The Student Room Group

EDL get a warm East End welcome

They were giving it large down the Mile End Road - then this happened:

Then they were rescued by their mates in blue. By this time they were as docile as sheep:

BTW once again, Yaxley-Lennon wasn't arrested yesterday - despite being in violation of bail conditions. If you're in the EDL maybe you should ask yourself why Tommy seems to be immune from prosecution ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i wont lie, they video did make me laugh, but we( as muslims) should ignore most of these ill educated edl members, there main aim is to just start a fight
Reply 2
Mates in blue? Those idiots in Tower Hamlets are just as bad as the EDL for kicking off like that. Believe it or not we do have something called freedom of speech in this country. The EDL might have some dodgy views but they shouldn't be attacked for them.
Reply 3
Original post by ajp100688
Mates in blue? Those idiots in Tower Hamlets are just as bad as the EDL for kicking off like that. Believe it or not we do have something called freedom of speech in this country. The EDL might have some dodgy views but they shouldn't be attacked for them.

I'm all for freedom of speech but the really clever part is knowing when to use it
Reply 4
Their 'mates in blue'? Really? Maybe they wanted to stop a riot from breaking out.
Reply 5
Disgraceful behaviour, on both sides. People should be allowed to demonstrate without coming under attack. Likewise, people should be able to live peacefully in their communities without the threat of violence from protesters. This country has a major problem with expression, and what's worrying is that both sides of the spectrum seem to be getting it wrong.
I do not agree with the EDL but I seriously don't agree with the group attacking them either. Also the OPs comment about the police being the EDL's friends in blue is wrong, considering everyone on the coach was arrested by the police they're hardly great friends now. Maybe the police didn't want riots to break out and also its the police's job to protect citizens regardless of their ideology. I wouldn't want to live in a country where people are randomly attacked for their ideologies and beliefs regardless of what those beliefs are. If their actions are criminal they should be arrested and put to trial but not attacked, especially by a group of teenage boys who probably have their own ideology and beliefs that aren't desirable either.
Reply 7
Original post by Teveth
Disgraceful behaviour, on both sides. People should be allowed to demonstrate without coming under attack. Likewise, people should be able to live peacefully in their communities without the threat of violence from protesters. This country has a major problem with expression, and what's worrying is that both sides of the spectrum seem to be getting it wrong.

bingo
Reply 8
Throwing a street cone etc at a bus just because you disagree with someone is not right.
EDL angels are hardly angelic by their actions nor their appearance.
Reply 10
:lol:
Their benefits for this week are going to be spent repairing that coach :O

But on a serious note, don't think either party should have done anything tbh. Unless one aggravated another, the attack on the coach was abit harsh :s
Just inciting more hatred between the 2 :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Original post by juanmodesto
rescued by their mates in blue.

So by definition you're suggesting the police subscribe to the same views as the EDL. Some officers may very well do of course but it's as wrong to tar all police officers with the same brush as it would be to claim that all Muslims/immigrants are bad.

Neither is true so :rolleyes:
:yawn:
The whole business involving the EDL in whitechapel saddens me greatly - I live in Mile End and study in Whitechapel and have never had any problem with the local people - all the local muslims are the loveliest most tolerant people, and all the muslims I have ever known have been lovely tolerant people
the vast majority of small businesses and shops in the area are owned by them and they contribute greatly to the economy and the local community/society
the EDL that are intolerant against the islamic community are just as bad as the islamic radicals, if not worse - why can't we all just peacefully co-exist and respect that we have differing beliefs?!
as usual, minority ruining it for the majority

we all have a right to our own opinions, and I believe we should have freedom of speech, but not when voicing certain opinions threatens and endangers the freedoms of others
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by juanmodesto
BTW once again, Yaxley-Lennon wasn't arrested yesterday - despite being in violation of bail conditions. If you're in the EDL maybe you should ask yourself why Tommy seems to be immune from prosecution ?

I think you're hinting that they might have infiltrator. If that's true and you object to the EDL what possible good would come from an infiltrator who is trying to gather intelligence from being 'outed'?
Reply 15
I don't think the EDL were there to open a garden fete or have a curry in a local curry house.

They were there to be provocative and get on the media and thats exactly what happened. The EDL go what they wanted which was publicity.
Original post by MoanyLisa

None of them sound like Tower Hamlet residents.
Reply 17
Original post by Maker
I don't think the EDL were there to open a garden fete or have a curry in a local curry house.

Actually, two mates of mine went for a curry in Preston after the demo there last November... :tongue:
Yeah, because violence is really the answer.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."-Evelyn Beatrice Hall.

It really doesn't matter what the EDL were saying, all I see is some criminals vandalising a coach.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending