The Student Room Group

Is this allowed in the exam room?

are you allowed to walk into the exam room and sit down, and before they say "you may begin", like, jot notes down on the front of the formula book from your memory. Or do you have to wait to do this until they say you may begin. I'm just thinking that some formulas i have trouble remembering, i could have a sheet of paper with me before i enter the exam room, and memorize it, throw away the paper, enter the exam, and write it down there and then, as opposed to waiting until time begins and wasting a minute or 2. I've never been sure if this is allowed so dont flame me, i've never done it, just wandering, as techically all you're doing is writing down things you've remembered.
No, you're not allowed to write anything on your formula booklet before the exam begins, as that would be almost as bad as bringing in a sheet with all the formulae on it. Why don't you just learn how to derive the formulae that you need, as you'll get a better understanding of the maths, and it'll help you to learn them, or allow you to derive them when you're in the exam itself? When I sat my A-Levels, I preferred learning/understanding how to derive formulae as opposed to rote learning them.
Reply 2
The main invigilator at my school for A-level says that you can't write anything at all on the formulae book, and if you do, you can be disqualified...
Reply 3
Simba
The main invigilator at my school for A-level says that you can't write anything at all on the formulae book, and if you do, you can be disqualified...

yah thats what the invigilator said in our college, you are liable to get disqualified.
Reply 4
At the start of the exam I usually write down a couple of formulas in my answer booklet and put them in a little box so I can remember them. Is that also not allowed?
Reply 5
p00p-
At the start of the exam I usually write down a couple of formulas in my answer booklet and put them in a little box so I can remember them. Is that also not allowed?

You can write what you like in your answer book, but not until the exam has started.
Reply 6
p00p-
As long as:

- the exam has started
- you are writing in your answer booklet

you are okay.

Simba is quite correct, marking your formulae book may lead to disqualification. It states clearly on the book NOT to mark it.
Reply 7
You Are Not Allowed To Write On Your Formula Booklet, I Wrote On My Answer Booklet Front And Back Cover :wink: THERE WAS NO PROBLEM AT WITH THAT
Reply 8
Just wait two minutes and write it down when the exam begins, your memory can't be that bad. I don't imagine it wil help all that much anyway, there aren't that many formulas for A-Level and the ones you have to know are used so often in the questions that its enevitable that with practise you would learn them off by heart. That's what you should be thinking about.
...just write the notes on the desk with a pencil and rub them off later :smile: but only AFTER the guy says you may start....actually dunno if that makes a difference
Reply 10
ok people thanks for clearing that up.
No probs

Latest