The Student Room Group

flatmate keeps banging on my door

i moved into my accommodation on sunday. one of my flatmates has his friends over a lot and the past couple nights they’ve been banging on my door at like 11/12 asking me to come out my room. they keep trying to open the door and earlier they managed to get the lock on my door open. this was funny like the first two times they did it now it’s just scaring me. i don’t even feel safe in my own room anymore and it’s making me want to go home and we haven’t even started yet. i really don’t know what to do.
Reply 1
Get one of those under door wedge type locks to stop anyone opening your door (good for the rest of your career travel too).

Tell your flatmate by all means party but call the dogs off banging on your flat door at stupid hour

If all else fails go banging on your flatmates door enough to wake the dead at 6am and then melt into the background.
Oh, and don't forget all that hoovering that absolutely has to be done at 6am.
Original post by Anonymous
i moved into my accommodation on sunday. one of my flatmates has his friends over a lot and the past couple nights they’ve been banging on my door at like 11/12 asking me to come out my room. they keep trying to open the door and earlier they managed to get the lock on my door open. this was funny like the first two times they did it now it’s just scaring me. i don’t even feel safe in my own room anymore and it’s making me want to go home and we haven’t even started yet. i really don’t know what to do.

Hi there, sorry to hear about your situation.

Have you tried communicating with your flatmate? I would recommend doing this first. I think explaining that you are okay with (set your boundaries), but (knocking on your door at night) is making you uncomfortable. It may also be worth letting them know that you do not have many options but to report this situation if it does not improve.

You shouldn't have to feel unsafe in your own accommodation, and you do not need to deal with it alone. If you live on campus, you could always call campus security, or report them to your hall's reception. If you are living in private accommodation, I believe you will also have someone you can contact / to report the issue to. Even if you live off campus, you can always get support from your University teams- for example: student support. (if you needed temporary accommodation, perhaps getting in touch with the Uni's accommodation team will help.)

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending