The Student Room Group

Can you sit an exam before start time?

Hi guys

I need to leave for London from Birmingham on Tuesday and hopefully get there by 4pm (I'm on a motorbike, so traffic isnt a big issue)

I've got an AQA decision 1 maths exam on Tuesday at 1:30pm. The problem is it finishes at 3;00 pm. Is it possible to start the paper early like at 12;15 and finish 1:45 , when everyone has started (to avoid cheating ; as it may be inferred)

P.S. Im an external candidate at my old school (if that helps anything)
Reply 1
Original post by rehmh05
Hi guys

I need to leave for London from Birmingham on Tuesday and hopefully get there by 4pm (I'm on a motorbike, so traffic isnt a big issue)

I've got an AQA decision 1 maths exam on Tuesday at 1:30pm. The problem is it finishes at 3;00 pm. Is it possible to start the paper early like at 12;15 and finish 1:45 , when everyone has started (to avoid cheating ; as it may be inferred)

No. You can't start exams early.
Nah, doubt they'll let you tbh
Reply 3
If you did, you'd need to stay in the room until 2.30 (an hour after the exam 'officially starts'). And you probably should have sorted this out weeks ago with their exams office.
Reply 4
Original post by Eanzi
If you did, you'd need to stay in the room until 2.30 (an hour after the exam 'officially starts'). And you probably should have sorted this out weeks ago with their exams office.

That's still better than 3:00 pm. Is that an official ruling? Can i have some reference so i can speak to my exams officer with regards

Thanks
Original post by rehmh05
Hi guys

No.

Do the exam and then just average 126 on the way there.
Reply 6
I always sat my exams about 20 minutes early, but I was in a room on my own using a word processor.
Reply 7
Original post by Joshb873
I always sat my exams about 20 minutes early, but I was in a room on my own using a word processor.

You will have started them early as part of your adjustments (because you have a good reason for doing this). But you can't just start early because you feel like it.
Reply 8
Original post by Guills on wheels
No.

Do the exam and then just average 126 on the way there.

I did consider that but the M1 now has the new smart cameras / inprogress...

Im taking the M40 anyway but Its a risk which I want to minimise. Off course then I have the problem of central london or M25(which has new cameras again)

Need to get to E7 , any advised routes?

Thanks
Original post by rehmh05
I did consider that but the M1 now has the new smart cameras / inprogress...

Im taking the M40 anyway but Its a risk which I want to minimise. Off course then I have the problem of central london or M25(which has new cameras again)

Need to get to E7 , any advised routes?

Thanks

It depends. If you don't want to hit rush hour, I know you're on a bike but it's still hell, then the North Circular will take you all the way round. I would prefer central london tbh, it might be safer. But then, you would have come down the M40...

Central London; M40 -> A40 (Westway) past Marylebone and Regents park, to King's Cross, then up Pentonville Road, across the Angel, down City Road, left at Old Street Roundabout, then immediately fork right down to Whitechapel, then left onto Whitechapel road will take you there.
Reply 10
Original post by rehmh05
That's still better than 3:00 pm. Is that an official ruling? Can i have some reference so i can speak to my exams officer with regards

Thanks

I think JCQ rules are that people can enter an exam up to an hour after it begins, but it's up to each centre on whether they allow it. Their rules on the earliest you can leave depend on that.

Anyway, some exams start like 5 mins before or after the 'official' time but I doubt they'll let you start earlier than that unless everybody else is there early.
Reply 11
Original post by Eanzi
I think JCQ rules are that people can enter an exam up to an hour after it begins, but it's up to each centre on whether they allow it. Their rules on the earliest you can leave depend on that.

Anyway, some exams start like 5 mins before or after the 'official' time but I doubt they'll let you start earlier than that unless everybody else is there early.

Thanks

And thank you everyone else for your input.

Ill speak to exam officer and see thier response

Good night
Original post by Juno
You will have started them early as part of your adjustments (because you have a good reason for doing this). But you can't just start early because you feel like it.

I was supposed to start at 9am. That was my start time. I always ask the person guarding me "Can I start now?" usually at about 8:40am. They always let me.
Nothing to do with adjustment or any of this stuff you want to come out with.

Also, my last 2 hours exam I finished after 1hr30 minutes and they let me leave early :smile:
Reply 13
It's still because you're in a separate room as part of your adjustments :rolleyes:

And everyone is allowed to leave early so that's nothing special

I was supposed to start at 9am. That was my start time. I always ask the person guarding me "Can I start now?" usually at about 8:40am. They always let me.
Nothing to do with adjustment or any of this stuff you want to come out with.

Also, my last 2 hours exam I finished after 1hr30 minutes and they let me leave early :smile:
Original post by Juno
It's still because you're in a separate room as part of your adjustments :rolleyes:

And everyone is allowed to leave early so that's nothing special

The only exam I ever had in an exam hall, half of us had finished about 20 minutes early and had to wait for the other half to finish... little confused how you think your regulations apply to every single centre... but ok
Reply 15
The only exam I ever had in an exam hall, half of us had finished about 20 minutes early and had to wait for the other half to finish... little confused how you think your regulations apply to every single centre... but ok

Because the whole point of exam regulations is that the exams do apply to every centre. Otherwise, one centre would allow mobile phones and another would allow talking, and another would let people leave straight away to talk to the people who were allowed to start late etc - but that's clearly silly. So the exam boards publish books of regulations, and they specify what time you're allowed to leave the exam room (depending on exam length, it's usually not within the last half an hour or first bit, so for the one where you had to sit and wait, that will be why).

Have you never seen the lists of exam regulations or had posters in the exam hall? I fail to see how you can have sat any exam and not realised there are standardised rules. How else would national exams exist?
Original post by Juno
Because the whole point of exam regulations is that the exams do apply to every centre. Otherwise, one centre would allow mobile phones and another would allow talking, and another would let people leave straight away to talk to the people who were allowed to start late etc - but that's clearly silly. So the exam boards publish books of regulations, and they specify what time you're allowed to leave the exam room (depending on exam length, it's usually not within the last half an hour or first bit, so for the one where you had to sit and wait, that will be why).

Have you never seen the lists of exam regulations or had posters in the exam hall? I fail to see how you can have sat any exam and not realised there are standardised rules. How else would national exams exist?

I guess my College is just breaking the rules then :biggrin:
did he make it

Quick Reply

Latest