The Student Room Group

C&C Generals: Zero Hour lags when playing vs CPU?

I have the above game and when i have a skirmish game, it lags. I played 3v3 and even in 2v2. However, i played C&C Generals just now, had a skirmish game, a 1 v 1 and there had been no lag. I had to reinstall Zero hour acouple of times, downloading a mod and other times when it kept crashing but i have had no problems before, especially online. I have disk defraged my PC a couple of time in the intervals of not playing the game...would this have any effect?

What is the problem please? thank you for your help in advance!

BTW my system spec is 3.2Ghz P4 with HT, 1024GB ram, apgx8 6600gt (old GPU was fx5600) and 160GB HDD with 70GB empty. Oh its XP home.
I've never had that problem.... and your puter should be able to handle it easily. Hm!

Do you know where I can get some unofficial skirmish maps?
Reply 2
Onearmedbandit
I've never had that problem.... and your puter should be able to handle it easily. Hm!

Do you know where I can get some unofficial skirmish maps?

I wouldnt know but i suppose play a game with someone online hosting with an unofficial map and it gets downloaded to your PC.

So what could be the problem with C&C Generals: Zero Hour lagging? Should i reinstall it as when disk defrag may have messed up files?
I'm not sure to be honest. Do your other games run well?
Reply 4
Onearmedbandit
I'm not sure to be honest. Do your other games run well?

Yeah they work well? Act of war, far cry, BF2 (it takes ages to load when playing online multiplayer but doesnt lag when actually playing it), counter strike: source etc No lag with these games unless i turn graphic specs up high. C&C Generals: Zero Hour never used to lag this bad but with the new 6600gt it should work better, i dont know why?
Reply 5
Never had this probelm either, my spec is very similar to yours, and i handle 4 v 4 with coms fine, sometimes get a bit of slow down when the Super Weapons are fired, but there is no reason why your spec shouldn't be able to handle it :s

Oh btw C&C: ZH is sooo old! Get Dawn of War! :P
I only just bought ZH!
Reply 7
My spec is preety crap (ATI 9250, AMD 2200 XP, 512 Ram) and mine runs fine(ish) :rolleyes:
Reply 8
ive had it since it came out and recently mines had that problem, cant seem to play 4vs4 any more with out constant juddering
Reply 9
sayed_samed
I have the above game and when i have a skirmish game, it lags. I played 3v3 and even in 2v2. However, i played C&C Generals just now, had a skirmish game, a 1 v 1 and there had been no lag. I had to reinstall Zero hour acouple of times, downloading a mod and other times when it kept crashing but i have had no problems before, especially online. I have disk defraged my PC a couple of time in the intervals of not playing the game...would this have any effect?

What is the problem please? thank you for your help in advance!

BTW my system spec is 3.2Ghz P4 with HT, 1024GB ram, apgx8 6600gt (old GPU was fx5600) and 160GB HDD with 70GB empty. Oh its XP home.
Check the heat of your CPU under load. Because it's a Prescott based P4, they run awfully hot. If it's hotter than a certain level, it can throttle back and thus, slow the computer down. Same with the graphics card. Check your ventilation. Other than that, I'm out of suggestions.
Reply 10
Mad Vlad
Check the heat of your CPU under load. Because it's a Prescott based P4, they run awfully hot. If it's hotter than a certain level, it can throttle back and thus, slow the computer down. Same with the graphics card. Check your ventilation. Other than that, I'm out of suggestions.

Hey Mad Vlad!

Well on load CPU goes to 70oC underload using PC-Wizard 05 to give system temp but thats the same temperature when playing BF2 or quake 4. My 6600gt card goes to max 65oC under load when playing Zero Hour.

Tell me about it with crappy prescott P4 cores....

(However, a couple of months ago i used to have the problem of Zero hours just exiting from either a skirmish game or multiplayer online game for no reason saying it could be a virus/system overheat/hardware fault in a error box.) But this as not occured in a while after reinstalling it.

BF2 doesnt lag at 70oC, its only slow when loading the game as i said, which is as expected with my system.

I will try it again but when i play C&C generals, the orginal game it doesnt lag.

Thanks!

Morgoth
ive had it since it came out and recently mines had that problem, cant seem to play 4vs4 any more with out constant juddering

So i am not the only one...hmmmm.

Darklight

Oh btw C&C: ZH is sooo old! Get Dawn of War! :P

I know but i still love it. I got C&C generals a couple of weeks after it came out then when i heard about ZH i got it straight away. I bought C&C generals for my old AMD athlon 750Mhz, 128mb, nvidia tnt2 32mb then i got my new PC which i am currently on.

Researching into Dawn of War........ :wink:
Reply 11
Yeh it's normal, I have a computer with roughly the same specs and playing 8 players on twilight flame still causes slow down. There are numerous tweaks but you'll most likely have to post on the official C&C forum. Hope it helps!

Latest