The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Anyone studyinh Economics & Mathematical Sciences?

Hi guys. I recently had to drop out of uni and move back home due to health issues. I'm thinking of studying at the OU as soon as possible. It seems like a good alternative. I've looked at the courses on offer, and I'd like to go for Economics & Mathematical Sciences.

The only issue is that I haven't studied maths since my GCSEs, when I got a B, so I'm not sure if I'd cope with it. Is the maths in this degree quite difficult? I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks. :biggrin:
I have studies and completed this degree. The maths does become quite complex at the higher levels, but this may not be a problem. You say you only studies maths to GCSE level. This means that there will be areas that will be completely new to you, particularly calculus. It is difficult to say if you will find this hard as you have not studied this before.

One option is to enrol on the course, and ensure that you take the 'beginner' maths courses first, even if that means doing an extra 30 credits.

If you get to the higher levels and find it difficult you can always amend the module choices and do a more 'social science' or 'business' version of the degree.

I imagine that as long as you put a good amount of time into it you should be o.k. I don't believe that people can or cannot do maths, I think it is just a matter of being taught well and learning in logical steps at a speed that is suitable for you.

The OU is great for this as you can go back and read a section you are not sure of until you get it.

I recommend the book Engineering Mathematics by KA Stroud

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-Mathematics-K-Stroud/dp/1403942463

As the first review states

I would recommend this book to ANYONE who is taking a degree in Maths, Physics, Engineering or any other subject that has a lot of seemingly complicated Maths involved. This book, unlike many others, does NOT assume that you got an A at A-level maths.

Don't worry about the Engineering in the title. It is a maths book really, it is just as suitable for Economics.

Actually that reminds me, if you end up hating pure maths, or applied maths you can also choose statistics modules. They are very suited to economics and are more about interpreting and validating data rather than faffing about with equations.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by jaxxa

I studied this degree (just having my exams now) and you can choose either more maths focused paths or go more economics route (or statistics if you want to).

My "optional" courses were MST209, MT365 and M346. I did all of them (120 points) at once, working full time job and it was very difficult at times, but I made it through so definitely doable if you put your heart to it.

Besides this, you start off with easy maths courses, like MST121 which will prepare for you further studies. M248 is a great preparation for M346, you cover the same material in the first few units.
Just make sure you do one maths course after another because then you won't forget half of it before you start the next course!

Original post by jaxxa
Hi guys. I recently had to drop out of uni and move back home due to health issues. I'm thinking of studying at the OU as soon as possible. It seems like a good alternative. I've looked at the courses on offer, and I'd like to go for Economics & Mathematical Sciences.

The only issue is that I haven't studied maths since my GCSEs, when I got a B, so I'm not sure if I'd cope with it. Is the maths in this degree quite difficult? I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest