The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Contrad!ction.
I managed to use JULYTREAT, think I might have caught one of the last days. Now, what pen to store in it?

I bought this pen for something else, but discovered later on that this in the holder of my Filofax (pocket size). A bit inappropriate probably as it's a fountain pen :tongue:
Hi everyone! Its time for me to start getting organised for my final year of stationery organisation :'( I need to step my game up ASAP. I am only on around 50% and this year is worth 75% I really need to get a 2:1. I really struggled with organisation last year. I made everything too complicated and couldnt stick to it. Also with doing Law, I need massive books, and I couldn't carry them along with ring binders. I need to have all my lecture notes with me because they always refer to stuff we have supposed to have already learnt and its hard.

My idea for this year is, instead of having ring binders, to have one of these per module : http://www.paperchase.co.uk/invt/00471659/

What I will do is in the lecture, write on the lecture handouts, and anything that needs deeper explanation that I cant write quick enough I will type on my macbook. So per topic within the module, one of those pockets will have lecture handouts, any printout of notes from my Mac, seminar notes, and anything more elaborate.

So I will need 8 of those display wallets.

Does that sound reasonable to everyone? I really need to get this right now, whilst I feel like doing it.

I'm then stuck between getting a diary, and using the calendar on my iphone. What does everyone think?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by insignificant
Hi everyone! Its time for me to start getting organised for my final year of stationery organisation :'( I need to step my game up ASAP. I am only on around 50% and this year is worth 75% I really need to get a 2:1. I really struggled with organisation last year. I made everything too complicated and couldnt stick to it. Also with doing Law, I need massive books, and I couldn't carry them along with ring binders. I need to have all my lecture notes with me because they always refer to stuff we have supposed to have already learnt and its hard.

My idea for this year is, instead of having ring binders, to have one of these per module : http://www.paperchase.co.uk/invt/00471659/

What I will do is in the lecture, write on the lecture handouts, and anything that needs deeper explanation that I cant write quick enough I will type on my macbook. So per topic within the module, one of those pockets will have lecture handouts, any printout of notes from my Mac, seminar notes, and anything more elaborate.

Does that sound reasonable to everyone? I really need to get this right now, whilst I feel like doing it.

I'm then stuck between getting a diary, and using the calendar on my iphone. What does everyone think?

i think £5 for a display wallet is too much, that would be £40 overall!

I don't know if this will be any use to you but there's this iphone app called iStudiez Pro that I use and you can put in all your different modules and your timetable. You input all your assignments and it'll give you notifications for when your assignments are due. :biggrin:
Original post by number23
i think £5 for a display wallet is too much, that would be £40 overall!

I've found some on Rymans way cheaper, and with student discount is £19.62 :smile:

Original post by emthedrummer
I don't know if this will be any use to you but there's this iphone app called iStudiez Pro that I use and you can put in all your different modules and your timetable. You input all your assignments and it'll give you notifications for when your assignments are due. :biggrin:

Thanks! I'll have a look into it :smile: i have a feeling if I got a diary it would just be a pretty thing to have in my bag and not something I'd actually use.

Will you not find it hard to switch between macbook and note writing in a lecture if you don't understand something fully? I know that our lecturers go so fast that sometimes note writing itself is impossible, let alone switching media as well.

Thanks! I'll have a look into it :smile: i have a feeling if I got a diary it would just be a pretty thing to have in my bag and not something I'd actually use.

It was a total lifesaver for me, I'm rubbish at keeping track of assignments. I think it was only around a quid as well. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 787
Original post by RibenaRockstar
JULYTREAT has run out now, you want SCHOOL20
and I signed up to be notified when it was back in stock :smile:

Thanks for the code, just ordered myself a Pocket Swift!
You're all really making me want to buy a Filofax XD
Never had one before - and I know this may sound dumb - but what exactly do you need to do to them? D o you have to buy the pages for every week?
Original post by katehlouise
Never had one before - and I know this may sound dumb - but what exactly do you need to do to them? D o you have to buy the pages for every week?

No, if you buy a brand new one now for example, it'll come with the remaining pages for 2012 + a 2013 calender. If you don't like the one that sent, you can buy a different one, for example a day per page as new filofax's come with week on two pages calenders. You can then buy monthly planners/year planners, tabs so you can organise your filofax (but some do come with these), different coloured notepaper, tube maps, London maps, loads of things so you can personalise it.

www.philofaxy.com is a great website to read, many people personalise filofax's, there's at least one post per day on that blog, it's all really interesting :smile: Imysworld is another good blog to look at, then you can go on youtube and there's loads of videos to go through about how people organise their filofax :smile:

Have a look at these posts :smile:
http://theprettychallenge.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Filofax
Also Paperchase is great for low cost bits and bobs for filofaxes, and their own brand organisers are pretty good too.
Ah thank you guys! I've decided that I'm going to have to get one xD Though, it'll have to wait till next week when I get paid :3

I also now really want them... might go and stare at them in Smiths later!
Original post by kiss_me_now9
I also now really want them... might go and stare at them in Smiths later!

Smiths is really bad for that, it doesn't have the nice ones on display. You want John Lewis or Staples - Staples even sometimes have them knocked down to a ridiculous price on end of line deals, those will be on the clearance shelf rather than with the rest of the Filofaxes.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Smiths is really bad for that, it doesn't have the nice ones on display. You want John Lewis or Staples - Staples even sometimes have them knocked down to a ridiculous price on end of line deals, those will be on the clearance shelf rather than with the rest of the Filofaxes.

We only have a Smiths :sad: I've been reading Philofaxy all morning... I have an academic diary already for 2012/13 but now I'm considering whether getting an A4 filofax with some lined paper in it would be a good plan for note taking at uni, as I could have different sections for different modules and my dissertation, and could keep it all together, as well as making it easier to see my notes that need typing up/expanding and transporting it home on the train...

Plus I have a £20 gift card for Smiths so if they had a nice one that was a little more expensive I could justify buying it with that :tongue: ETA - Just seen that Smiths have half price on some of their filofaxes, so I could get a plain standard black A4 one for £21 :teeth:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 795
We only have a Smiths :sad: I've been reading Philofaxy all morning... I have an academic diary already for 2012/13

I'm in the same situation. It is so tempting to buy one. There is one on amazon which I really like but it's only got one left in stock so I don't want to wait. It's so tempting. Can I justify £18 on something that does the same job as something I've already got??
Are Parker ballpoints worth it? I might forgo the Filofax idea for now and just get a document wallet instead and treat myself to a nice pen to use in it. I think the Filofax is going to be very expensive and there's a large possibility that I won't use it or will abandon it after uni; at least a document wallet will only be about a tenner!
Are Parker ballpoints worth it? I might forgo the Filofax idea for now and just get a document wallet instead and treat myself to a nice pen to use in it. I think the Filofax is going to be very expensive and there's a large possibility that I won't use it or will abandon it after uni; at least a document wallet will only be about a tenner!

You should have a look on Viking for a Filofax, if you're interested in one but are being put off by the price. I just ordered a 'personal' sized one that was £10.67 including VAT/delivery, and they had even cheaper ones available!
Original post by Newbie1987
Hey all, I need some advice...

Can anybody recommend a decent pen for me?

My writing varies depending on what pen I use! I dont like fine writing pens, the nibs have to quite thick and I like smooth pens that glide...

Any suggestions??

How much are you willing to spend?
Original post by laurenmckay
You should have a look on Viking for a Filofax, if you're interested in one but are being put off by the price. I just ordered a 'personal' sized one that was £10.67 including VAT/delivery, and they had even cheaper ones available!

I did that yesterday! The songbird one?
I got it because it was cheap, and I don't want to spend too much just in case it doesn't get much use.

Eventually I'd like to get a really nice leather one.

Also, I need to look for some good pens. I'm thinking I'll get some Uni-ball ones, or if I find them in my shop, those Pentel ones. And I want cute sticky-notes! Was looking on Artbox earlier. I wish I had more money aha!
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending