The Student Room Group

Flatmates and friends over

I want to have some freinds over for pre-drinks before we go out tomorrow but my flatmates are very quiet and dont go out much so they're not keen on the idea of me having some mates over.

They're getting here at 9 and then we'll be leaving at about 11 latest and I'll try to keep the noise down.

Is this unreasonable?
pre-drinks? u mean get pretty much pissed before you go out to save money...no not at all, just ask them
Reply 2
No it's not, as long as your not running up and down the corridor and playing music full blast etc
no its not just ask
Nope, so long as you ask and explain times then they should be ok with it.
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies! :smile:
Just whatever you do, don't stay in the kitchen long if you have one, because they might feel uncomfortable going into the kitchen if you are all in there.
Reply 7
Nope. It's when the said friends steal the food/are brought back to the flat to continue the party until 6am that it is taking the mick.
Reply 8
Everyone's saying nope, but I'll be the devils advocate at say yes.

Well, yes under circumstances. You say you'll keep the noise down, but I think that's pretty unlikely. I think your group will end up being quite noisy and disruptive when you're drunk, and will impose on the peace of the other flatmates.

Maybe finish pre-drinks at 10 instead of 11 to be more reasonable.
Reply 9
Original post by j2s0n

Well, yes under circumstances. You say you'll keep the noise down, but I think that's pretty unlikely. I think your group will end up being quite noisy and disruptive when you're drunk, and will impose on the peace of the other flatmates.

It's University halls not an old peoples home. Bore off.

I have the best memories from my first year flat parties, just let your flat mates know you're having people over and atleast they know.
Reply 10
Original post by Danti1988
It's University halls not an old peoples home. Bore off.

I have the best memories from my first year flat parties, just let your flat mates know you're having people over and atleast they know.

Woah, no one's saying you can't have fun. But you have to be considerate for others. It's all well and good saying "Oh, we're at Uni, let's just have fun because we're not old people".

But you have to remember they're not just "flatmates". They are tenants, and they live there. What you are basically doing is disrupting their home (something they don't legally have to put up with, if it's invasive enough).

I'm not saying you shouldn't have fun or anything, but we all know you can't keep a bunch of drunk people quiet for 2 hours just out of consideration for others.
Reply 11
get your housemates to join in im sure they wont mind then.
In my halls there was usually a note on the fridge. "party 2nite. soz. b in kitchen from 9ishh, BYOB."

So I would say asking permission is more than enough. Halls don't have their reputation for nothing :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by j2s0n

Its a student halls, quiet rules only apply Sunday to Thursday, from midnight onwards. You can keep pumping out the music all night long at the weekend, the flatmates are gonna have to join in or suck it up.

You appear to be reading the OP as if he's talking about privately rented acommodation rather than a student flat. But I don't think thats what he's talking about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending