The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Got 1,000 words officially written now! It's kind of cheating slightly because I've used a couple of hundred from my research proposal but to be honest they were a good few paragraphs so no point not using them! Feel much, much better now that I am at least 10% of the way through it; still with several months to go before it's due in (end of April).

Hope everyone else is doing well. I am hoping to get a couple of hundred more words done today. Mum's having an operation on Monday which will mean she can't walk or drive for two weeks so I'm anticipating that I'm going to have to do a lot of work around the house, cooking/cleaning etc, so the dissertation might have to take a bit of a back seat. It would be awesome if I could get as much as possible done before then!
how long is it advised to spend on the researching secondary material for my dissertation?. and how many weeks should i spend on composing my dissertation. my dissertation is ten thousand words. i would appreciate if someone could clarify this
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 382
Original post by katiegreen18
how long is it advised to spend on the researching secondary material for my dissertation?. and how many weeks should i spend on composing my dissertation. my dissertation is ten thousand words. i would appreciate if someone could clarify this

Um, I don't think there's a set amount of time to spend on it. It depends on so many factors - how fast you read/write, if you're ok with spending lots of time just reading or you need breaks etc. I think the best thing to do is do some reading, then start writing as soon as you get some ideas, then read more, then write more, etc. rather than reading in one go then writing in one go. When's it due in?
5,000 words printed off and ready to hand in on Monday :smile:
Original post by aeterno
Um, I don't think there's a set amount of time to spend on it. It depends on so many factors - how fast you read/write, if you're ok with spending lots of time just reading or you need breaks etc. I think the best thing to do is do some reading, then start writing as soon as you get some ideas, then read more, then write more, etc. rather than reading in one go then writing in one go. When's it due in?

Its due in 15 weeks time I just don't know how to divide my time that is why am asking so that I can follow the same path. I was thinking of researching for 5 weeks then writing up for one month then edit for another month. do you reckon that this is a good time table?????

So am thinking of doing spending 35hours a week on my dissertation research for the next 4 to 5 weeks, would this be fine.

???
Reply 385
Its due in 15 weeks time I just don't know how to divide my time that is why am asking so that I can follow the same path. I was thinking of researching for 5 weeks then writing up for one month then edit for another month. do you reckon that this is a good time table?????

So am thinking of doing spending 35hours a week on my dissertation research for the next 4 to 5 weeks, would this be fine.

???

Yeah 35 hours a week would be fine if you're a fast reader and quick at making notes. Although, like I said earlier, do some writing in between. It really, really does help and it will make the whole thing far more manageable. If you need to follow a timetable to help you, maybe you can research on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and write on Tuesday/Thursday/Weekend or something like that? Writing in one go will only stress you out and will take up far more time! Have you talked to your supervisor? He/she might be able to help you come up with a good plan and if you have mini deadlines to work towards it could help with progress.
Original post by aeterno
Yeah 35 hours a week would be fine if you're a fast reader and quick at making notes. Although, like I said earlier, do some writing in between. It really, really does help and it will make the whole thing far more manageable. If you need to follow a timetable to help you, maybe you can research on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and write on Tuesday/Thursday/Weekend or something like that? Writing in one go will only stress you out and will take up far more time! Have you talked to your supervisor? He/she might be able to help you come up with a good plan and if you have mini deadlines to work towards it could help with progress.

Thanks for your advice. Sadly I dont get much help from supervisor. :frown:
Just been through the bibliography of one of my secondary texts, and have ended up with another 13 primary sources to look at :s-smilie:

Although I'm not expecting to be able to find all of them - a few are from journals ~1850, and a quick google search has provided little joy in locating them.
Hey guys! a general question - in a week how many hours do you spend on your dissertation? and how much is your dissertation worth?
Hey guys! a general question - in a week how many hours do you spend on your dissertation? and how much is your dissertation worth?

Mine's worth 50% of the year (so, 50% of my entire BSc :s-smilie:) and I am supposed to spend something like 30hours on it a week. So far this week I've spent about 3 and a half hours...

Mine was worth 30 credits, so 12.5% of my degree classification.
It was 10,000 words and I didn't spend any sort of regular time amount on it. I did say 10 hours some weeks, maybe even 20, but then went for weeks without looking at it. :smile: I just worked better in bursts like that, where I could really focus and get 'in the mindset'. It meant I could focus on my seminar readings and other essays the rest of the time [when I wasn't at work] - given I had at least 8 other essays that year, varying from 2,000 to 3,000 words, it made sense for me. :smile:
Reply 391
My tutor isn't responding to my e-mails, I don't know what to do :frown:
Original post by nadiah

see him in person or call him sometimes their number is on the uni website :biggrin:. Do anything don't feel bad or guilty sometimes you have to be very pushy and persistent.
Original post by nadiah

Lurking outside their office can be useful. It's difficult to not respond to someone stood in front of you, even if that response is just "I'll reply to your email today".
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Lurking outside their office can be useful. It's difficult to not respond to someone stood in front of you, even if that response is just "I'll reply to your email today".

LOL I think that that is the best method :tongue:
Reply 395
Original post by nadiah

Follow them home and hide in their wardrobe and tell them you won't leave until they reply

Pop into their office :tongue:
My document of quotes/research is now officially longer than my dissertation will be :colondollar:
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];35949247']My document of quotes/research is now officially longer than my dissertation will be :colondollar:

PRSOM :yes:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Got 1,000 words officially written now!

Wrote that this time last week; now have 2,700 words, and a whole weekend to dedicate to it (which I hopefully will do).

Written most of my introduction, done my method and ethics, plus results. Need to insert my tables and pie charts (I have 6 of the stupid things) and write my discussion, conclusion, abstract, and a bit more on my introduction.

I'm imagining my discussion will be huge, as I have ten separate variables to talk about, which is why I'm trying to write that before I bulk my intro. I could do with another couple of hundred words on the method but if I don't have them to spare at the end then I guess it isn't essential.

Yes I use this thread to talk to myself most of the time, hope nobody minds! :biggrin:.
Reply 399
Screw you, political theory. Screw. You. I did not want to include you in my dissertation yet there you are, taunting me, threatening to tell my supervisor if I don't mention you, making my life miserable. You just wait until I graduate. I will burn you or shred you or something. Take that, you bastard.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending