The Student Room Group

do unis expect you to program?

I kinda wanna do computer science and artificial intelligence for unis but i was just wondering if they expect me to know jave rlly well or c++ etc. Is that smt i have to learn in my spare time(as i dont learn it in school) or do we get lectures and study abt that? What happens generally?
Original post by Anonymous
I kinda wanna do computer science and artificial intelligence for unis but i was just wondering if they expect me to know jave rlly well or c++ etc. Is that smt i have to learn in my spare time(as i dont learn it in school) or do we get lectures and study abt that? What happens generally?

Universities tend have “uniform” expectations about students maths abilities on a comp sci course as everyone does pretty much the same A level material. However computing experience is MUCH more diverse, and some incoming students will have done near zero hands on programming, so coding tends to get taught from scratch. Yes, it’s useful if you can code when you arrive (Python more so than Java), but you are also likely to have some bad habits (do you document your code well ? How is your version control and benchmarking ?) that universities will need to fix.
A little C or Python wouldn’t go amiss the first program we did in C for microcontrollers was a program to ads subtract multiply it divide complex numbers it’s not too hard and I wouldn’t stress too much but if you want to do CS I’m expect a bit of programming even if the uni taught it from hello world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending