the issue of missing home, family and friends.

Well, if you look at the international fees for NUS, it's pretty much the same as what overseas unis will charge us.

All the best with Edinburgh! Was my top choice though I couldn't apply due to them not accepting deferred entry for internationals.

Well, I imagine a number of us genuinely want to try something new and leave the country especially if we have the financial support. For me in particular, national service has by no means engendered many positive feelings for singapore.

Original post by llamelvin
For my case, I already have been rejected from NUS post-interview (applying again this year through EIS, currently in NS). UK schools would be my first choice if you take away the financial concern due to the different learning environment and exposure you get. Though our local school is a established one too, and then there's the issue of missing home, family and friends.

Well, if you look at the international fees for NUS, it's pretty much the same as what overseas unis will charge us.

All the best with Edinburgh! Was my top choice though I couldn't apply due to them not accepting deferred entry for internationals.

Huh? I've got an email from them stating that they do accept deferred entry given my circumstance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 863
Original post by A_Dying_Wren
Well, I imagine a number of us genuinely want to try something new and leave the country especially if we have the financial support. For me in particular, national service has by no means engendered many positive feelings for singapore.

Huh? I've got an email from them stating that they do accept deferred entry given my circumstance.

It was stated on their website that they do not accept deferred entry for internationals. Oh well, did not think that they would consider NS as an acceptable reason for deferred entry, I thought they would want me to apply for the 2013 cycle instead. What schools did you apply for btw? And any news?
Wow this is like a mini Singapore kopitiam
It was stated on their website that they do not accept deferred entry for internationals. Oh well, did not think that they would consider NS as an acceptable reason for deferred entry, I thought they would want me to apply for the 2013 cycle instead. What schools did you apply for btw? And any news?

Got interviewed at UCL and King's. Offer from the former and haven't heard from the latter. Edinburgh won't reply until march it seems. Imperial just offered me an interview but idk if its worth flying back and more precious day of leave burnt just for one interview.

Didn't even see their statement on not offering deferred to internationals on their website.:colondollar: Its going to be even more insanely competitive anyhow I reckon as they don't interview. How are your applications? I presume you're also serving NS?
Original post by intoruins
I'll probably be applying to NUS just to give it a shot but ummmmmm it's a long shot.

same here. and I would rather go to uk anyway. nus is so stressful. not that uk will be stress-free but singapore is singapore :/
Yeap IP is right. Probably will accept the offer. Idk though, you got the letter with all the information and reply forms right? I don't have that reply slip they mention in the letter. Possibly because I applied for 2013 entry and the letter's dated for 2012 entry. Not too sure really but I have to fulfill all the requirements of the offer by August this year either way (IELTS, evidence of results and 1k deposit)

I didnt get the reply slip either and neither did another friend of mine who got an offer from glasgow! But I emailed them and they sent me the softcopy :smile: Just email them, shouldnt be a problem!
Reply 868
Original post by hamandcheese
same here. and I would rather go to uk anyway. nus is so stressful. not that uk will be stress-free but singapore is singapore :/

I want my ~~overseas experience~~ but if I do make it to NUS I think my parents would prefer me to stay here ($$$). I don't think I'd like it though - the people, the ridiculous overachieving etc.
Original post by intoruins
I want my ~~overseas experience~~ but if I do make it to NUS I think my parents would prefer me to stay here ($$$). I don't think I'd like it though - the people, the ridiculous overachieving etc.

completely agree with you!!! I think right now more than NUS not wanting me, I don't want NUS.
Reply 870

For me it's a case of my head telling me to stay in Singapore but my heart's urging me to go to UK :frown: If NUS accepts me I guess I'll take it up as it is the more practical option. Besides, I do hope to practice in Singapore so it'll be useful to spend more time to learn about our healthcare system and practices.
Reply 871
Original post by A_Dying_Wren
Got interviewed at UCL and King's. Offer from the former and haven't heard from the latter. Edinburgh won't reply until march it seems. Imperial just offered me an interview but idk if its worth flying back and more precious day of leave burnt just for one interview.

Didn't even see their statement on not offering deferred to internationals on their website.:colondollar: Its going to be even more insanely competitive anyhow I reckon as they don't interview. How are your applications? I presume you're also serving NS?

Congrats on UCL! Well, I got all my interviews but can't attend the Aberdeen one cause I'm flying off to Thailand the day before. NS is a serious bummer for interviews but at least I managed to fight my way to Msia for 2 interviews.

I didnt get the reply slip either and neither did another friend of mine who got an offer from glasgow! But I emailed them and they sent me the softcopy :smile: Just email them, shouldnt be a problem!

No biggie for me. I'll be going in 2013 anyway :biggrin:

completely agree with you!!! I think right now more than NUS not wanting me, I don't want NUS.

Why not NUS? What's wrong with the people here lol

Original post by Ergo
For me it's a case of my head telling me to stay in Singapore but my heart's urging me to go to UK :frown: If NUS accepts me I guess I'll take it up as it is the more practical option. Besides, I do hope to practice in Singapore so it'll be useful to spend more time to learn about our healthcare system and practices.

Pretty much this. UK will definitely be a memorable experience and all, but I know I would like to come back to Singapore in the end so..
Reply 872
hey everyone! hope everyone is finding success in gaining interviews and offers!
just out of curiosity, specifically speaking to the canadians, what are your personal reasons for studying in the UK? do most of you plan to stay in the UK to practice, come back to canada, or maybe practice in the states? considering the sheer amount of tuition the UK requires compared to american or canadian schools, i cannot think of many reasons one would want to study in the UK. i personally want to study there because i feel the experience would be phenomenal, and i have no problems practicing there, but for anyone else, are there any hidden benefits i'm missing?

sorry, this sudden onslaught of thought was brought upon when i realized that if we do decide to study in the uk, we may very well leave our lives here behind. thoughts?
Reply 873
Hi everyone!

Congrats to all who have gotten offers so far...
I was dying to get my offers and finally having got... a couple, im already really lost cuz i dont know what or why to choose either university... i mean, there are the reasons that i pointed out in the interview when they asked... like PBL vs Not.... but without prior experience etc... i really would not be able to say what system i would honestly prefer... Anyways I was just looking for advice on the following universitys and maybe a pros and cons on them:

Manchester 2013 entry 5 year Medicine course
Dundee 2013 entry 5 year Medicine course

Is there any 'really strong' reason i would choose one over the other... i mean in terms of student satisfaction, teaching style, location (from what i have researched dundee is a little more inaccessible), student life (night life / eca's / opportunities / exposure in terms of activities), Cost of living...international student communities, (level of racism / discrimination / level of acceptance of all the peoples of the world lulz -- Basically the kind of community) etc etc....,

another question is to what extent does the university that u get ur med degree from affect future prospects in terms of specialization, earnings, respect (from others within the community), opportunities to move forward careerwise in a hospital setting (ie gain leadership roles etc apart from basic stuff that everyone does), opportunities to teach in unis....

Thanks guys
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by IBscrewed
another question is to what extent does the university that u get ur med degree from affect future prospects in terms of specialization, earnings, respect (from others within the community), opportunities to move forward careerwise in a hospital setting (ie gain leadership roles etc apart from basic stuff that everyone does), opportunities to teach in unis....
Thanks guys

Afraid I've only got stuff to say on the last part - I have no personal ideas on either universities' in attributes which you've mentioned.

On the last part, it depends where really. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too much of a trouble from either to practice/earn respect in the more UK-related countries (EU, NA, SEA). BUT Your mileage will vary in certain places. For example, if you graduate from, say, Dundee, and plan on practicing in, say, Kazhastan or something (worst case scenario), I'd bet on your career prospects being much darker than one who's graduated from a more "prestigious" institution like Cambridge (or American equivalents).

This is, of course, assuming you're International, with no Schengen agreement member nations' citizenship and/or asylum status (since if you're, it really doesn't matter, especially if you plan on working in the UK)
Original post by olympus123456
I haven't heard back from newcastle too. :frown:

i think im getting rejected cz my ukcat is 570 :frown:
Reply 876
Original post by aeyurttaser13
i think im getting rejected cz my ukcat is 570 :frown:

Ouch... really should have checked the UKCAT cutoff before applying... The average last year was something along like 677.5 - but having said that, it's quite lower this year, but unfortunately not as low as 570, I'm afraid.
Hi everyone!

Congrats to all who have gotten offers so far...
I was dying to get my offers and finally having got... a couple, im already really lost cuz i dont know what or why to choose either university... i mean, there are the reasons that i pointed out in the interview when they asked... like PBL vs Not.... but without prior experience etc... i really would not be able to say what system i would honestly prefer... Anyways I was just looking for advice on the following universitys and maybe a pros and cons on them:

Manchester 2013 entry 5 year Medicine course
Dundee 2013 entry 5 year Medicine course

Is there any 'really strong' reason i would choose one over the other... i mean in terms of student satisfaction, teaching style, location (from what i have researched dundee is a little more inaccessible), student life (night life / eca's / opportunities / exposure in terms of activities), Cost of living...international student communities, (level of racism / discrimination / level of acceptance of all the peoples of the world lulz -- Basically the kind of community) etc etc....,

Thanks guys

congratz on your offers! all i can say is that there isnt a reason tht wud make one of the two much better than the other.. but i know that student life and expenses are cheaper in dundee.. btw may i ask your predicted grades?
Reply 878
Original post by aeyurttaser13
btw may i ask your predicted grades?

I am not applying on predicted grades. I completed my IB exam in 2010, currently in Singapore completing my national service (which is 2 years of compulsory army service) which will end in about 1 years time and so i will be joining university in 2013 Sept.

My grades are as follows:

English SL: 6
Economics SL: 7
Hindi B SL: 7
Mathematics HL: 7
Physics HL: 7
Chemistry HL: 7
TOK: B
EE: C (was given a predicted A... dont know what the **** happened) :mad:
Bonus pts: 1

Total 42 points.
I am not applying on predicted grades. I completed my IB exam in 2010, currently in Singapore completing my national service (which is 2 years of compulsory army service) which will end in about 1 years time and so i will be joining university in 2013 Sept.

My grades are as follows:

English SL: 6
Economics SL: 7
Hindi B SL: 7
Mathematics HL: 7
Physics HL: 7
Chemistry HL: 7
TOK: B
EE: C (was given a predicted A... dont know what the **** happened) :mad:
Bonus pts: 1

Total 42 points.

wow that is still great! my predicteds are:
English SL 5
Math SL 6
Business SL 6
Chem HL 7
Bio HL 6
Arabic B HL 7
TOK B
EE B or C
so thats a 38-39.. i hope i can get an offer for that.. especially from leeds:smile: but i cant compete with someone like you :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending