The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Commuting from Bristol to Cardiff- doable??

Hi! I'm considering applying to Cardiff but I want to stay living at home. How long would it take by car to get to cardiff from Bristol and is it something one could consider? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

why do you want to live at home??????????????????????????????
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Solid_Snake_100
why do you want to live at home??????????????????????????????

Lots of people live at home while at uni...
Reply 3
Its £5 to get over the bridge every day and the drive is about an hour. Just move :s-smilie:
Reply 4
If you enter your home postcode and then the postcode of Cardiff uni into Google maps, it'll give you an estimate of how long it would take to drive there :smile:
http://maps.google.co.uk/
Reply 5
I really want to live at home. So do you think it's fesable?
Reply 6
Thanks alot Elvendork :smile:
Reply 7
It's possible, but will prove to be expensive and time consuming (it's about half an hour on the train? So a little longer by car) but, if you really wanted to, it's doable.
Reply 8
its about an hours drive on the motorway, plus whatever it takes to get through the lovely bristol & cardiff traffic. In addition it will cost you about £5 a day to get across the bridge, and quite a bit in petrol.

Why on earth do you want to live at home? You'll miss out onthe whole "social" side of uni life, you wont make friends, and you will spend half your time sitting on the motorway.

Very bad idea!
Reply 9
If I live at home does that really mean I will struggle to make friends??
Reply 10
At that distance, yes. My sis is at Cardiff and knows people who live at home, but they actually live IN Cardiff so it doesn't matter! I also knew people at Exeter who lived at home, but they lived in Exeter...

If this is for friends or a boyfriend, don't bother. They'll form new lives and you will too - while still keeping involved with each other.
[q]If I live at home does that really mean I will struggle to make friends??[q/]

It'll probably make it a little harder, but not impossible. The problem you'll have is that it'll be nigh-on impossible to get involved in anything spontaneous. If someone organises a night out or something at short notices, it's not as if you can say "I'll be right there."
Reply 12
well... look at it this way...

If you live on campus, you are going to be living with housemates, some of whom are very likely to end up being friends
You'll join societies and make friends
You'll go out at night with coursemates and make friends

If you live the other side of the severn you'll not want to go out at night and then drive back
You wont go to society trips and socials and have to drive home
You'll be living with your parents so will miss out on the freedom and friend-making oppotunities

And bear in mind that if you carry on living with your parents now its gonna make it even harder to fly the nest when that time eventually comes. Unless you plan on staying at home forever!

Also, some days you might only have one hour or two hours of lectures (uni timetables have these wonderful quirks) or lectures at 9am, and 5pm with nothing in between. Are you going to travel all the way to cardiff for those? Or are you going to miss lectures because it really isnt worth a 2 hour round trip for an hour lecture. What about lectures at each end of the day? you wont have a house on campus to go back to so you'll be sitting in the library bored all day.
Reply 13
recneps
well... look at it this way...

If you live on campus, you are going to be living with housemates, some of whom are very likely to end up being friends
You'll join societies and make friends
You'll go out at night with coursemates and make friends

If you live the other side of the severn you'll not want to go out at night and then drive back
You wont go to society trips and socials and have to drive home
You'll be living with your parents so will miss out on the freedom and friend-making oppotunities

And bear in mind that if you carry on living with your parents now its gonna make it even harder to fly the nest when that time eventually comes. Unless you plan on staying at home forever!

Also, some days you might only have one hour or two hours of lectures (uni timetables have these wonderful quirks) or lectures at 9am, and 5pm with nothing in between. Are you going to travel all the way to cardiff for those? Or are you going to miss lectures because it really isnt worth a 2 hour round trip for an hour lecture. What about lectures at each end of the day? you wont have a house on campus to go back to so you'll be sitting in the library bored all day.

this.
Reply 14
It will be a lot harder to have that same uni experience but not impossible.There was a recent thread on this in GUD.

But would Car parking be an issue? From what I've seen of the university there are more spaces than many unis and I'm assuming parking is free for students?
Angelil
At that distance, yes. My sis is at Cardiff and knows people who live at home, but they actually live IN Cardiff so it doesn't matter! I also knew people at Exeter who lived at home, but they lived in Exeter...

If this is for friends or a boyfriend, don't bother. They'll form new lives and you will too - while still keeping involved with each other.

Bah. If you have something incredibly special with someone and you both feel it, anything is worth it to keep you together.

Long distance is HARD!

But op, you'll be really tired and miss out on social stuff, the experience of living on your own and in halls...

Your call.
Reply 16
River85
It will be a lot harder to have that same uni experience but not impossible.There was a recent thread on this in GUD.

But would Car parking be an issue? From what I've seen of the university there are more spaces than many unis and I'm assuming parking is free for students?

Lots of parking around the uni, its all metered, and I've never heard about it being free for students.
Reply 17
raziell
Lots of parking around the uni, its all metered, and I've never heard about it being free for students.

I knew there was plenty of parking. It's just I thought Cardiff may offer students a free parking badge in any uni car parks?
Reply 18
River85
I knew there was plenty of parking. It's just I thought Cardiff may offer students a free parking badge in any uni car parks?

Afraid not, taken from website (regarding Cathays campus, not sure about med students):

Cardiff University
We regret that, due to limited capacity, there is no provision for student parking, with the exception of students with disabilities, whose needs will be met wherever possible, and a limited number of permits available to residential students at selected Halls of Residence.
One of the guys i went to uni with commuted and lived at home, he was only 40 minutes away on the train and all he ever banged on about was what a nightmare it was not being in halls and having to figure out how to get home if he stayed out after the trains stopped. I'd say go live on campus, Cardiff uni has a pretty awesome social scene, I went to Glamorgan and me and my mates spent most of our time at the Cardiff SU!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending