The Student Room Group

ear plugs/defenders during a-level exams?

i don't have autism/any neurodiverse diagnosis but i struggle with sounds quite a lot generally and was wondering if i need permission to wear ear plugs during exams

during gcse's my school let me have ear plugs during class + said i was allowed to use them during exams too, as i was under camhs for a while for something unrelated

but i'm in y13 now and at a different school, and only recently has the sounds during exams started to become extremely infuriating and distracting. tapping pens, sniffing, coughing, and loud breathing are some of my biggest triggers and today i became extremely infuriated and wasted some time trying to calm myself with my hands on my ears down during a mock exam. i've read into things like misophonia before but i'm aware that exams are so soon and the whole process of getting extra permission for an extra room or something like that is quite lengthy.

would i have to get permission for my school first to wear ear plugs during exams? they aren't ear defenders or anything very noticeable. i wasn't sure if i'd even be allowed to as im not diagnosed with anything. my main worry is that in the real exam this could really set me back + if i do wear them w/o permission what would happen if i get caught
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by emelianiloufar
i don't have autism/any neurodiverse diagnosis but i struggle with sounds quite a lot generally and was wondering if i need permission to wear ear plugs during exams

during gcse's my school let me have ear plugs during class + said i was allowed to use them during exams too, as i was under camhs for a while for something unrelated

but i'm in y13 now and at a different school, and only recently has the sounds during exams started to become extremely infuriating and distracting. tapping pens, sniffing, coughing, and loud breathing are some of my biggest triggers and today i became extremely infuriated and wasted some time trying to calm myself with my hands on my ears down during a mock exam. i've read into things like misophonia before but i'm aware that exams are so soon and the whole process of getting extra permission for an extra room or something like that is quite lengthy.

would i have to get permission for my school first to wear ear plugs during exams? they aren't ear defenders or anything very noticeable. i wasn't sure if i'd even be allowed to as im not diagnosed with anything. my main worry is that in the real exam this could really set me back + if i do wear them w/o permission what would happen if i get caught
hi! so I asked my SENCO a few months ago about this (I have autism + ADHD and so was worried about sounds leading to overstiumlation) and she said anybody can bring ear defenders or ear plugs into the exam as long as they can be proven as not being electronic, might help to talk to your school SENCO or exams officer as they can make sure the exam boards/regulators(?) are aware in advance
Original post by emelianiloufar
i have this same exact issue, except that im doing my gcses next month. im not diagnosed with misophonia, but ive struggled with this issue since i was 12. AND TO MAKE IT WORSE, if we sit in alphabetical order, the boy that will sit behind me is ALWAYS sick, and always sniffs and coughs and sneezes and it triggers me sm. i might wear ear plugs, but i havent told anyone abt my issue apart from my brother, and i dont really want to.

have u found an answer about if you can tho???
hope ur a levels go well!!!
Original post by feiwnfvioebd
i have this same exact issue, except that im doing my gcses next month. im not diagnosed with misophonia, but ive struggled with this issue since i was 12. AND TO MAKE IT WORSE, if we sit in alphabetical order, the boy that will sit behind me is ALWAYS sick, and always sniffs and coughs and sneezes and it triggers me sm. i might wear ear plugs, but i havent told anyone abt my issue apart from my brother, and i dont really want to.
have u found an answer about if you can tho???
hope ur a levels go well!!!

hey, sorry to hear you're in the same situation :frown:
yea, there's a girl who always sits infront of me who taps her foot and it drives me insane, so i get you.
i asked my tutor about it, and she said that without extra persmission or a diagnosis it isnt allowed. if you get caught you risk disqualification from all ur papers. i'm not sure if this would work but there's a girl in one of my classes who sits at the back of the exam hall due to anxiety - perhaps you could ask about this?

Quick Reply

Latest