The Student Room Group

AH chemistry investigation

Started looking into my AH chemistry investigation and so far I have no idea what so ever to do it on...
Started off with trying to find ways to investigate the chlorine concentration in different swimming pools etc. Turned out that there was only one method to determine this and I need 2. Most methods seemed to be for chloride ions rather than chlorine itself... Moved onto the concentration of chloride ions in foods for some reason and the only method is titration. I need another method of determining chloride ion concentration in a solution...

Any ideas? Or other possible investigations?

Cheers in Advance!
Reply 1
Original post by kohler1994
Started looking into my AH chemistry investigation and so far I have no idea what so ever to do it on...
Started off with trying to find ways to investigate the chlorine concentration in different swimming pools etc. Turned out that there was only one method to determine this and I need 2. Most methods seemed to be for chloride ions rather than chlorine itself... Moved onto the concentration of chloride ions in foods for some reason and the only method is titration. I need another method of determining chloride ion concentration in a solution...

Any ideas? Or other possible investigations?

Cheers in Advance!

The only other thing i can think of other than titration whether it be redox or acid/base. Is the use of elctrolysis, whereby you measure the chrlorine gas collected at the cathode. However, as i'm sure your teacher wouldn't be happy with mass quantities of poisonous gas being released into the lab this is less than ideal. There is the option of keeping it all contained within a fume cupboard though.

Unfortunatly there are further issues associated with this method, for example one must consider that chlorine gas is in fact heavier than air which is likley to present problems when collecting the gas. If you intend to follow this method of quantification please remember that you need to use something different to NaCl as an electrolyte for the solution. Any ionic non chloride salt should suffice. Na2CO3 for example. Baking soda.

Hope i've been of help :smile: Any questions please ask.

In terms of ideas for other investigations, PM me and i can discuss some with you. I have some good ideas and i've got a bit of backround knowledge from when i did my investigation so if you choose to do something similar i can help with that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
At the moment your investigation is really an experiment not a project. You could try widening your idea by comparing three or four water samples and test for more than one thing such as pH, calcium hardness, if different metals are present as well as the chlorine concentration.

This would make a more interesting investigation than using different methods for one thing. It also means that if one of your experiemnts doesn't work, you have plenty of others to try.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending