The Student Room Group

First year car insurance

Does car insurance drop after the first year of you having a full licence or does it drop after having your first car insured for a year for example ...I got my licence in October but didn't get my first car until January so does that mean that my insurance will drop in the following October or January? If someone could answer this it would be a massive help
Either might affect the premium that you pay, but it's more likely to be the date from which you were first insured and have built up a years no claim.

But it's not automatic, I don't think my year 2 insurance was any different to year 1.
As above, both - sort of. You would get 'credit' for both having your licence over 1 year and for completing a full 1 year insurance policy and getting 1 years claims bonus. - but your price would not generally be updated mid policy though (although it would be if you moved house for example) so would be January you would see the difference.

My insurance actually went up for my 2nd year... not much but it didn't come down, sometimes they just seem to have in for you, sometimes you get a price wildly better than you expected *shrug*
Reply 3
There will be a much bigger increase once you get one year's no claims
Original post by amie Howarth
Does car insurance drop after the first year of you having a full licence or does it drop after having your first car insured for a year for example ...I got my licence in October but didn't get my first car until January so does that mean that my insurance will drop in the following October or January? If someone could answer this it would be a massive help

It might go down a bit after having your licence for a year. But its more likely to go down, and by a lot bigger amount after being insured for a year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending