The Student Room Group

Bpp vs Low Ranking Uni

Dear all,

In respect of the LLB, would it be best to transfer from, say Leeds Met, to BPP to increase your chances within the legal market? I'm about to start my second year.

I understand I'll need a first, but that aside, I'd like to know how BPP would compare against a lower ranked uni.

Much obliiiged. :s-smilie:
What sort of previous academics do you have?

At any rate, I can't imagine many people thinking Leeds Met would be better than BPP.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Well I am a 'mature student'. I have been achieving 2.1/1 in my first year subjects.

I only hold GCSE's, however, have been working in a law firm for the past 8 years.
bump, for you, OP.
Reply 4
Original post by Dominicque
bump, for you, OP.

What does one mean?
Original post by scottm87
Well I am a 'mature student'. I have been achieving 2.1/1 in my first year subjects.

I only hold GCSE's, however, have been working in a law firm for the past 8 years.

Are you looking to get a training contract or pupillage?

I don't know how that'd work without having A-levels (or equivalent), regardless of university, if I'm honest.

It seems a lot of the sifting of applications goes by A-level results.
Reply 6
I have another degreee in Property Law, a part time course provided by Uni West of England. Once I've finished my degree I have been thinking of doing my A-Levels part time, in one year, as I've also spoken to Oxford Online Uni and this can be done using their 'fast-track' couses.

I've always wanted to be a barrister, however, the competition appears to be too fierce.
OP, I think at this point as a mature student your situation is quite different from that of the younger undergrad. Your experience will speak for more than your uni. At the point at which you are applying to firms or chambers, they will want to talk to you about your experience and what spurred you to do the qualification as opposed to where you studied it. So I wouldn't worry about that side of things for now.
Reply 8
I think BPP University College would probably be seen as around equal to Leeds Metropolitan for an undergraduate LLB.

BPP has a good reputation for legal training, but it isn't famous for being an academic powerhouse. The undergraduate degree develops the academic, research, and argumentation skills, which are then put in to practice by the practical training courses afterwards. I'm not sure BPP would necessarily provide the same level of academic training as a university - if it does, it would probably be around similar to Leeds Metropolitan I suppose.

So while BPP has a good reputation among employers, it doesn't hold so much prestige at undergraduate level. This is probably compounded by the fact that it is a profit-making organisation, and therefore entry is not fiercely competitive and not quite so merit-based, which might not reflect so well to a recruiter.
Original post by tony_ron
I think BPP University College would probably be seen as around equal to Leeds Metropolitan for an undergraduate LLB.

BPP has a good reputation for legal training, but it isn't famous for being an academic powerhouse. The undergraduate degree develops the academic, research, and argumentation skills, which are then put in to practice by the practical training courses afterwards. I'm not sure BPP would necessarily provide the same level of academic training as a university - if it does, it would probably be around similar to Leeds Metropolitan I suppose.

So while BPP has a good reputation among employers, it doesn't hold so much prestige at undergraduate level. This is probably compounded by the fact that it is a profit-making organisation, and therefore entry is not fiercely competitive and not quite so merit-based, which might not reflect so well to a recruiter.

Apparently, BPP's first set of graduates had an employment rate of 93% (according to their website); conversely the Guardian's university league tables put Leeds Met at 57%.

It is too early to say if this will continue to be the case, but I can't help but think that one of the most respected postgraduate and professional training providers must be held in higher regard than Leeds Met.

Obviously with regards to getting in, it's not going to be fiercely competitive until it's a more established undergrad provider, their requirements at the moment are something like three Bs - still higher than Leeds Met probably, though. At any rate you'd be putting your academics on application forms for TCs and pupillages, so if you did get in without meeting the required standard you'd get your application binned fairly swiftly - that's probably more the applicant's fault than anyone else's though - anyone with sense would know before embarking upon a degree what sort of A-level grades they'd need to get into such a competitive industry.
Reply 10
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Apparently, BPP's first set of graduates had an employment rate of 93% (according to their website); conversely the Guardian's university league tables put Leeds Met at 57%.

It is too early to say if this will continue to be the case, but I can't help but think that one of the most respected postgraduate and professional training providers must be held in higher regard than Leeds Met.

Obviously with regards to getting in, it's not going to be fiercely competitive until it's a more established undergrad provider, their requirements at the moment are something like three Bs - still higher than Leeds Met probably, though. At any rate you'd be putting your academics on application forms for TCs and pupillages, so if you did get in without meeting the required standard you'd get your application binned fairly swiftly - that's probably more the applicant's fault than anyone else's though - anyone with sense would know before embarking upon a degree what sort of A-level grades they'd need to get into such a competitive industry.

This may be true however, I was unable to commence my A-Levels due to personal mitigating circumstances. I appreciate this will not be my future employers concern, but that said, I am now attempting to reclaim my past and endeavouring to obtain the best qualifications I can.

I am currently a manger of property/private client department in a large firm of solicitors, and have been for the past three years. Due to work commitments I have been unable to seek a good university, within close proximity, that has a part time LLB.

One can only hope this is enough :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
This may be true however, I was unable to commence my A-Levels due to personal mitigating circumstances. I appreciate this will not be my future employers concern, but that said, I am now attempting to reclaim my past and endeavour to obtain the best qualifications I can.

I am currently a manger of property/private client department in a large firm of solicitors, and have been for the past three years. Due to work commitments I have been unable to seek a good university, within close proximity, that has a part time LLB.

One can only hope this is enough :smile:

I'm sure someone rather more senior will see this thread soon - I think they'll be in a better position to advise you than I.

Best of luck!
hi There is there anyone who can tell me about their Acca experience in the university
I have another degreee in Property Law, a part time course provided by Uni West of England. Once I've finished my degree I have been thinking of doing my A-Levels part time, in one year, as I've also spoken to Oxford Online Uni and this can be done using their 'fast-track' couses.

I've always wanted to be a barrister, however, the competition appears to be too fierce.

I slightly haven't read this thread properly. But I don't think you need a first - you only need a 2.1. Your law firm experience should stand you in good stead (on the sol route) - I really think you shouldn't redo the A Levels - do more research here. IMHO that ship has sailed - law is a funny sausage - you are not allowed to 'fix' the A Level situation by either sitting them again and getting better ones, or sitting them at a later date. Best to make the best you can out of what you've got - and you've got a lot (*sings*)

CAVEAT - don't do the barrister route - it ain't worth it. Just be a sol.

You will have to check out how much kudos BPP have - for sure, firms look for the 'right' unis - these seem to be Russel group etc etc - not sure how BPP fits into this - I would certainly canvas opinion on that before you take the plunge.

I don't know if I count as more 'senior' as an earlier poster put it - I am undoubtedly older than you are but decidedly entry-level where law is concerned. With rubbish A levels but you know, it's all OK - you need focus and a career development plan
Sorry, that was me with the rubbish A Levels - not you obvs :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending