The Student Room Group

Buying a car for the uni commute

I don't really know a great deal about cars :colondollar: but I need to buy something for the uni commute. It's a 45 min drive each way, three times a week on the motorway.

I've always driven big cars because I have children (grand scenic etc) but because this is just going to be *my* car, I want something a bit smaller.

I want a diesel (unless someone knows better :tongue: ) and it needs to be less than £1000. Needs to be reliable and good on fuel. Insurance isn't a problem because of my age and my no claims.

I have been looking at Peugeot 206s, around 6-10 years old - good choice or not?

Any help appreciated! Thanks :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jeffercake
I don't really know a great deal about cars :colondollar: but I need to buy something for the uni commute. It's a 45 min drive each way, three times a week on the motorway.

I've always driven big cars because I have children (grand scenic etc) but because this is just going to be *my* car, I want something a bit smaller.

I want a diesel (unless someone knows better :tongue: ) and it needs to be less than £1000. Needs to be reliable and good on fuel. Insurance isn't a problem because of my age and my no claims.

I have been looking at Peugeot 206s, around 6-10 years old - good choice or not?

Any help appreciated! Thanks :biggrin:

My wife does her commute to uni in a diesel, a little further than you and it makes a lot of sense.

I probably won't allow her to drive a Peugeot or any french car and probably won't allow her to commute in a 10 year old car though, especially if it is usually on a motorway.

I'm guessing at £1000 and to get a diesel it's going to be either a 10 year old one or a 6 year old one with rather high mileage to it. Are you prepared to rectify any faults it may have as it would most likely be at the age where loads of things will need replacement.
Reply 2
VW Passat would be my first choice.
Passat, mondeo, astra, focus, golf.
focus.
Reply 5
Mondeo TDDI. Don't buy the TDCI at that price point as the early versions are prone to failure. The TDDI is older, more noisy and a bit slower but is more reliable.

There's also a ton of Mondeos around so you'll have plenty of choice. Test drive loads of them, as there's bound to be bad examples.

I know you want a smaller car but sometimes going for a big one is the best choice since there's plenty around and you'll get value for money.

You could try the Focus TDDI as well, but they are more popular and I doubt you'll find many.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Erich Hartmann
My wife does her commute to uni in a diesel, a little further than you and it makes a lot of sense.

I probably won't allow her to drive a Peugeot or any french car and probably won't allow her to commute in a 10 year old car though, especially if it is usually on a motorway.

I'm guessing at £1000 and to get a diesel it's going to be either a 10 year old one or a 6 year old one with rather high mileage to it. Are you prepared to rectify any faults it may have as it would most likely be at the age where loads of things will need replacement.

Hi, thanks.
Is a 10 year old reeeally that bad? I don't have the money really to repair it if *lots* of things go wrong, but I do have the money to pay for a few repairs now and then. Which is worse, a 10 year old car, or a 6 year old car with high mileage?
The 206s are preeettah cute.. :P

Original post by Flibbles
Mondeo TDDI. Don't buy the TDCI at that price point as the early versions are prone to failure. The TDDI is older, more noisy and a bit slower but is more reliable.

There's also a ton of Mondeos around so you'll have plenty of choice. Test drive loads of them, as there's bound to be bad examples.

I know you want a smaller car but sometimes going for a big one is the best choice since there's plenty around and you'll get value for money.

You could try the Focus TDDI as well, but they are more popular and I doubt you'll find many.

Yeh, lots of people have recommended Fords for what I what. maybe a focus is what I should be looking at.

Thanks everyone, I might post a few links up later (now my student finanace has arrived :colone: ) and if any of you can help, I'd really appreciate it! :biggrin:

EDIT: Also, what sort of engine size? Does that depend on the car? x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Had a quick look on Auto Trader - the MPG on a focus is ~40 and the MPG on a 206 is ~50.
Anyone know any other car that is relatively good on the fuel? x
Reply 8
Had a quick look on Auto Trader - the MPG on a focus is ~40 and the MPG on a 206 is ~50.
Anyone know any other car that is relatively good on the fuel? x

All diesels of similar engine size (and age) will be similarly good on fuel - your main focus should be on reliability and your personal taste. The 1.4 HDI 206 is good on fuel but is very slow (by my standards, you might not care :tongue:).

All 1.8 diesels (especially Ford) will be fine but try to avoid the TDCI as I have mentioned as any of those below 1k will have moon mileage and will probably not last very long.

Value for money wise, you are best going for a Mondeo - it's not that much bigger than a Focus and they are cheap to service and maintain. Again though, avoid the TDCI models.

I must warn you that any diesel below £1000 may come with problems and these problems are much more expensive to fix than in their petrol counterparts. If the turbocharger fails for example, you are looking at a repair cost of at least £500 - possibly closer to £1000. So, buying one may turn out to be a false economy.
Id try something like a focus. They are common cars so there should be plenty in your price range and there should be plenty of different specs etc to choose from. Look on auto trader and you should get an idea of what is available.
Hi, thanks.
Is a 10 year old reeeally that bad? I don't have the money really to repair it if *lots* of things go wrong, but I do have the money to pay for a few repairs now and then. Which is worse, a 10 year old car, or a 6 year old car with high mileage?
The 206s are preeettah cute.. :P

Yeh, lots of people have recommended Fords for what I what. maybe a focus is what I should be looking at.

Thanks everyone, I might post a few links up later (now my student finanace has arrived :colone: ) and if any of you can help, I'd really appreciate it! :biggrin:

EDIT: Also, what sort of engine size? Does that depend on the car? x

Between a 10 year old car with normal or low mileage vs 6 year old with high mileage, neither would be better than the other, it's best to go for one that is well maintained. Many parts do wear out with time rather than mileage, so it's something to take into account. Where someone who commutes a lot and does high mileage in a car, they are more likely to maintain and service it more often so it would mean that worn out parts would have been replaced...where as a 10 year old car with a low mileage owned by an OAP may have hardened bushings or seals and could have been used for very short journeys like maybe just a 5 minute journey each time to the village shop and back, hence a lot of components may not be at it's best state but it doesn't get replaced simply because the keeper is waiting on it to reach the recommended interval where it is supposed to be replaced.

As for which car to get at £1000 and diesel I'd probably go with :-

Mk1 Ford Focus, it was a good Ford, they spent a lot of money into it and they even built in Germany hoping to improve perception of the brand, it somewhat worked everywhere but in Germany. Overall a good car, at that price you're probably better off getting one with a 1.6l petrol engine. Fuel economy isn't bad, it doesn't look as dated as it's age.

Fiat Panda 1.2, probably be a bit over £1000 but you should be able to get a fairly good one. I had one before and it was a decent car, cheap parts, low fuel consumption and cute too. Only thing is I read you've got 4 kids, so it might be a problem as you won't have enough seatbelts for all of them.

The Pug 206 is fine too, I'd probably go with a fairly simple one at that price so if it does have problems it would be simple problems as well :biggrin: 1.4 or 1.6 HDI versions are very good engines, they are still in use today in a variety of cars, including Fords, Mazdas, Mini and PSA cars. The 1.6HDI is also used in a Mini One D, its sufficient and for the most part it does 70+ MPG on the motorway, can't complain :smile: My guess is a 206 with the 1.4HDI should get around the same mileage and very cheap annual road tax.

Engine size, depends on the car and the driver preference :biggrin:
Reply 11
Between a 10 year old car with normal or low mileage vs 6 year old with high mileage, neither would be better than the other, it's best to go for one that is well maintained. Many parts do wear out with time rather than mileage, so it's something to take into account. Where someone who commutes a lot and does high mileage in a car, they are more likely to maintain and service it more often so it would mean that worn out parts would have been replaced...where as a 10 year old car with a low mileage owned by an OAP may have hardened bushings or seals and could have been used for very short journeys like maybe just a 5 minute journey each time to the village shop and back, hence a lot of components may not be at it's best state but it doesn't get replaced simply because the keeper is waiting on it to reach the recommended interval where it is supposed to be replaced.

As for which car to get at £1000 and diesel I'd probably go with :-

Mk1 Ford Focus, it was a good Ford, they spent a lot of money into it and they even built in Germany hoping to improve perception of the brand, it somewhat worked everywhere but in Germany. Overall a good car, at that price you're probably better off getting one with a 1.6l petrol engine. Fuel economy isn't bad, it doesn't look as dated as it's age.

Fiat Panda 1.2, probably be a bit over £1000 but you should be able to get a fairly good one. I had one before and it was a decent car, cheap parts, low fuel consumption and cute too. Only thing is I read you've got 4 kids, so it might be a problem as you won't have enough seatbelts for all of them.

The Pug 206 is fine too, I'd probably go with a fairly simple one at that price so if it does have problems it would be simple problems as well :biggrin: 1.4 or 1.6 HDI versions are very good engines, they are still in use today in a variety of cars, including Fords, Mazdas, Mini and PSA cars. The 1.6HDI is also used in a Mini One D, its sufficient and for the most part it does 70+ MPG on the motorway, can't complain :smile: My guess is a 206 with the 1.4HDI should get around the same mileage and very cheap annual road tax.

Engine size, depends on the car and the driver preference :biggrin:

Aw you're a star! :biggrin: The car is just for me though, no kids allowed! :P
(What's HDI? And what does it do/mean?)
I will definitely keep in mind all that you've suggested, I'm going to take my time looking too. I'm actually quite worried because this will be the first second hand car I've bought..
EDIT: Also, where did you read I have 4 kids!? Stalkage.. :P jk :wink:
Aw you're a star! :biggrin: The car is just for me though, no kids allowed! :P

That only works in theory :devil:

I thought my car was going to be one where kids wasn't allowed in as well, except my little one already stained my floor mats with mud on the 2nd day I started driving it.

Thankfully the missus isn't insured to drive it.....or else... hah.

(What's HDI? And what does it do/mean?)

High pressure Direct Injection, the way diesel is sent from the fuel tank to the engine. The 206 engine designation would be either 1.4HDI or 1.6HDI the other ones were 1.9D or 2.0D these are normal diesel engines and aren't as powerful despite the larger size as the HDI engines and they would cost more to tax annually. :tongue:

I will definitely keep in mind all that you've suggested, I'm going to take my time looking too. I'm actually quite worried because this will be the first second hand car I've bought.

You can take your time with such cars, there are plenty of them about :smile:

Bought 4 second hand cars this year, it isn't as scary or worrying as it seems :smile: Just make sure you spot the faults and drive a hard bargain or away :biggrin:

Also, where did you read I have 4 kids!? Stalkage.. :P jk :wink:

I am a stalker :biggrin: Mature students on Freshers...... I LOLed at all the responses on that thread as it brought back some rather fond memories :biggrin:
Reply 13
That only works in theory :devil:

I thought my car was going to be one where kids wasn't allowed in as well, except my little one already stained my floor mats with mud on the 2nd day I started driving it.

Thankfully the missus isn't insured to drive it.....or else... hah.

High pressure Direct Injection, the way diesel is sent from the fuel tank to the engine. The 206 engine designation would be either 1.4HDI or 1.6HDI the other ones were 1.9D or 2.0D these are normal diesel engines and aren't as powerful despite the larger size as the HDI engines and they would cost more to tax annually. :tongue:

You can take your time with such cars, there are plenty of them about :smile:

Bought 4 second hand cars this year, it isn't as scary or worrying as it seems :smile: Just make sure you spot the faults and drive a hard bargain or away :biggrin:

I am a stalker :biggrin: Mature students on Freshers...... I LOLed at all the responses on that thread as it brought back some rather fond memories :biggrin:

Aha, little stalker! Yeh, that mature student thread was funny.

Ive seen this, whatdya think?
I can now stretch to over £1000 (maybe up to £2000.. but I'd rather not go that high).

:smile:
Aha, little stalker! Yeh, that mature student thread was funny.

Ive seen this, whatdya think?
I can now stretch to over £1000 (maybe up to £2000.. but I'd rather not go that high).

:smile:

Price wise it does seem around there, doesn't state if it has any good maintenance records, does it have any evidence of any parts which have been changed recently?

The 2 things I'm not too fond on this particular one :-
Non-standard wheel trims... usually means either 1 of 2 things :-

1) Original ones got stolen.
2) Original one had too many scuff marks because previous driver was careless.

The other is it doesn't have an air-conditioner as this was the bare-bones stripdown model. However if this doesn't bother you then by all means check the service history, it should have at least 1 per year and receipts to prove. If that is in order bring it to your own trusted mechanic and ask him for an opinion and to see what might be amiss with it, most important is to ensure it has a compression test.

If there is anything amiss with it your mechanic should be able to tell you how much it would be to fix it, if it isn't a lot or almost wearing out use it as a haggling point :biggrin:

Anyway these cars aren't expensive to fix, one thing to make sure is anything and everything electric on it works, else you might be in for some expensive wiring faults that can be a headache to fix.

You sure you want a 3dr car? :biggrin:
Reply 15
Price wise it does seem around there, doesn't state if it has any good maintenance records, does it have any evidence of any parts which have been changed recently?

The 2 things I'm not too fond on this particular one :-
Non-standard wheel trims... usually means either 1 of 2 things :-

1) Original ones got stolen.
2) Original one had too many scuff marks because previous driver was careless.

The other is it doesn't have an air-conditioner as this was the bare-bones stripdown model. However if this doesn't bother you then by all means check the service history, it should have at least 1 per year and receipts to prove. If that is in order bring it to your own trusted mechanic and ask him for an opinion and to see what might be amiss with it, most important is to ensure it has a compression test.

If there is anything amiss with it your mechanic should be able to tell you how much it would be to fix it, if it isn't a lot or almost wearing out use it as a haggling point :biggrin:

Anyway these cars aren't expensive to fix, one thing to make sure is anything and everything electric on it works, else you might be in for some expensive wiring faults that can be a headache to fix.

You sure you want a 3dr car? :biggrin:

...i dunnoooo!! :bawling: I dunnoo what i want! I hate this buying a car crap :frown: might just go on the train everyday..
...i dunnoooo!! :bawling: I dunnoo what i want! I hate this buying a car crap :frown: might just go on the train everyday..

Do a price-benefit analysis :smile:

You'll find that having that small car can be cheaper than taking the train :biggrin:
Reply 17
Do a price-benefit analysis :smile:

You'll find that having that small car can be cheaper than taking the train :biggrin:

It will be about the same, but obvious benefits of the car are that it's way more flexible - no more waiting around for buses and trains.

I just don't know what to buy.. and i don't know anyone who is great with cars! nor do I have a 'trusted' mechanic..
It will be about the same, but obvious benefits of the car are that it's way more flexible - no more waiting around for buses and trains.

I just don't know what to buy.. and i don't know anyone who is great with cars! nor do I have a 'trusted' mechanic..

You will find it important to have some elements of flexibility juggling between family and uni life :smile: Especially considering that you will be living rather far away from uni.

The trusted mechanic can be the same one you normally bring your car to for servicing or the one in the neighbourhood. Otherwise, ask around people you know, they would have one.

Alternatively RAC does have a car inspection service.
Reply 19
You will find it important to have some elements of flexibility juggling between family and uni life :smile: Especially considering that you will be living rather far away from uni.

The trusted mechanic can be the same one you normally bring your car to for servicing or the one in the neighbourhood. Otherwise, ask around people you know, they would have one.

Alternatively RAC does have a car inspection service.

Hiii
I still havent got a car :colondollar:
I really need to get one this week though, I've seen these three:
Peugeot 206 Insurance is around £1100
Peugeot 206 Insurance is around £950
Yaris Insurance is around £900

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending