The Student Room Group

***Official 2012 Neuroscience Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Awesomeosaurus
Good luck guys!
I'm currently in my first year. So if you have any neurosciencey questions, ASK ME :biggrin:

Nice!
quite simply, how are you finding it? Did everything live up to what you thought it'd be like? and where are you studying?
:smile:
Original post by Minotauro
Nice!
quite simply, how are you finding it? Did everything live up to what you thought it'd be like? and where are you studying?
:smile:

Ello,
I'm at Manchester Uni.
The first year just goes over general Biology- everything from evolution to DNA replication. I'm not very fond of this stuff, so I'm just trying to get through this year so I can get to the good bits :smile:
It's pretty easy to be honest, nothing particularly shocking if you've done A-level biology.
do anyone apply to edinburgh? which year of entry did you apply for? 1st or 2nd year?

cause i've just realised that the course will take like 4 years after I've got an offer from this uni, and read from the prospectus that its actually possible to have direct entry to 2nd year :P will it be actually a good idea to study for 4 years instead of 3 years(even though it ends up with a BSc)? i'm a bit afraid that it may be a waste of time, but someone tells me that it may better if i spend one more year studying the basics first ...

please can anyone answer me? :s-smilie:
Reply 583
Original post by Awesomeosaurus
Ello,
I'm at Manchester Uni.
The first year just goes over general Biology- everything from evolution to DNA replication. I'm not very fond of this stuff, so I'm just trying to get through this year so I can get to the good bits :smile:
It's pretty easy to be honest, nothing particularly shocking if you've done A-level biology.

Where are you living in Manchester? I've put Oak House and Whitworth Park as my accommodation preferences, is this a good idea..?
Also, I've not taken A level Chemistry (but I got an A* at GCSE) - will this disavantage me? How much Chemistry is in the course?
Thank you XD
Reply 584
Original post by bilabilabila
do anyone apply to edinburgh? which year of entry did you apply for? 1st or 2nd year?

cause i've just realised that the course will take like 4 years after I've got an offer from this uni, and read from the prospectus that its actually possible to have direct entry to 2nd year :P will it be actually a good idea to study for 4 years instead of 3 years(even though it ends up with a BSc)? i'm a bit afraid that it may be a waste of time, but someone tells me that it may better if i spend one more year studying the basics first ...

please can anyone answer me? :s-smilie:

I applied for the first year, but then I never thought too much about it because I don't have to worry about fees because I get a full grant anyway. What appealed to me a lot about Edinburgh (although not enough to make it my top choice) was the fact that, in the first year, you could take loads of modules (or whatever they are called) that are not to do with your subject. I guess if you go straight into second year you have to focus more and not mess around so much.
Anyway, is there any way you can change it now? If not then there's probably no need to worry too much about it, it's the way it is.
Original post by braiiins
I applied for the first year, but then I never thought too much about it because I don't have to worry about fees because I get a full grant anyway. What appealed to me a lot about Edinburgh (although not enough to make it my top choice) was the fact that, in the first year, you could take loads of modules (or whatever they are called) that are not to do with your subject. I guess if you go straight into second year you have to focus more and not mess around so much.
Anyway, is there any way you can change it now? If not then there's probably no need to worry too much about it, it's the way it is.

i am not too sure whether i can change it, cause i received the offer during christmas holiday... and i applied ages ago (early October)... i think if i email them to ask them may have a bad impression on me since its an obvious option that i should have ask long loooooong time ago.:frown:

i know the good sides of studying for an extra year, yet for some reason this matter just come to my mind today that i couldnt stop thinking of it:

i have to pay the full amount $$$$... my family is ok with that but i feel a bit guilty of taking up so much expenses and studying for 1 more year than expected for a BSc.. and by that time when i graduate, my friends will have their MSc done or find a job already.
I really want to study for at least a MSc as well, while i m already 1.5 year older than an average UK students (because my family had once moved to all sorts of places around the world, then later on decide to move back to the UK :P) I just do not want to lose my time anymore. :redface:

i m typing in a sleepy mode so hope you don't mind if any of these doesn't make sense at all :rolleyes:
Who are going to kcl 28/3 open day? :smile:
Reply 587
I've noticed there were no IB students on the offer page (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Neuroscience_Offers_2012) so I've put 4 of mine (still waiting to hear from St Andrews) :smile:
Reply 588
is it a really bad sign that I STILL haven't heard back from UCL? or is it to be expected due to the questionnaire causing the process to take longer?
Reply 589
Offer from Leeds - AAB with an A in biology, which is what I'm predicted a B in. And no nice email or anything. Baaah. I was hoping for an ABB offer to use as my insurance... But, at least, FINALLY, they replied.
Reply 590
Has anyone heard back from Bristol yet? I've got two offers and I sent it off in Oct, so I'd really like to know! :/
Reply 591
Original post by egog0
Has anyone heard back from Bristol yet? I've got two offers and I sent it off in Oct, so I'd really like to know! :/

Oh, well you're welcome for showing you the thread :tongue: Maybe this will help you too
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Neuroscience_Offers_2012
Reply 592
Oh, well you're welcome for showing you the thread :tongue: Maybe this will help you too
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Neuroscience_Offers_2012

Haha, I'm sorry, I definately would have thanked you if I'd realised, I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time on here. There's so much to look at... :wink: Thank you EVER SO MUCH! :biggrin:
I'm under-grad too, I thought I saw something that implied you two were both post-grad... see, no idea what I'm doing. :colondollar: Thanks again for the link!
Reply 593
Original post by egog0
Haha, I'm sorry, I definately would have thanked you if I'd realised, I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time on here. There's so much to look at... :wink: Thank you EVER SO MUCH! :biggrin:
I'm under-grad too, I thought I saw something that implied you two were both post-grad... see, no idea what I'm doing. :colondollar: Thanks again for the link!

Sorry. I guess I'm in a not particularly great mood :tongue:
Where else did you apply?
Reply 594
Sorry. I guess I'm in a not particularly great mood :tongue:
Where else did you apply?

Heyy, don't be down, you got an offer! I applied to Dundee, Cardiff, Bristol, Leeds and Nottingham. I've had offers from Leeds and Notts, and a rejection from Cardiff, but aside from that I've heard nothing. Yourself?
Reply 595
Original post by egog0
Heyy, don't be down, you got an offer! I applied to Dundee, Cardiff, Bristol, Leeds and Nottingham. I've had offers from Leeds and Notts, and a rejection from Cardiff, but aside from that I've heard nothing. Yourself?

Offers from Leeds, Manchester, Sussex and Keele. Haven't heard from Edinburgh yet.
Thank you :smile: All is good I guess. Where's your top choice?
Reply 596
Offers from Leeds, Manchester, Sussex and Keele. Haven't heard from Edinburgh yet.
Thank you :smile: All is good I guess. Where's your top choice?

I'm thinking I'll probably go for Notts now Cardiff's rejected me. Did Manchester need chem? I decided not to apply because I figured they'd need it, and picked Cardiff instead, so if I coulda got into Manch I'll be bummed.
Bristol's *hopefully* going to be my second choice, fingers crossed. How about you?
Reply 597
Original post by egog0
I'm thinking I'll probably go for Notts now Cardiff's rejected me. Did Manchester need chem? I decided not to apply because I figured they'd need it, and picked Cardiff instead, so if I coulda got into Manch I'll be bummed.
Bristol's *hopefully* going to be my second choice, fingers crossed. How about you?

Nope, I don't have chemistry, which is how I narrowed down my choices majorly :tongue:
Didn't Cardiff need chemistry?
Manchester my top, definitely.
Nice to see someone else without chemistry :smile: There don't seem to be many people... I just couldn't face it at A level.
Reply 598
Nope, I don't have chemistry, which is how I narrowed down my choices majorly :tongue:
Didn't Cardiff need chemistry?
Manchester my top, definitely.
Nice to see someone else without chemistry :smile: There don't seem to be many people... I just couldn't face it at A level.

Unfortunately yes they did, and it didn't come to my attention until after I got over-excited that Stephen Fry was the patron of Neuro there.
Damn, I'm a tad annoyed that I didn't apply for Manch now.
Yeah, I contemplated doing chemistry as an AS this year on top of the A2s, but I decided on Extended project instead. How close are you to Manchester? Everywhere I could apply to was about 4/5 hours away from me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EJ94
is it a really bad sign that I STILL haven't heard back from UCL? or is it to be expected due to the questionnaire causing the process to take longer?

I hope it's not, because I haven't heard either. I guess thats better than a rejection?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending