The Student Room Group

No Claims Bonus- What happens after 12 months?

What happens after you have driven for a full year without claims and you are entitled to your no claims bonus?
I mean do they.......

Send you a letter with a reference or code number?

Is it added onto your license via DVLA?

What I want to know basically is what do you receive to show you have NCB? a letter or something else??

thanks and sorry if this sounds thick :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Basically your insurance company will send you a certificate with all your insurance details on saying that you have a years no claims just before its due to run out. When you come to do your insurance- if you renew your insurance with the same company, then they will know that you have the no claims anyway, because you got the no claims with them. But if you go to a different company, they will ask you how much no claims you have (online or on the phone). They may also ask to see proof of your no claims, so you might have to send them the certificate from your old insurer to prove you have the no claims. Or you could do what i did when i sorted my insurance this year over the phone- i told them who i had been with before and they checked it up themselves (then phoned me a week later to say it had been checked and was ok) so i didnt need to send them anything.
Reply 2
Original post by Emma:-)

Basically your insurance company will send you a certificate with all your insurance details on saying that you have a years no claims just before its due to run out. When you come to do your insurance- if you renew your insurance with the same company, then they will know that you have the no claims anyway, because you got the no claims with them. But if you go to a different company, they will ask you how much no claims you have (online or on the phone). They may also ask to see proof of your no claims, so you might have to send them the certificate from your old insurer to prove you have the no claims. Or you could do what i did when i sorted my insurance this year over the phone- i told them who i had been with before and they checked it up themselves (then phoned me a week later to say it had been checked and was ok) so i didnt need to send them anything.

What happens though if you lose your certificate and or the insurance company you got the no claims bonus with goes into administration or whatever and is forced to close down, then what would happen then? you have lost your certificate and they cant ring up the old insurance because they have gone bust.

Wouldn't it just make more sense for your no claims to be added onto your license and recorded with the DVLA and they can manage your NCB instead??
Reply 3
Original post by fosters88
Your Insurer will send a renewal letter this will state any NCB gained
If you switch company, they will ask for proof of NCB all you need to do is send them a copy of the renewal letter stating your NCB

No NCB is linked to the Insurance policy not your drivers licence

Thanks, can you answer my question above that I asked Emma? :smile:
Original post by 7~UP
What happens though if you lose your certificate and or the insurance company you got the no claims bonus with goes into administration or whatever and is forced to close down, then what would happen then? you have lost your certificate and they cant ring up the old insurance because they have gone bust.

Wouldn't it just make more sense for your no claims to be added onto your license and recorded with the DVLA and they can manage your NCB instead??

The no claims you get isnt linked to your driving licence im afraid.
Im not sure what would happen if they went into administration, but if you keep safe the letter the insurance sends with your no claims on then there shouldnt be a problem. Just keep it safe and dont loose it. And like the person above said, send them a copy. Then you still have the main copy and if it gets lost in the post/the insurance dont recieve it etc then you still have a copy of it and there isnt a problem.
Reply 5

The no claims you get isnt linked to your driving licence im afraid.
Im not sure what would happen if they went into administration, but if you keep safe the letter the insurance sends with your no claims on then there shouldnt be a problem. Just keep it safe and dont loose it. And like the person above said, send them a copy. Then you still have the main copy and if it gets lost in the post/the insurance dont recieve it etc then you still have a copy of it and there isnt a problem.

Well my insurance is costing £3500 and my second year will be about £2200 so that combines to approx £5700 for 2 years to gain 2 years NCB.
Say for example ( God forbid a fire occurs) and my letters are destroyed then there goes my £5700 down the pan, then again if I send a copy to a different insurer I could just tell them to keep a copy couldn't I and then if I ever lose mine or the company goes into administration just get it back from the other insurer??

Or send it to the DVLA and ask them to keep a copy for me for safe keeping
(edited 12 years ago)
i always hear a celebratory tune playing when i learn of receiving an extra year of ncb........

......usually the first 22 seconds of this -
Original post by 7~UP
Well my insurance is costing £3500 and my second year will be about £2200 so that combines to approx £5700 for 2 years to gain 2 years NCB.
Say for example ( God forbid a fire occurs) and my letters are destroyed then there goes my £5700 down the pan, then again if I send a copy to a different insurer I could just tell them to keep a copy couldn't I and then if I ever lose mine or the company goes into administration just get it back from the other insurer??

I dont think you will be able to send a copy to the dvla for safe keeping, as they arent anything to do with insurance and no claims bonus. And i doubt a different insurer would do it either if you arent with them. But if you go to renew your insurance and you havent got proof of your no claims and the company has gone into administration, then just tell the new insurance company that you have the no claims but dont have the proof of it (and explain about the old company goinginto administration). The other company may have gone into administration but i bet the new insurance company would be able to find a way round it and find out somehow, especially as most insurance companies share information. You would have to ask them. You could just keep a copy of the no claims letter at a friends/relatives house for safe keeping or something.
Reply 8
Original post by NOBODY MOVE!

Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
i always hear a celebratory tune playing when i learn of receiving an extra year of ncb........

......usually the first 22 seconds of this -

Lol, (for goodness sake)

what tune will it be when you learn you have lost your NCB? the titanic?
Reply 9
I dont think you will be able to send a copy to the dvla for safe keeping, as they arent anything to do with insurance and no claims bonus. And i doubt a different insurer would do it either if you arent with them. But if you go to renew your insurance and you havent got proof of your no claims and the company has gone into administration, then just tell the new insurance company that you have the no claims but dont have the proof of it (and explain about the old company goinginto administration). The other company may have gone into administration but i bet the new insurance company would be able to find a way round it and find out somehow, especially as most insurance companies share information. You would have to ask them. You could just keep a copy of the no claims letter at a friends/relatives house for safe keeping or something.

Lets say I have my no claims bonus with E car and earn NCB and then I then go onto Endsleigh and send endsleigh my copy of NCB and then after going with endsleigh I go with Admiral, Tesco and diamond and then 4 years later go back to Endsleigh to get insured again but E car has closed down and I have lost my certificates will Endsleigh still have the copy of the letter (the one where I gained 1years NCB with E car) I sent to them many years before? ( Lol call me a stress head if you want but maybe I'm just thinking well ahead and getting carried away)

Anyway thanks for your help you know a lot, do you work for a car insurance company or something?
Anyway please answer this question. thanks :smile:
Original post by 7~UP
Lets say I have my no claims bonus with E car and earn NCB and then I then go onto Endsleigh and send endsleigh my copy of NCB and then after going with endsleigh I go with Admiral, Tesco and diamond and then 4 years later go back to Endsleigh to get insured again but E car has closed down and I have lost my certificates will Endsleigh still have the copy of the letter (the one where I gained 1years NCB with E car) I sent to them many years before? ( Lol call me a stress head if you want but maybe I'm just thinking well ahead and getting carried away)

Anyway thanks for your help you know a lot, do you work for a car insurance company or something?

I think you may be! Insurance comanies keep their own records and some of them are part of the same company - Churchill and Direct Line, for example - so transferring between them is no problem.
Reply 11
Original post by 7~UP

Reality check: DVLA is not your free personal deposit box service.
Original post by 7~UP

Insurance companies might keep a copy of things like that, im not sure, you would have to ask them. But your previous insurance company will send you a letter saying you have x years no claims. So all you will need to send is that, which proves how many years no claims you have. You wont need to send the new insurance company loads of certificates, each saying that you have 1 years no claims or anything.
And i dont work for an insurance company, i just happen to know quite a bit, maybe because my dad knows a lot about cars and i learnt most of it off him.
Reply 13
Original post by carnationlilyrose

I think you may be! Insurance comanies keep their own records and some of them are part of the same company - Churchill and Direct Line, for example - so transferring between them is no problem.

I know insurance companies keep their own records but that's no good if they are in administration for whatever reason and also the company I insure with may not be part of another company, do you know what I mean?
Original post by 7~UP
I know insurance companies keep their own records but that's no good if they are in administration for whatever reason and also the company I insure with may not be part of another company, do you know what I mean?

Yes. I think you're being a bit pessimistic - I've been driving since 1978 and it hasn't yet happen to me, but if you are worried, then choose a big name company and photocopy lots of copies of the NCB letter and deposit them with different friends and relatives.
Reply 15
Insurance companies might keep a copy of things like that, im not sure, you would have to ask them. But your previous insurance company will send you a letter saying you have x years no claims. So all you will need to send is that, which proves how many years no claims you have. You wont need to send the new insurance company loads of certificates, each saying that you have 1 years no claims or anything.
And i dont work for an insurance company, i just happen to know quite a bit, maybe because my dad knows a lot about cars and i learnt most of it off him.

So if I have 1years with Endsleigh, 1 with E car 1 with Admiral and 1 with Tesco I will have to send all 4 off to another insurance company?

And thanks for your help, I thought that maybe you work for an insurance company as I find your advice/replies to be of high standard maybe it is something you should persue as a career. :smile:
Yes. I think you're being a bit pessimistic - I've been driving since 1978 and it hasn't yet happen to me, but if you are worried, then choose a big name company and photocopy lots of copies of the NCB letter and deposit them with different friends and relatives.

I agree- although any company can go into administration, if you go with a big, well known company, you are safer than going with a little company that hardly anyone had heard of.
Original post by 7~UP
So if I have 1years with Endsleigh, 1 with E car 1 with Admiral and 1 with Tesco I will have to send all 4 off to another insurance company?

And thanks for your help, I thought that maybe you work for an insurance company as I find your advice/replies to be of high standard maybe it is something you should persue as a career. :smile:

No, because it's cummulative. The last one will have all the previous ones included in it.
Reply 18

I know but look at what happened to Quinn direct, as far as I know they are or have in the past gone into administration
Original post by 7~UP

No- all you need to do is send the 1 certificate off, the one from your last insurer saying you have, for example 1/2/5/10 etc years no claims. Because every year, when you get the letter from your insurance, it will say how many years no claims in total you have. ( just like
carnationlilyrose said 2 posts back)
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending