The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

The Elements vs The Gate - Sheffield Hallam Accommodation

I'm not sure which to go for, both look similar but I've heard Elements is more social. The Gate is slightly cheaper and closer to city campus, but Elements is near the student areas and sounds more sociable. I'd like to be in a social environment but not a crazy one where I get no sleep ever. Elements has 6 bed flats whereas The Gate has 7 so more people might mean more friends? Can anyone help me make a decision?
Original post by MarthaGregson
I'm not sure which to go for, both look similar but I've heard Elements is more social. The Gate is slightly cheaper and closer to city campus, but Elements is near the student areas and sounds more sociable. I'd like to be in a social environment but not a crazy one where I get no sleep ever. Elements has 6 bed flats whereas The Gate has 7 so more people might mean more friends? Can anyone help me make a decision?

Hi @MarthaGregson ,

I didn't stay in either of these accommodations in my first year, however I did have friends that did so I thought I'd give you my opinion based off this!

Elements is a very social accommodation and it looked to be a lot of fun! One of my friends from home who went to Hallam too stayed here so I went to her flat a few times and it was nice inside and there were often parties there too. I wouldn't say it was too crazy where you wouldn't be able to sleep but I only stayed over a few times and it really depends on your flatmates which is pot luck! It's also very close to Aldi which is very handy when you need food and it's only across the road! It's also close to pubs and bars if you like going out!

In my opinion, I would say that the gate is slightly nicer and the flats are a bit more modern than Elements. I looked around the gate on an open day and really liked it! It is also a lot closer to city campus so if you are studying here and want to be close by then it's a good option. From what I've heard it's not as sociable as the elements, however if you get on well with your flatmates then you will have a great time still. Having more flatmates is good - in my first year I had 8 in my flat which was good as there was a big mix of people and even if you don't get on with some there will be people you get on with.

Overall, if you are looking for a sociable accommodation I would suggest Elements as from my experience and what I've heard from people that lived there it is sociable and fun and there are lots of people to make friends with!

If you come to an applicant open day, you will be able to look around the different accommodations if you haven't already and this might also help you to make your mind up! This is the link for the applicant open day if you decide you want to come: https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/undergraduate-applicant-open-days

If you can't make the open day but still wanted to look around the accommodations, you can book tours around the individual accommodation if you wanted to come to Sheffield for the day and have a look around.

Elements tour: https://abodusstudents.com/book-a-tour/

The Gate tour: https://www.thisisfresh.com/sheffield/the-gate/contact

I hope some of this helps!

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending