The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reform
Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The interpretation of the Sahaabah and Taabi’in, that ‘idle talk’ refers to singing, is sufficient. This was reported with saheeh isnaads from Ibn ‘Abbaas and Ibn Mas’ood. Abu’l-Sahbaa’ said: I asked Ibn Mas’ood about the aayah (interpretation of the meaning), ‘“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks’ [Luqmaan 31:6]. He said: By Allaah, besides Whom there is no other god, this means singing and he repeated it three times. It was also reported with a saheeh isnaad from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that this means singing. There is no contradiction between the interpretation of “idle talk” as meaning singing and the interpretation of it as meaning stories of the Persians and their kings, and the kings of the Romans, and so on, such as al-Nadr ibn al-Haarith used to tell to the people of Makkah to distract them from the Qur’aan. Both of them are idle talk. Hence Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “Idle talk” is falsehood and singing. Some of the Sahaabah said one and some said the other, and some said both. Singing is worse and more harmful than stories of kings, because it leads to zinaa and makes hypocrisy grow (in the heart); it is the trap of the Shaytaan, and it clouds the mind. The way in which it blocks people from the Qur’aan is worse than the way in which other kinds of false talk block them, because people are naturally inclined towards it and tend to want to listen to it. The aayaat condemn replacing the Qur’aan with idle talk in order to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge and taking it as a joke, because when an aayah of the Qur’aan is recited to such a person, he turns his back as if he heard them not, as if there were deafness in his ear. If he hears anything of it, he makes fun of it. All of this happens only in the case of the people who are most stubbornly kaafirs and if some of it happens to singers and those who listen to them, they both have a share of this blame. (Ighaathat al-Lahfaan, 1/258-259).

If you want a few more quotes check out http://islamqa.info/en/ref/5000

Thanks. I understand why some music (singing) would be banned like gangster rap and stuff cos some of the lyrics are horrible. But classical music? And playing musical instruments? Strikes me as odd.

Can I also just say that you cannot love listening to music and the Quran together. It's one or the other.

Sure, but this sin is probably committed by almost everyone at some point. I was watching the Islam channel the other day and even the adverts had music in the background... What's the point!

Perhaps after my exams I could go into more depth.

Nah it's ok :smile:
Original post by Ayah
^I know tell me about it. They never bring up the subject;marriage, but remind me that it's haraam to date and have a boyfriend..
I don't wanna be aloneeeeeeee!

arranged marriage? :tongue: :wink:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm an 18 year old girl living with muslim parents (I plan to move out for uni though) and was interested to hear curfews and rules from others with muslim parents. I just want to say that I myself do not consider myself a strict muslim. I believe in God but I'm not sure I agree with a lot of muslim rules etc. My parents don't pray, my dad drinks, but they've always been kinda strict with my sister and me. I have to let them know a couple of days before I go out where I'm going, when I'll be back, and sometimes they'll say I can't go for practically no reason. When I was 16 they wouldn't let me go out for a meal with friends at 6pm on a Friday because the city centre would be full of 'drunk hooligans'. I'm allowed out occasionally until around 10pm with friends if I'm going out for a meal or something, but they seem pretty intrusive with it and I can tell they don't approve. (My dad often asks why I don't just go out earlier). :rolleyes:

I also had strict parents. They would ring me every couple of hours when I was out when I was 15 , 16

but thats parents, they didnt behave that way because they where muslims just over protective .

I didnt take my anger on my parents out on my religion. If you agree with some muslim rules, then perhaps look at alternative interpretations and see which one makes most sense but try not to judge a religion against the latest craze culture espoused by the latest Hollywood film
Original post by rolldeep786
Are you being as serious as to saying that the sahabi of the prophet (the people who STUDIED under him) were misguided and hypocrites? Tell me how many people have claimed to have been imam Mahdi, i only know of the one. you think that the wife of the prophet (saw) would make forged statements about him.

Yes like you said he was a living breathing example of the Qur'an, so if he said anything that detested music, and its instruments in particular, is this not because his is living and breathing the Qur'an.

I think you've misunderstood my post. Just to make it clear, I don't deny anything the Prophet said. I don't deny anything his wives claimed he said. I don't think I deny anything his main Sahabas claimed he said.

However the problem is that the Hadiths we have today were not directly written and preserved by any of the 3 of them. Most (over 5 and a half thousand) of these hadiths were sourced from a guy called Abu Huraira who only knew the Prophet for 2 years. How can someone who knew the Prophet for only 2 years come up with 5500 hadiths - more than the 2000 reportedly by Aisha and almost as much as the 6500 verses in the Quran?? It makes no sense. Abu Huraira was obviously a compulsive liar.

Also ALL these hadiths were written 200-300 years after the Prophet (pbuh) died. So essentially we're relying on a 300 year old game of Chinese Whispers to find out what the Prophet said, despite the fact that pretty much everything is clear in the Quran apart from Salah which was given to the Prophet as a gift for mankind and therefore could only be taught by him.

The media is always twisting the "sayings of the Prophet" and it always makes us Muslims look bad. Even the fake terrorists (funded by Israel for propaganda purposes) twist the Hadiths to suit their f***** up ideologies.

Oh and about the fake Mahdis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mahdi_claimants
Those are only the more known ones. There must have been many more unrecorded accounts of deranged claimants.
Fathers drinking and not taking their religion serious is why the kids mess up. The kids become stuck between culture and religion and eventually just abandon it all *together. Shaking my head*
Reply 245
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
Fathers drinking and not taking their religion serious is why the kids mess up. The kids become stuck between culture and religion and eventually just abandon it all *together. Shaking my head*

Religion shouldn't be something you just inherit. You should go out and ask questions and do your own research and come to your own conclusion.
Original post by Besakt
Religion shouldn't be something you just inherit. You should go out and ask questions and do your own research and come to your own conclusion.

If your parents are pious, then inshAllah you become pious also
Reply 247
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
If your parents are pious, then inshAllah you become pious also

I agree. If you're parents or those that are close to you set a good example then you are more likely to follow.

But a person has got to ask him/herself if they were born without a religion not necessarily an atheist, out of all the religions that exist is this the one they would choose, if not then I think that person would have to re-evaluate his beliefs.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm an 18 year old girl living with muslim parents (I plan to move out for uni though) and was interested to hear curfews and rules from others with muslim parents. I just want to say that I myself do not consider myself a strict muslim. I believe in God but I'm not sure I agree with a lot of muslim rules etc. My parents don't pray, my dad drinks, but they've always been kinda strict with my sister and me. I have to let them know a couple of days before I go out where I'm going, when I'll be back, and sometimes they'll say I can't go for practically no reason. When I was 16 they wouldn't let me go out for a meal with friends at 6pm on a Friday because the city centre would be full of 'drunk hooligans'. I'm allowed out occasionally until around 10pm with friends if I'm going out for a meal or something, but they seem pretty intrusive with it and I can tell they don't approve. (My dad often asks why I don't just go out earlier). :rolleyes:

If your Dad drinks then no and doesn't pray offence but i don't think he bases those decisions on his religion, it must be more to do with culture.

Latest

Trending

Trending