The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Landers1994
Sorry... I thought sixth form also counted as higher education and Yr 12 starts when you are 16? Maybe that was just my school.

Anywho, I'm off to buy stationary tomorrow. Already ordered a pretty raspberry personal filofax (which should be posted today) but would like to get a few ringbinders and writing pads and an erasable pen... just because I've never had one before :colondollar:

Just seen this bit. I HAVE THIS ONE! (well, if it's a metropol, which 'raspberry' suggested) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Love it. Go on the Filo Appreciation thread, I posted pictures of mine :smile:

Sod it, it's here:

Original post by Contrad!ction.
Tour of my Filo:

Spoiler

Just a warning: they're addictive and we might end up doing too much colour coding. Might result in us failing our exams.
Just seen this bit. I HAVE THIS ONE! (well, if it's a metropol, which 'raspberry' suggested) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Love it. Go on the Filo Appreciation thread, I posted pictures of mine :smile:

Sod it, it's here:

Just a warning: they're addictive and we might end up doing too much colour coding. Might result in us failing our exams.

Errr *sheepish grin*...... you're post on that thread was totally the one which sold me on that colour and style!!! :biggrin: I'm totally stealing some of your organisation techniques for my metropol.

Really love your set up but don't worry colour coding won't have any effect on my learning as my definition of student is wrong so it doesn't look like I have any exams to worry about failing!! :tongue:
Reply 1982
Not sure this counts as stationery, but can anyone recommend a portable printer? By portable I mean I'm moving abroad and would like to bring a printer that fits in my luggage, and sadly my 10 year old Epson is maaaassive. I can always buy one when I'm there, but they seem comparatively much more expensive :smile:
Errr *sheepish grin*...... you're post on that thread was totally the one which sold me on that colour and style!!! :biggrin: I'm totally stealing some of your organisation techniques for my metropol.

Really love your set up but don't worry colour coding won't have any effect on my learning as my definition of student is wrong so it doesn't look like I have any exams to worry about failing!! :tongue:

Ooh yay, glad someone likes it. I'm the sort of person who prefers everyone else's stuff. Unless, of course, you've just bought a set of 12 button press pens from tescos the other day for 84p - I much prefer my own stationery to that. But generally, if you care about presentation, I'll probably prefer your stuff to mine :laugh:

Ah, glad to hear. You don't want to fall into the trap of being able to visualise ideas, or quickly find what you're looking for. That's disastrous.
i can't live without paper folders, clips and black bics.
that's essentially all i use though.
Why don't we all ignore the troll and go back to discussing stationary and organisation. Far more fun.

Speaking of organisation, I made an excel spreadsheet for all the things I need for university, it has four colours: Have, Don't have, Need to pack and Notes. Then I colour code each box, with green, red or yellow. Not particularly imaginative but excel has the styles format box so it's easy to highlight the box!
Original post by conway!
Not sure this counts as stationery, but can anyone recommend a portable printer? By portable I mean I'm moving abroad and would like to bring a printer that fits in my luggage, and sadly my 10 year old Epson is maaaassive. I can always buy one when I'm there, but they seem comparatively much more expensive :smile:

I have an Epson Stylus SX445W - I think they're on sale at Amazon for about £50ish at the moment (they were last month when I got mine), plus refills are fairly cheap. Comes with inks too. It's an all-in-one, so it can scan and photocopy. Does mean that it's about A3 in size, but the trays and screen thing fold in when you want to carry it. So not sure if it'll fulfill the portability, but seeing as they normally cost ~£100, it's decent value for money.
Ooh yay, glad someone likes it. I'm the sort of person who prefers everyone else's stuff. Unless, of course, you've just bought a set of 12 button press pens from tescos the other day for 84p - I much prefer my own stationery to that. But generally, if you care about presentation, I'll probably prefer your stuff to mine :laugh:

Ah, glad to hear. You don't want to fall into the trap of being able to visualise ideas, or quickly find what you're looking for. That's disastrous.

I'm planning on getting an erasable pen for the filofax purely so I don't have to live with a messy diary.. that's the worst and has totally put me off keeping diaries previously :tongue:
I'm planning on getting an erasable pen for the filofax purely so I don't have to live with a messy diary.. that's the worst and has totally put me off keeping diaries previously :tongue:

Ah, I know that feel. My maths books are caked in Tippex because I refuse to cross things out. And I don't like pencils. Word of warning - don't let it get too hot, or the ink will disappear.
Original post by conway!

I've got the Epson SX515W but I'm not recommending it.. for some reason the black ink cartridge isn't printing and so when I press print a blank page comes out.. helpful.

Not sure where you are moving to but can I recommend buying a printer once you are there? Would save more space for things like clothes which you already have and shoes etc.
Ut's all about how many free pens you can get at fresher's fair! :smile:. OKay no it's not but that is fun :smile:.
Ah, I know that feel. My maths books are caked in Tippex because I refuse to cross things out. And I don't like pencils. Word of warning - don't let it get too hot, or the ink will disappear.

Ooo.. thanks for the advice!!! Will make a mental note not to leave it on a radiator. :smile:

PS - writing in pencil is just a big no for me. I didn't even write in pencil when I did my maths AS which is probably one of the reasons I failed it as I spent too much time colour coding instead......
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by StudentWhat
Ut's all about how many free pens you can get at fresher's fair! :smile:. OKay no it's not but that is fun :smile:.

I think we should all have a competition to see just how many we can get. Count them all, and post a picture with the number of free things. :biggrin:
I think we should all have a competition to see just how many we can get. Count them all, and post a picture with the number of free things. :biggrin:

I'm not bragging or anything, but when I went to Coventry University I ended up with 3 pencils and 2 pens.......

Pretty productive day in my opinion, even if I didn't like the Uni.
Ooo.. thanks for the advice!!! Will make a mental note not to leave it on a radiator. :smile:

PS - writing in pencil is just a big no for me. I didn't even write in pencil when I did my maths AS which is probably one of the reasons I failed it as I spent too much time colour coding instead......

Pencils are too scratchy for me.

Ah, you see - colour coding is not the way to go. Why did you even think of it?

I colour coded all the way through maths and further maths. Black thick pen for topic titles and important formulae. Black thin pen for examples. Blue thick pen for exercise titles and D-I-Y examples. Blue thin pen for my own work. Green pen for marking. Red pen for the teacher to mark with (I got annoyed with my teacher when he picked up my black pen to write with). Pink pen to write maths-related jokes with.
I'm not bragging or anything, but when I went to Coventry University I ended up with 3 pencils and 2 pens.......

Pretty productive day in my opinion, even if I didn't like the Uni.

Was that a visit day? I'm jealous. All Bath gave me was some orange juice and biscuits.

Original post by py0alb
One method that studies have shown does absolutely NOTHING is highlighting the text as you go. Yet for some reason this is one of the most common methods employed.

I highlight. I don't do that for learning, I do it to facilitate note-taking. If I highlight different things in different colours, it means that at a glance, I can see what I'm going to put where in my notes. I might want to organise my notes in a certain way, and highlighting means I don't have to keep picking up different pieces of paper each time a different type of information appears. Means that when I condense my notes I just look for pink highlight whilst I write one set, green for the next and so on.
Pencils are too scratchy for me.

Ah, you see - colour coding is not the way to go. Why did you even think of it?

I colour coded all the way through maths and further maths. Black thick pen for topic titles and important formulae. Black thin pen for examples. Blue thick pen for exercise titles and D-I-Y examples. Blue thin pen for my own work. Green pen for marking. Red pen for the teacher to mark with (I got annoyed with my teacher when he picked up my black pen to write with). Pink pen to write maths-related jokes with.

Exactly!!! Thought I was the only one to find pencils scratchy, I just can't stand the feel of a pencil against paper. Ew. :eek:

It was one of my "help I'm failing" distraction techiques one lesson. :tongue: Maybe I had too basic of a system though, might need more coloured pens for a complicated system for uni... that would be a shame.

And just because I haven't figured out how to quote multiple posts in one post, it was an open day to Coventry!! Also got a cool elephant bookmark thing which I haven't used since receiving it, but was nice to get all the same. AND I got free biscuits!! <3
(edited 11 years ago)
I LOVE THIS THREAD! I bought 3 different coloured ringbinders for the 3 different modules I have and im probably going to buy a personal filofax for the other two modules which are placements. I also want to buy matching notebooks for the ringbinders so I know which ringbinder goes to which notepad so I can find info easier. Hmmmm i still got loads more to buy! Does anyone know what those metal stands are on which you can prop up index cards? I saw someone on this thread mention them as they use them to prop up deadlines so they are visible! OHH I NEED TO ALSO BUY MULTICOLOURED FINELINERS!!!
Exactly!!! Thought I was the only one to find pencils scratchy, I just can't stand the feel of a pencil against paper. Ew. :eek:

It was one of my "help I'm failing" distraction techiques one lesson. :tongue: Maybe I had too basic of a system though, might need more coloured pens for a complicated system for uni... that would be a shame.

And just because I haven't figured out how to quote multiple posts in one post, it was an open day to Coventry!! Also got a cool elephant bookmark thing which I haven't used since receiving it, but was nice to get all the same. AND I got free biscuits!! <3

Pens are so much smoother :yes:

Haha, nicely employed. I use Tippex as a tool to hide my struggling on some questions - keep on working at it until I get it, then Tippex it all out and redo it. In more extreme circumstances, I'll just rip the page out of my exercise book. Have been known to use scrap paper to work on so that my exercise book doesn't get too messy - this usually happens if I know I'll make a mistake. Yes, it wastes time. Do I care? No.

This thing:
Press it and it'll add it to the things you're quoting. Once you've added all the quotes you want, scroll down to the Quick Reply box.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG PHOTO. NOW. I don't have any fancy bookmarks :sad:
Anyone seen an offer on propelling pencils recently? I need to stock up on those, thinking about it I've only got 2. Not the push-top ones, the ones you turn the writing end on.

The disposable ones? Try WHS - I picked up a pack of five cheap in their back to school sale. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending