The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NutterFrutter
It's 240/300 UMS for an A at AS.

Cool, thanks :smile:
Reply 101
I have a few simple questions that i need answered please. I just want to clarify things :smile:

1) Give two ways in which the properties of ATP make it a suitable source of energy in biological processes

2) Anaerobic respiration takes place in the cytoplasm, which isn't an organelle right? & The electron transport chain isn't involved because it takes place when there is a lack of oxygen right?

3)Humans synthesise more than their body mass of ATP each day. Explain why it is necessary for them to synthesise such a large amount of ATP?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 102
Original post by mzmo
I have a few simple questions that i need answered please. I just want to clarify things :smile:

1) Give two ways in which the properties of ATP make it a suitable source of energy in biological processes
Relatively soluble
Releases a small, but manageable amount of energy - compared to glucose
Immediate source of energy

Energy can be released easily as its hydrolysed via a single step mechanism :smile:
2) Anaerobic respiration takes place in the cytoplasm, which isn't an organelle right? & The electron transport chain isn't involved because it takes place when there is a lack of oxygen right?
Yes - ETC, krebs, or the link reaction aren't involved due to the lack of oxygen.

3)Humans synthesise more than their body mass of ATP each day. Explain why it is necessary for them to synthesise such a large amount of ATP?
Humans need ATP for muscle contraction,active transport etc.
ATP can't be stored.

Thanks in advance.

here ya go :smile:
Reply 103
Original post by EffKayy
here ya go :smile:

You're awesome! Cleared up a few things, thanks!:biggrin:
Energy and ecosystems make me want to kill myself - if I wanted to study geography, I'd have taken geography!

Some of the selection stuff isn't much better; the question on black-, chocolate- and cinammon-coloured cats from the June 2011 paper (that we did as a mock) made me die a little inside. :tongue:

I love photosynthesis and respiration though and the genetics in Unit 5 looks pretty interesting! :biggrin:
Original post by PatrickD

Energy and ecosystems make me want to kill myself - if I wanted to study geography, I'd have taken geography!

Some of the selection stuff isn't much better; the question on black-, chocolate- and cinammon-coloured cats from the June 2011 paper (that we did as a mock) made me die a little inside. :tongue:

I love photosynthesis and respiration though and the genetics in Unit 5 looks pretty interesting! :biggrin:

Unit 5 does look interesting, I hate the ecology stuff in Unit 4. :sigh:
Reply 106
hey does anyone have june 2011, question paper and mark scheme? thanks
Reply 107

How did you do overall then in the mock? :smile:
Reply 108
on the last practice paper i did, there was actually a question about blue geese.

IN MY 18 YEARS ON THE PLANET I HAVE NOT ONCE SEEN A BLUE GOOSE.
Original post by EffKayy
How did you do overall then in the mock? :smile:

I haven't got my result yet (I was supposed to get it today as we broke up for Christmas today) but hopefully someone who is going in tomorrow can get it for me. I'm only expecting a B/C because I missed out a couple of questions and we had to do it after school so I left after an hour as I really could not be bothered! I also did no revision (other things to be preparing for at the time). :colondollar:

So to answer your question, probably really badly! :redface: With some revision I should hopefully be able to get an A in January though. :cool:
Original post by poison.
on the last practice paper i did, there was actually a question about blue geese.

IN MY 18 YEARS ON THE PLANET I HAVE NOT ONCE SEEN A BLUE GOOSE.

They are actually grey but a lot of grey animals are referred to as blue. Blue geese are also known as snow geese:

Original post by beckswilkinson
Can anyone find the 2011 June paper?!

It hasnt been released yet because colleges use it for mocks.
Reply 112
They are actually grey but a lot of grey animals are referred to as blue. Blue geese are also known as snow geese:

the question was about how white snow geese are better than blue snow geese.. good knowledge :biggrin:
i thought it would be something like this, cause you call that kind of weird grey-y colour blue with cats aswell; but it was a ridiculously hard question anyway, and so little of the exam seems to actually be biology so i thought i'd whine a bit xD
Original post by poison.
the question was about how white snow geese are better than blue snow geese.. good knowledge :biggrin:
i thought it would be something like this, cause you call that kind of weird grey-y colour blue with cats aswell; but it was a ridiculously hard question anyway, and so little of the exam seems to actually be biology so i thought i'd whine a bit xD

Haha, yeah I vaguely remember doing that question in class. It was bloody awful. The only bit I managed to fathom was something to do with migration but the over-riding thought I had throughout attempting it was, "Who cares?!"

Yeah, HSW questions and the vague application of knowledge can be so frustrating. It was great on the Unit 2 paper last year because I hadn't revised properly but still managed to get an A because I just used my common sense but for Unit 4 I'd love a load of 4/5/6 mark questions that merely require you to regurgitate any relevant knowledge about a topic! :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 114
Haha, yeah I vaguely remember doing that question in class. It was bloody awful. The only bit I managed to fathom was something to do with migration but the over-riding thought I had throughout attempting it was, "Who cares?!"

Yeah, HSW questions and the vague application of knowledge can be so frustrating. It was great on the Unit 2 paper last year because I hadn't revised properly but still managed to get an A because I just used my common sense but for Unit 4 I'd love a load of 4/5/6 mark questions that merely require you to regurgitate any relevant knowledge about a topic! :rolleyes:

tbh im sure it has been pointed out here somewhere, but if i wanted to do geography i'd have done geography :frown:. Fully hating this populations ****, the contents too simplistic and the questions are too hard (that doesn't make any sense does it? ;D)

im just hoping i do well in the last 3/4 5 mark questions at the end tbh. I desperately need at least an A (biology is the only subject im good at) and these HSW questions are basically ruining my chances of uni :/.

oh and hi-5 on basically blagging the unit 2 because of the HSW questions :biggrin: i miss AS biology nearly as much as i miss GCSEs ;D)
Original post by poison.
tbh im sure it has been pointed out here somewhere, but if i wanted to do geography i'd have done geography :frown:. Fully hating this populations ****, the contents too simplistic and the questions are too hard (that doesn't make any sense does it? ;D)

im just hoping i do well in the last 3/4 5 mark questions at the end tbh. I desperately need at least an A (biology is the only subject im good at) and these HSW questions are basically ruining my chances of uni :/.

oh and hi-5 on basically blagging the unit 2 because of the HSW questions :biggrin: i miss AS biology nearly as much as i miss GCSEs ;D)

That would have been me that made the comment about geography! :wink:

Yeah, same. This time I'll have to make sure I actually learn the content to pick up those precious regurgitation marks though!

Haha, AS and GCSE were so easy to blag. Looking back, I still can't believe the first couple of modules for GCSE biology, chemistry and physics were multiple choice! :biggrin:
Reply 116
That would have been me that made the comment about geography! :wink:

seriously! well i thought it was genius anyway :smile: unit 5 should be wayy better through its all human bio, and plants suck.

Yeah, same. This time I'll have to make sure I actually learn the content to pick up those precious regurgitation marks though!

Haha, AS and GCSE were so easy to blag. Looking back, I still can't believe the first couple of modules for GCSE biology, chemistry and physics were multiple choice! :biggrin:

WHAT!? MULTIPLE CHOICE!? MINE WERE NOT MULTIPLE CHOICE! THAT IS SERIOUSLY UNFAIR; WE HAD TO WRITE ESSAYS ON THINGS AND DO CALCULATIONS AND... WHAT!?
which exam board was this!?

i feel cheated.
Reply 117
hi everyone, hope revison is going well :smile:
could someone explain systematic sampling to me please, i know random is to avoid bias e.t.c. but in class we were goin over transects and quadrats and the teacher said something about quadrats being a random sampling technique and transects being systematic and it threw me :s-smilie: any help would be great.

thanks in advance, Sam.
Original post by Sam-8
could someone explain systematic sampling to me please, i know random is to avoid bias e.t.c. but in class we were goin over transects and quadrats and the teacher said something about quadrats being a random sampling technique and transects being systematic and it threw me :s-smilie: any help would be great.

thanks in advance, Sam.

Using quadrats as a method of random sampling involves 3 main stages:

1) Using two tape measures as axis, lay them out along the two sides of the area you wish to study

2) Obtain a series of numbers to use as co-ordinates from a random source for example, computer generated

3) Place the quadrat at the intersection of each pair of co-ordinates and record the species within it i.e count the number of organisms if this is what you are recording

Systematic sampling along transects is a way to measure the abundance and distribution of species in a systematic way as opposed to a random manner. This is useful when the there is a transition amongst the communities of plants and/or animals you are studying. In this method using either a line transect or belt transect you can record the species that come into contact with the line above it, made from a string or tape. Transects are described as systematic because as like the quadrat sampling you're not generating any random number to be used as co-ordinates or anything, you are simply using a line/tape which is simply stretched across the ground and so are recording systematically if that makes sense?

This is my understanding of it anyway, I hope it's cleared things up for you :smile:
Reply 119
Original post by Sam-8

thanks in advance, Sam.

This type of sampling occurs when there's some sort of transition in the organisms (of one species), or movement, whereas for random sampling its where there is no transition (for plants only) Types of transects include line transects, where the number of organisms are recorded as they pass over the line, whereas for belt there are two tape measures or whatever, and organisms that pass through this will be recorded.

Can someone clarify that this is correct? Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending