The Student Room Group

A level choices

So I'm planning to take Physics, Math, Further Math and Econ. However I haven't taken Economics at GCSEs. And along with further maths I don't know how hard it will be to grasp on something new like economics. Is the workload gonna be too much??? I just hope it's manageable..
Original post by lilian768
So I'm planning to take Physics, Math, Further Math and Econ. However I haven't taken Economics at GCSEs. And along with further maths I don't know how hard it will be to grasp on something new like economics. Is the workload gonna be too much??? I just hope it's manageable..

I think it will be better for you to drop further maths and keep physics, maths and economics. And I didn't have economics in my IGCSEs but I'm doing it in A levels. I find economics pretty interesting and easier than I had assumed it to be.
Reply 2
Original post by NazifaNawer
I think it will be better for you to drop further maths and keep physics, maths and economics. And I didn't have economics in my IGCSEs but I'm doing it in A levels. I find economics pretty interesting and easier than I had assumed it to be.

No if you want to do maths heavy courses like CS or Economics at top unis please don’t drop further maths.
Original post by anan0405
No if you want to do maths heavy courses like CS or Economics at top unis please don’t drop further maths.

Is further maths gonna be too difficult? I wouldn't be worried if I wasn't going to have econ which I have no previous experience of. Otherwise I'm pretty good at maths
Original post by lilian768

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. At A-Level, I took Maths, Further Maths, Geography and Psychology so doing 4 A-Levels is definitely possible. I would say that Maths and Further Maths do tend to go hand in hand and studying further maths did help me revise some of my maths. I think the best advice would be to try and see how it goes, just remember there is always the option to drop one if it does become too much. It isn't worth stressing about until you have tried it, you may find that actually you end up not even wanting to study one of the subjects regardless of if you can manage it.

Do you have any idea if you want to go on to study a degree and what sort of subject that would be in? As that can help decide which A-Levels may end up being most useful to you and which should be prioritised. If you didn't already know the majority of UK universities only consider your top three A-Level results anyway.

Please feel free to ask me any questions that you have.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest