The Student Room Group

Please help - a level maths

start sixth from tomorrow
and ive taken the 3 sciences and maths
But ive know maths is a hard subject
i got a b at gcse and im not at all comfortable with the advanced stuff
ah should i try it for 2 weeks? i think business (the actual a level - not btec) might be available in the maths slot
i got D* in that
AHH the only thing i can do so far at AS is c1 indices, and that stuff is nothing! :frown:
how would taking
Bio
Chem
Phys
and Business A Level Look?
please reply ASAP
Reply 1
Got A's in science and additional science
D* or A*A*A*A* in business
and B in maths
ive been alright at Maths BEFORE GCSE :L
the higher stuff was understandable but AS Maths
im even doubting myself now and ive never done that - even in a subject ii got a F in
i still enjoyed RM (DT) but i got a F
damm help!! :frown: :/
Reply 2
I'd suggest you maybe try it for two weeks, if not change it to business. I did A-level further maths, and the normal maths wasn't that bad. I didn't do Business so can't help you there mate, sorry.

But it also depends on what Uni courses you want to do as well.
Reply 3
Iwas looking at something like Biomedical Science
the requirements arent to high
for example in my home town bedford (oh my god, dont rape me)
the uni wants C's at A Level to do Biomed
basically what Biology based degrees are there that
Dont need Maths
And dont need ridiculous requirements?
Original post by MrFukutu
start sixth from tomorrow
and ive taken the 3 sciences and maths
But ive know maths is a hard subject
i got a b at gcse and im not at all comfortable with the advanced stuff
ah should i try it for 2 weeks? i think business (the actual a level - not btec) might be available in the maths slot
i got D* in that
AHH the only thing i can do so far at AS is c1 indices, and that stuff is nothing! :frown:
how would taking
Bio
Chem
Phys
and Business A Level Look?
please reply ASAP

I found that people who weren't comfortable with Maths generally don't do well. I think people either do really well or really poorly. So I recommend Business and possibly drop it for A2. Your three sciences are HIGHLY respected subjects anyway so I think your all good.
Got A's in science and additional science
D* or A*A*A*A* in business
and B in maths
ive been alright at Maths BEFORE GCSE :L
the higher stuff was understandable but AS Maths
im even doubting myself now and ive never done that - even in a subject ii got a F in
i still enjoyed RM (DT) but i got a F
damm help!! :frown: :/

Try out maths and if you don't get on, move to business. You won't miss too much of business in the first couple of weeks but you'd probably get a good feel of whether maths is for you.

About knowing indices... how are you meant to know stuff in C1 if you haven't been taught it yet? Calm down :smile:

But as postman pat ( :tongue: ) said, the three sciences are solid. If you struggle at one of those, at least then you can carry on with business at A2 instead of maybe having a tricky science and also maths, so perhaps finding yourself in a position where you have two A levels you want to drop but have to carry on with one of them...
(edited 12 years ago)
From my recollection of C1 ( which i limited because i deleted everything form my brain) there is nothing TOO taxing if you think indices is nothing
Reply 7
Original post by postman pat
I found that people who weren't comfortable with Maths generally don't do well. I think people either do really well or really poorly. So I recommend Business and possibly drop it for A2. Your three sciences are HIGHLY respected subjects anyway so I think your all good.

Cheers
Im comfortable with GCSE and AS Science (so far)
But Maths is just scary lol.
Thanks for the Info :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by physicsfuntimes
Try out maths and if you don't get on, move to business. You won't miss too much of business in the first couple of weeks but you'd probably get a good feel of whether maths is for you.

About knowing indices... how are you meant to know stuff in C1 if you haven't been taught it yet? Calm down :smile:

But as postman pat ( :tongue: ) said, the three sciences are solid. If you struggle at one of those, at least then you can carry on with business at A2 instead of maybe having a tricky science and also maths, so perhaps finding yourself in a position where you have two A levels you want to drop but have to carry on with one of them...

Erm I had AS maths last lesson today
It went well - But the stuff was just advanced GCSE
While doing work over the Summer the only thing I Understood was the Indices stuff - and that took ages to get into my head.
I have about 2 weeks to decide - so I might just go to Maths again, and I've got Business as an Option - Thanks
Erm I had AS maths last lesson today
It went well - But the stuff was just advanced GCSE
While doing work over the Summer the only thing I Understood was the Indices stuff - and that took ages to get into my head.
I have about 2 weeks to decide - so I might just go to Maths again, and I've got Business as an Option - Thanks

Oh okay. I never looked at maths in advance - our teacher actively discouraged it, saying we'd think it was way harder than it actually was and get ourselves all muddled and depressed. But we did cover the course very quickly, so working ahead in our own time wasn't at all necessary. I find a lot of maths looks awful if you're learning from the book but makes so much more sense, a lot more quickly, if a teacher's explaining it and you have friends to ask for help :tongue:

Good luck for everything, whichever you choose :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by physicsfuntimes
Oh okay. I never looked at maths in advance - our teacher actively discouraged it, saying we'd think it was way harder than it actually was and get ourselves all muddled and depressed. But we did cover the course very quickly, so working ahead in our own time wasn't at all necessary. I find a lot of maths looks awful if you're learning from the book but makes so much more sense, a lot more quickly, if a teacher's explaining it and you have friends to ask for help :tongue:

Good luck for everything, whichever you choose :smile:

That might explain some of it
But I do Genuinely Hate it - I mean I enjoy the 3 sciences and Happen to be alright at them. :P
It's not to Bad?
3 Science and Business A-Level (not btec)
Cheers :smile:x
Good Luck with whatever your studying (or working etc)
Reply 11
I would go for Maths. It seems a more respectable subject than Business, and doing it will improve your mathematical skills, which from the looks of it are needed a lot more in uni, which is why they like Maths. However, if after a while you decide it's too hart, then drop it for the business (no point if you're going to get a really bad grade in it) so try it and see how it goes. But for me business seems like an irrelevant subject to what you are doing (I took business & economics and have since dropped them) whereas maths is completely relevant.
Reply 12
Original post by Harvo
I would go for Maths. It seems a more respectable subject than Business, and doing it will improve your mathematical skills, which from the looks of it are needed a lot more in uni, which is why they like Maths. However, if after a while you decide it's too hart, then drop it for the business (no point if you're going to get a really bad grade in it) so try it and see how it goes. But for me business seems like an irrelevant subject to what you are doing (I took business & economics and have since dropped them) whereas maths is completely relevant.

This. But if it's not in him to do Maths then....it's just not him! Better he gets an A/B whatever in Business rather than a D/E in Maths if he can't do it.

I suggest you try and work on your maths for the next few days for at least 2-3 hours a day, you need to be really confident with manipulating algebra and surds / indicies or everything will go straight over your head.

The reward if you succeed? A decent grade in a very respectable A level that has been shown to increase an indivduals yearly salary by several thousands of pounds a year in-comparison to those who did no take Maths A level.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/alevel-in-maths-is-key-to-high-pay-1071914.html
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Wouldn't it be better to take maths if you're taking physics though? Surely you would be more likely to do well in the maths part of physics then? And also even if you didn't do amazingly well at gcse, at AS you'd be studying a lot less subjects so then you would be able to spend more time on maths which would hopefully help you get a good grade, since you can dedicate more time to understanding maths. And also maths does look a lot better than business would and will really compliment the 3 sciences :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by kidoo
This. But if it's not in him to do Maths then....it's just not him! Better he gets an A/B whatever in Business rather than a D/E in Maths if he can't do it.

I suggest you try and work on your maths for the next few days for at least 2-3 hours a day, you need to be really confident with manipulating algebra and surds / indicies or everything will go straight over your head.

The reward if you succeed? A decent grade in a very respectable A level that has been shown to increase an indivduals yearly salary by several thousands of pounds a year in-comparison to those who did no take Maths A level.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/alevel-in-maths-is-key-to-high-pay-1071914.html

Original post by fuzzydinos
Wouldn't it be better to take maths if you're taking physics though? Surely you would be more likely to do well in the maths part of physics then? And also even if you didn't do amazingly well at gcse, at AS you'd be studying a lot less subjects so then you would be able to spend more time on maths which would hopefully help you get a good grade, since you can dedicate more time to understanding maths. And also maths does look a lot better than business would and will really compliment the 3 sciences :smile:

Exactly
The reason I wanted to take Maths was because it Might Help Physics and It's a Decent Traditional Subject.
I'd Rather Get a A/B in Business than a C/D in maths.
Im Just Researching Degrees atm and Biomedical Science Looks alright, the requirements aren't tooo high e.g. some of the "Lower" Uni's want C's and B's
Thanks for the Help Guys.

And Im not Going to Drop Biology or Chemistry with either setup of Subjects
So if Physics Is too hard and Theres no maths to compliment it Physics will be dropped at AS-A2
and i'll take Bio, Chem and Business to A2
Bio,Chem and Business A2 - sounds alright?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15

And Im not Going to Drop Biology or Chemistry with either setup of Subjects
So if Physics Is too hard and Theres no maths to compliment it Physics will be dropped at AS-A2
and i'll take Bio, Chem and Business to A2
Bio,Chem and Business A2 - sounds alright?

Well as long as you meet the requirements for Biomedicine, and that you'll enjoy your subjects then that should be fine :smile: I agree that you should at least try maths for a couple of weeks to make sure that you're making the right decision though...
Reply 16
Original post by fuzzydinos
Well as long as you meet the requirements for Biomedicine, and that you'll enjoy your subjects then that should be fine :smile: I agree that you should at least try maths for a couple of weeks to make sure that you're making the right decision though...

Obviously Oxford is AAA
And im Hoping for at least B's maybe 1 C for A Levels
And That meets the requirements of some Universities.
Thing is the School Deadline for Sign On Forms is Next Friday, I've got 1 week extended as i Explained my situation C1 might be Okay, But in the long term Business is safer, I enjoy it More and I might just be able to pull out a decent grade in 1 or 2 years
That might explain some of it
But I do Genuinely Hate it - I mean I enjoy the 3 sciences and Happen to be alright at them. :P
It's not to Bad?
3 Science and Business A-Level (not btec)
Cheers :smile:x
Good Luck with whatever your studying (or working etc)

You hate maths? Don't do it then! Escape while you still can :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest