The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aeterno
Everytime I get an idea I have no pen/paper at hand :frown: (Probably because it's often when I wake up in the middle of the night and think 'THAT'S GREAT!' then immediately fall back to sleep again :tongue:)

As for the intro - I see where you're coming from - it's good to have some kind of idea where you're going. Generally, my essays tend to change as I write it anyway so that I can deal with (just about!) but I can understand how frustrating it is. We're expected to have all our chapters planned out at the very least by the end of term for our presentation! :eek: I have an idea of chapters but it's going to change so much in 2 months and I worry I won't have anything to talk about by then.

Yea, I had a preliminary idea for chapters (mainly chapter titles...), and then doing some research just shifted the dynamics of my potential argument. Think next supervision I'm going through structure with my supervisor. My first proposal was actually relatively straightforward for chapters 'cause I was gonna do 1 text per chapter, but completely changed idea this term, so re-wrote proposal and it's now probably a more thematic comparison between two texts. Probably not even that tbh, I'm not sure. One is a literary text, the other offering context. So many questions about the dissertation, but I think it'll be interesting. I think my department and module convenors will eventually want progress reports which puts a downer on everything as I work much less structured, but I suppose that can help you keep a top on things. Urg, admin. Just let me do my work.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I think I'm gonna leave my intro til the last minute, so that I can reference the latest articles etc. on Glee :yep:

I thought about that, but if you referenced an article which was only published a few weeks before your dissertation was due in, is that not a bit of a clue that you've left it until the last minute, and didn't do your literature review before you conducted your own research?
My work on my dissertation hasn't been straight forward, have been writing a bit of my lit review then getting bored of so moving onto my methodology. When i get bored of that i'll do a bit of analysis lol. Not very organised but i seem to get an idea on what to do or write for a specific chapter and end up doing some of that instead of what i previously was working on. Am easily distracted.
Just sent off what i have done so far to my tutor after avoiding him for the past 2 weeks :P (draft was meant to be handed in :frown: )fingers crossed it's not all terrible.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I thought about that, but if you referenced an article which was only published a few weeks before your dissertation was due in, is that not a bit of a clue that you've left it until the last minute, and didn't do your literature review before you conducted your own research?

There's not much literature to go on, tbh. I've had to put aside doing dissertation reading for the time being to focus on this term's courses but the questionnaire should be going live in a few weeks' time :awesome: It's not really related to any lit review stuff, so should be OK :smile:
Reply 184
Original post by SilGathien
Yea, I had a preliminary idea for chapters (mainly chapter titles...), and then doing some research just shifted the dynamics of my potential argument. Think next supervision I'm going through structure with my supervisor. My first proposal was actually relatively straightforward for chapters 'cause I was gonna do 1 text per chapter, but completely changed idea this term, so re-wrote proposal and it's now probably a more thematic comparison between two texts. Probably not even that tbh, I'm not sure. One is a literary text, the other offering context. So many questions about the dissertation, but I think it'll be interesting. I think my department and module convenors will eventually want progress reports which puts a downer on everything as I work much less structured, but I suppose that can help you keep a top on things. Urg, admin. Just let me do my work.

I think it'll just be one of those things where once you start writing, you'll know where you're going and things will fall into place. Gosh, progress reports sound annoying though but like you said it could be helpful. I'm going to avoid my supervisor until I've written something (or until I bump into him around campus, which is more likely :colonhash:) - I need to get cracking but I don't feel like I've read enough to write! Ah well, I can at least attempt something - it's going to change whatever I write :tongue:
I know I only posted an hour or so ago, but since then I've realised just how much work I have to do before Christmas!

Have to get my ethics form in, and also have to do three other assignments which are 3,000 words each. Already done one assignment, but then since being in the lectures for that module it makes me think it's much more simplistic than it could be. We get told to be organised and to do assignments in advance, but then we don't have the information until much later on in the term!
Original post by aeterno
I think it'll just be one of those things where once you start writing, you'll know where you're going and things will fall into place. Gosh, progress reports sound annoying though but like you said it could be helpful. I'm going to avoid my supervisor until I've written something (or until I bump into him around campus, which is more likely :colonhash:) - I need to get cracking but I don't feel like I've read enough to write! Ah well, I can at least attempt something - it's going to change whatever I write :tongue:

Hahaha, I don't think there will be any avoiding my supervisor for me! He teaches me for a twenty credit module both in autumn and spring, on top of the dissertation which runs all year. He might actually want to escape me by the end of the year, but no such luck for either of us though, masters looming :tongue:. Was quite funny the other week. I rapidly redid my proposal, emailed it to him Monday, got no response by Wednesday - or not that I was aware of because I had no internet and he did email me that afternoon... - so shoved the proposal under his door and stole a 1/4 of his office hours for the next day and then my friend reported to me the almost fell over the thing in the morning lmao :colondollar:. He's a lovely guy though, and hopefully his high expectations of me will transfer into me working hard and doing well. Here's to hoping anyway :biggrin:
Reply 187
Original post by SilGathien
Hahaha, I don't think there will be any avoiding my supervisor for me! He teaches me for a twenty credit module both in autumn and spring, on top of the dissertation which runs all year. He might actually want to escape me by the end of the year, but no such luck for either of us though, masters looming :tongue:. Was quite funny the other week. I rapidly redid my proposal, emailed it to him Monday, got no response by Wednesday - or not that I was aware of because I had no internet and he did email me that afternoon... - so shoved the proposal under his door and stole a 1/4 of his office hours for the next day and then my friend reported to me the almost fell over the thing in the morning lmao :colondollar:. He's a lovely guy though, and hopefully his high expectations of me will transfer into me working hard and doing well. Here's to hoping anyway :biggrin:

Mine teaches me once a week so even if I hid behind bushes everytime I saw him around campus I wouldn't be able to avoid him :tongue: (Not that I'd hide behind bushes just to avoid someone...of course :ninja:) Haha I know what you mean, I think he might actually celebrate once I graduate and am out of his way forever :biggrin: Pahahaha! :rofl: That does sound hilarious though :biggrin: I'm sure he would've found it amusing at the least :tongue: Let's hope we don't drive them to insanity! :ninja:
Finally! my supervisor does check emails! although slightly disconcertingly he doesn't know what I am planning on doing my project on...
And now that he has replied it has meant I have actually had to do work and explain to him my idea by email, which was all well and good until I realised my idea wasn't going to work. This is why I wanted a meeting so that if there were problems with the proposal at least I'd find out! I actually need advice on this project not just someone who would read it a couple of times throughout the year :frown:
185 days until my dissertation is due in. Worked out that I need to write 56 words per day to get it in on time. Sounds like nothing, but considering I'm not planning on starting it until I have ethical approval (you never know..) as I don't want to waste time if I'm not going to be able to use my idea. So can only start writing in December.. but still plenty of time, as I'm making sure everything else is done before that.
Yes sent supervisor an email should be getting the results sorted soon and I've worked out how to do my alignments from genetics lecture today going to get it finished tonight starting to feel much better about everything now :smile:.

Edit done a ticker for my IS!

(edited 12 years ago)
grrr.... Apparently my supervisor never recieved the email I sent him and our uni has just screwed up the messaging system by changing it so I can't find the message I sent him to prove that I sent it. Two days now and counting until the deadline I doubt I'll make it in time :frown:
I still haven't chosen a topic :/
Hello... :wavey: I'm doing a biomedical engineering dissertation this year, having spent three years doing medicine where I wrote a maximum of one essay a year :s-smilie: It's on mice models of osteoporosis, looking at microstructure with some fancy imaging technology, and my lit review is due in 9 days :eek: Deadline overall is May, but results need to be in by Feb... Productivity today has comprised of eating half a packet of oreos and gently rocking back and forth.
Original post by affinity89
Wow at that estimate. I must have spent about 4 hours a week on mine, with the exception of a couple of days I spent in the archives and the couple of weeks before the deadline when I actually wrote it. :smile:

Sorry to quote you three weeks after you wrote your post but that is surprising reassuring because my jaw dropped at the estimated time the previous poster is planned to allocate to theirs a week.

I have four other assignments, one of which is research intensive and includes interviews etc. so I really only have about 8hours a week because I am lazy. :biggrin:
Guys, how long is your literature review?
I am on 2,000 words at the moment and my dissertation word count is going to be approx 10,000. :biggrin: I need my literature review done by next week because I have other assignments due soon.

Someone told me that thier lit review was 4,000. Pretty crazy!
Reply 196
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
I am on 2,000 words at the moment and my dissertation word count is going to be approx 10,000. :biggrin: I need my literature review done by next week because I have other assignments due soon.

:eek: 4000! I would've thought 2000 words would be fine :yep: Check with your supervisor?

---

I've written some words one word! :woo: ...well, it's a start. :ninja:

I currently have 2k out of a total word limit of 15k, but I still have stuff to write, so I guess it'll be about 3k for the lit review.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I currently have 2k out of a total word limit of 15k, but I still have stuff to write, so I guess it'll be about 3k for the lit review.

That's ok, I am just going to aim for 3,000 then :colondollar:and see what the lecturer says :smile: .

Is everyone on tsr still at lit review stage? There isn't much activity on this thread which makes me worried that everyone is more dedicated hence has no time for this
That's ok, I am just going to aim for 3,000 then :colondollar:and see what the lecturer says :smile: .

Is everyone on tsr still at lit review stage? There isn't much activity on this thread which makes me worried that everyone is more dedicated hence has no time for this

My interpretation was that there's so little progress occurring that we have nothing to say on the topic of dissertations! :tongue: Certainly true in my case!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending