The Student Room Group

My experience studying in Maastricht University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Pi!
I started my application today. :smile: I'm glad to hear good things about it.

So how do i apply? is there a UCAS equivalent over there?
Reply 21
Well , no ...........I think I am in the exact same position as you are ( nach der 11ten abgehauen :biggrin: )
are you on facebook?
Reply 22
Original post by zak_kamz

studielink.nl
Original post by Lewis :D
Maastricht isn't in Holland, Holland is only around a quarter of the Netherlands.

Seeing as we're being pedantic: colloquially, most people call the Netherlands Holland and vice versa. Nobody cares what the actual political/legal boundaries are; the names are synonymous in casual, and often in non-casual, speech.
Reply 24
Original post by Bobo1234
Seeing as we're being pedantic: colloquially, most people call the Netherlands Holland and vice versa. Nobody cares what the actual political/legal boundaries are; the names are synonymous in casual, and often in non-casual, speech.

Doesn't make it correct.
Original post by Lewis :D
Doesn't make it correct.

No it doesn't. But Pedantry won't make you many friends either.
Reply 26
Original post by Durido
Well yeah ........... damn sure you would , which course to you think about apllying to?

I want to study European Law, what are the requirements?
Reply 27
Original post by Duncan8
First of all, let me introduce myself! I'm a 19 year old Belgian student, living in the French part of Belgium. I always wanted to study abroad and in English specially.

During my last year of high school I quickly searched for unis in the Netherlands and came across Maastricht, 50km away from my hometown. I visited the city and instantly fell in love with it. I soon decided to apply to the faculty of law, to study European law (and after International laws). Check the faculty tour here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGGiz1lj2rk

Maastricht university also offers programs in European studies, Science, Engineering, European Public Health, International Business, Econometrics (more Finance), and Economics. The university has a Triple-crown accreditation (only a few in the world received that award including the London Business School, Warwick, ...).

So a few things I learnt about Maastricht University and Maastricht in general:

- The way of learning is a bit different: you sit in small classes and it's PBL (Problem Based Learning). I was a bit intrigued about this approach, but it turned out to improve considerably my speaking skills and I ended up studying more regularly. It works the way like that: You always have to prepare 4 to 6 tasks before the class starts and the discussion leader asks other students about them. The discussion leader is appointed by the tutor at the end of each class to prepare the next tutorial.

- Tutors are approachable. If you have a question, just shoot them an email and they sometimes will even reply you on Sunday's!

- You can do plenty of things there, ranging from sports to student associations. I have some friends who are doing some rowing on the Maas, also some are doing Thai Boxing, Kick Boxing, or other sports. It usually costs around 80 to 120€ a year. Gym is the same price. Regarding student associations, I enrolled in UNSA, it's like the Model United Nations. You prepare the big conference in Maastricht and go to Sweden, Germany, and even Israel to speak at those conferences. You also drink on a weekly basis in a relaxed environment!

- Living in Maastricht is just great. It's definitely a student city with tons of bars, restaurants everywhere and deals for students (you often get 10 to 25% off at various locations). The city atmosphere is lovely, and chill. Going out is always a great experience, even if beers are a bit expensive in pubs in the centre, you have plenty of student bars with 1€ a beer.

- I'm still amazed by the architecture. The faculties are all located in the centre but separated from each other. The Faculty of law is built in an old church but is all brand new in the inside. It's the case for all university buildings, it's hard to describe how it looks like, but stunning is a good start!

- Get a bike. There are no cars driving in the centre. No cars mean also better air! It's really peaceful to bike around the city and its cobbled streets.

- It's not cheap, but not expensive either. 1713€ are the annual tuition fees for European citizens.

- Finding a job in Maastricht? Easy bizy. I sent roughly 15 emails and got 4 job offers - at a cocktail bar, in a hostel, in a call-centre, and at Apple. I don't even speak Dutch!

- Renting a flat is not expensive either. You can find flats around the university faculties starting at 250-300€. Flats in the city centre usually are around 350-400€ for something really really decent. (I live 3 minutes by bike from the faculty in a 400€ per month room, 15sqm, with 2 other students and we have a 143sqm2 flat in total with 2 bathrooms).

Few questions: Are the courses hard? Is it interesting there? How are the girls there?:

Be prepared, you'll have to study at least a bit to pass the courses.

Last year we were around 400 students starting the European Law Bachelor and now we're a little over a 100 in the second year. I'm not a genius I can tell you and I'm now into my second year. But I had to study quite a lot for some courses, and on a regular basis (exams every two months). I also had to spend entire nights information for essays. Deadline are sometimes quite tight and you end up with no sleeping on certain days. I'd say the hardest thing when you start university is to get to know what they expect from you. You have to be serious, hard-working, and a little intelligent is always a plus!

Oh and yes, English is not my mother tongue as you can see, so that added a bit more difficulty to the whole thing.

About girls, you'll feel like being in a model show when sitting in the library (which can be slightly distracting). Dutch girls are just fantastic, and I'm not even counting International student girls. I have recently met some Finnish and Swedish girls. So yes, it's good there!

Nice info :smile:
Reply 28

Studielink
Reply 29
Original post by Dubstarr
I want to study European Law, what are the requirements?

Two E's .......
Reply 30
Original post by Durido
Two E's .......

I got BDE in A-level would I get it?
Reply 31
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Studielink

I find it poor in comparison to UCAS!
Reply 32
I got BDE in A-level would I get it?

well yeah :biggrin:.........but it's a lot of hard work so if you realy are 100% sure you want to go there than yes . If you are however just looking for a free ride than you are wrong
Reply 33
Yep, Maastricht University sorts of give a chance to everyone who is interested to get in :smile: Be prepared to work there, it's not easy at all.. (I'm in the second year and usually studying from 11am to 8pm), 2,5 weeks before exams.
Reply 34
Original post by Duncan8
Yep, Maastricht University sorts of give a chance to everyone who is interested to get in :smile: Be prepared to work there, it's not easy at all.. (I'm in the second year and usually studying from 11am to 8pm), 2,5 weeks before exams.

Yes, I'm prepared to work hard! And how do I apply?

Also, how is the nightlife there?

Cheers
Reply 35
Yes, I'm prepared to work hard! And how do I apply?

Also, how is the nightlife there?

Cheers

Studielink

Nightlife is good but you have no clubs, big bars that turn into clubs most of the time. But it's good :smile:
Reply 36
Just found out I got rejected because I apparently applied for the wrong study year. :frown:
Reply 37
Original post by Pi!
Just found out I got rejected because I apparently applied for the wrong study year. :frown:

You can redo your application, or even call the Student Service Centre. That's what I would do :smile:
Reply 38
How much was you're accommodation over there. And is it easy to find a job over there if you can't speak dutch?!
Reply 39
How much was you're accommodation over there. And is it easy to find a job over there if you can't speak dutch?!

I pay 400€ per month for a really great place (150sqm, 2 bathrooms and I live with 2 other people). My room is 13sqm2 but we have a huge common room, dining room, kitchen, cave.. and it's located in the centre.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending