The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by barzy_j
Actually wait, they both produced a offspring that were female and male both hairless so the girl must have inherited both Xd from parents, not tell me how that works if you have XDxd XDy? it doesn't

No, they only produced male hairless offspring... I think..
Reply 1781
Original post by XFire
What did people put for the 35C qn for the pigs? Why scientists don't do measurements at higher temperatures? I mentioned the mean growth rate being lowest but then didn't know where the next mark was, or if that's even a mark.. :/

Apparently it was because the efficiency of the last result and the one before were the same or something.
Reply 1782
Original post by XFire
What did people put for the 35C qn for the pigs? Why scientists don't do measurements at higher temperatures? I mentioned the mean growth rate being lowest but then didn't know where the next mark was, or if that's even a mark.. :/

Energy efficency was the same for 30 and 35 so repeat measurements not needed.
Reply 1783
Original post by barzy_j

Original post by barzy_j
Actually wait, they both produced a offspring that were female and male both hairless so the girl must have inherited both Xd from parents, not tell me how that works if you have XDxd XDy? it doesn't

I'm confused with the above bit.
But
XD Y
XD XDXD XDY
Xd XdXD XdY

25% male no hair
What did people for every pig Q

What about the trees and plants Q
Original post by Mission
Energy efficency was the same for 30 and 35 so repeat measurements not needed.

I said that but it was worth 2 markssss :'( life sucks haha

edít: sorry but i get all panicky and suicidal after every exam hahah
Reply 1786
Original post by juliewho
I got confused, wrote about quadrats, then thought they wanted a method like percentage cover in each quadrat, then I switched it to a transect. Not really sure what I was supposed to be writing about.

I put a belt transect with randomly distributed quadrats on it. Then calculate population density per quadrat by dividing the number of marram by the area of each quadrat...dunno if it's correct...
God, I really have no idea how this has gone!
Original post by Drex
For the single celled one I think any one of

More of it would be eaten (as it doesn't have bones etc)
OR
It has a higher net productivity idea would do.

I said the first point; the fact that more of the single celled algae will be eaten. I so hope that's right. It's logical but I think timing was such an issue, at this point I skipped that question and then came back to it after I did the questions at the end.
I doubt the grade boundaries will be higher than June 2011, question 7 on that paper was much easier than the question 7 on this paper, if anything grade boundaries will be slightly lower..
I also talked about percentage cover :ninja:
Reply 1791
How was people's timing, I didn't get to finish the HSW question, so lost around 10 marks cos I didn't even get onto it
Reply 1792

Original post by Drex
Apparently it was because the efficiency of the last result and the one before were the same or something.

Wouldn't it cause health problems to the pigs, denaturing enzymes etc over 35oC
Original post by izzwizz

Original post by izzwizz
Wouldn't it cause health problems to the pigs, denaturing enzymes etc over 35oC

No, it said they can survive above that temperature.
What did you guys say about the nitrate concentration decreasing?
Reply 1795
5 extra minutes would've made so much difference in this paper!
Original post by Drex
I put a belt transect with randomly distributed quadrats on it. Then calculate population density per quadrat by dividing the number of marram by the area of each quadrat...dunno if it's correct...

Oh I spoke about percentage cover of marram as it was asking for the distribution rather than the abundance of which you would just count the number of marram plants right? But I did speak about the systematic sampling along transects.
Reply 1797
Original post by EffKayy

I talked about number of marram grasses on the line transect and how it was systematic
For the "proof that it's on the X chromosome", would I get a mark for saying that any female offspring from a cross with a father with hair, would always have hair themselves, as the X from the father must always be passed on to the daughter; and then I used an example - although it only happened once in the diagram so it's not really proof that it always happens?
Also did you guys get 17.9% for the efficiency of energy transfer?
I calculated it as 17.85% but then rounded it up to 1 decimal place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending