The Student Room Group

University choices for psychology

I'll like to do psychology in uni. But I can only apply to London or Birmingham Unis :frown: since I'm not allowed to move away.

For AS i got A for psychology, B for maths and D for Biology (resittin a module)
I honestly dont know which unis to apply since my grades werent that great.
I wna to a 4 year sandwich course, which noy all unis provide.

My choices:
Aston- AAB (sandwich)
Middlesex- BBB (sanwich)
Westminister- ABB (sandwich)

Maybe
Goldsmiths- ABB ( not sandwich)
Birmigham Uni- AAA (Sandwich) but sooo hard to get in :frown:
Queen Mary- ABB ( Not sandwich)

But I need lower choices in case I dont meet the grades. I dont kno which ones.. kingston or southbank or UEL or coventry bt there not that great
Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

I don't know what your reasons are for not being allowed to move away, but have you thought of Reading University? It's AAB-ABB (if you have a b or above in an AS level), a decent course and if you really, really need to, then it's only a 30 minute train ride from London Paddington (commuting-wise). Shame you can't move away though, halls is the best way to make friends.
Original post by .Missy
I'll like to do psychology in uni. But I can only apply to London or Birmingham Unis :frown: since I'm not allowed to move away.

For AS i got A for psychology, B for maths and D for Biology (resittin a module)

My choices:
Aston- AAB (sandwich)
Middlesex- BBB (sanwich)

Maybe

But I need lower choices in case I dont meet the grades. I dont kno which ones.. kingston or southbank or UEL or coventry bt there not that great
Any advice?

Birmingham have a course which isn't a sandwich and is AAB. They also have a masters course which is AAA (which you apply now for).
Original post by .Missy

Original post by .Missy

My choices:
Aston- AAB (sandwich)
Middlesex- BBB (sanwich)

Maybe

Any advice?

Actually, lots of people have said to me that the psychology department at Coventry University is very good, and it'll have a placement year for 2012 intake (if memory serves).

I'm just starting Aston this year for psychology however, and if you get the grades I definitely recommend it. The lecturers and course content is awesome :biggrin: (It's also usually in clearing for ABB)
Reply 4
Birmingham Uni- AAA (Sandwich) but sooo hard to get in

yeah that is horrendously hard to get into you need AAAA and AAA really.

One i could suggest is Cardiff as i looked at their sandwich one :-)
Reply 5
hi does anyone know the entry requirements for BSC Psych at coventry? thanks :smile:
Original post by .Missy

My choices:
Aston- AAB (sandwich)
Middlesex- BBB (sanwich)

Maybe

Any advice?

I would definitely go with sandwich courses if you're thinking about a career as a Chartered Psychologist. An extra year of experience will help you stand out from the endless crowd of psychology graduates.

Also, it's worth considering that getting a good overall degree classification (at least a 2.1/60% average if not better ie First/70% average) is extremely important for relevant psych graduate jobs and postgraduate courses, rather than the actual undegraduate university.

However, although studying at a redbrick uni may win some brownie points (or at least shine out from other candidates), I would say what's really important is getting a good overall degree classification. Trust me, I've learnt the hard way! Not one postgraduate course or job I've come across utilises university ranking or specific university in filtering out applicants.

I can't believe how high the entry requirements are for undergrad psychology courses!!:eek:

By the way- I completed my first MSc at Westminster- not a bad department, but if you can get the entry requirements for Birmingham- go for it! :smile:

UEL has a very strong psychology degree course with an excellent doctorate in clinical psychology course. Someone I know of completed his undergraduate psychology degree at Southbank and won a place on the doctorate in clinical psychology (extremely difficult to obtain places!) at UCL.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
What about university of Surrey? Nice university, around the grades you're aiming for and if it hasn't changed in the past few years the lecuring's pretty good too. It's not in London but it wouldn't be too far to commute either (it's in Guildford, about 45 minutes from Waterloo/Clapham Junction), they do a sandwich course too.

Brunel also do a sandwich course but i don't know much about the university so can't comment.

EDIT: Ignore the above, just checked and it looks like Surrey have increased their entry requirements, sorry! :o:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by .Missy

Maybe

Queen Mary has gone up to AAB
Reply 9
wrong thread.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by CallMeLo
hi does anyone know the entry requirements for BSC Psych at coventry? thanks :smile:

It's BBB for 2012 entry :smile:
Northumbria University in Newcastle do Psychology sandwich degrees. I think their offer is ABB.
Reply 12
thanks, replied a bit late though, already sent off my ucas :frown:

thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 13
Thanks guys.. I decided il like to do 3 years then a masters. Dno what low unis to apply to..
Reply 14
Original post by TeaAndSugar
Actually, lots of people have said to me that the psychology department at Coventry University is very good, and it'll have a placement year for 2012 intake (if memory serves).

I'm just starting Aston this year for psychology however, and if you get the grades I definitely recommend it. The lecturers and course content is awesome :biggrin: (It's also usually in clearing for ABB)

I would like to apply to coventry.. as the requirements are low. Jus too scared coz I cant go see it. Thought it would b crap.. Bt since u said people said it was good. I might jus do it.

For Aston do u think theyll accept me with ABB?
Reply 15
Original post by CallMeLo
Queen Mary has gone up to AAB

Really.. on the website it says 320 points which is ABB
Original post by .Missy
I would like to apply to coventry.. as the requirements are low. Jus too scared coz I cant go see it. Thought it would b crap.. Bt since u said people said it was good. I might jus do it.

I'm not sure what the campus itself or the surrounding area is like, so I'd ask someone else about that :smile: However, people, including my school's link to Aston, have said its psychology course is good and I've heard of people who went on to become psychologists from Coventry. Even better now it'll have a placement year!

Of course, this is just stuff I've heard/researched so I'd try to get some more info. Maybe poke a few people on the Coventry forum?

As for Aston, they were in clearing last year for that so they'll probably be the same this cycle. ABB is what they accepted me with :redface:
Reply 17
Original post by .Missy

Hello,

My name is Simon and I work for Coventry University in Recruitment & Admissions.

The entry requirements for our Psychology BSc are BBB (excluding General Studies).

We have scheduled another Open Day on Saturday 19th November if you would like to see the campus for yourself. You can register here.

If you cannot make the Open Day, we also hold Campus Visits every Tuesday at 10.30 and 14.00. This is basically a 90-minute tour which will show you University Square, the Library, the Sports Centre, our most popular student hall and TheHub, our brand new centre of student activity. You can register for a Campus Visit here.

We hope to see you soon,

Simon :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Sal_Coventry
Hello,

My name is Simon and I work for Coventry University in Recruitment & Admissions.

The entry requirements for our Psychology BSc are BBB (excluding General Studies).

We have scheduled another Open Day on Saturday 19th November if you would like to see the campus for yourself. You can register here.

If you cannot make the Open Day, we also hold Campus Visits every Tuesday at 10.30 and 14.00. This is basically a 90-minute tour which will show you University Square, the Library, the Sports Centre, our most popular student hall and TheHub, our brand new centre of student activity. You can register for a Campus Visit here.

We hope to see you soon,

Simon :smile:

The entry requirements have increased. Do you think coventry are quite lenient with them. And possibly accept me if i get a BBC

Thanks alot. I might go on Tuesday. I jus wanted to apply by next week. 19th seems far
Reply 19
Original post by TeaAndSugar
I'm not sure what the campus itself or the surrounding area is like, so I'd ask someone else about that :smile: However, people, including my school's link to Aston, have said its psychology course is good and I've heard of people who went on to become psychologists from Coventry. Even better now it'll have a placement year!

Of course, this is just stuff I've heard/researched so I'd try to get some more info. Maybe poke a few people on the Coventry forum?

As for Aston, they were in clearing last year for that so they'll probably be the same this cycle. ABB is what they accepted me with :redface:

Thanks.. Ive jus heard the area in coventry is quite boring. But I dont really care about that. Jus want a good psychology course and somewhere with good graduate prospects.

What did you get in your AS if you dont mind me askin?

Quick Reply

Latest