The Student Room Group

Clothes

My families Muslim and I'm not. I don't dress modest just like a normal teenager and I have larger breasts and whenever I wear anything I'm not allowed to outside because it's " inappropriate " when it could be just a low cut t-shirt. What do I say to them? I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin and they make me feel disgusting..
Reply 1
I understand you would like to feel comfortable being yourself, but I suggest you take into account that you're still living under your family.

Since religion is a factor, I doubt talking to them would solve the issue.

My recommendation is to bear with it and wait until you have the chance to move out. That's what one of my friends is doing, and I'm from Malaysia, so we both know how crazy it sometimes gets.
Reply 2
Yeah you're right. It's just frustrating because even if I do wear clothes that is covering my body they still get angry because it's "too" tight but I genuinely can't control that because if I buy a larger size it'll be too big and I feel like I have to tiptoe around everything. I have asked them if I can move out if the house and they said no so i feel like im not being picky ig. I've had to live with this for long and maybe I just have a bunch of pent up anger. Ty tho for this I don't have a lot of people around me to talk too
I understand you, try to respect your parents and maybe find an alternative. I also live in a very religious family and was going to a party recently. I managed to persuade my parents to do this, but my mother said that she had to choose clothes with me. Luckily she liked https://www.wardrobeshop.com/collections/1920s-plus-size-dresses and I had a lot of dresses to choose from! I try to always look for an alternative with my parents and live easier that way
(edited 8 months ago)
I'm really sorry to hear that you're going through this challenging situation with your family. It's essential to have a heart-to-heart conversation with them, expressing your feelings and your desire to feel comfortable in your own skin. You might consider mentioning how the online review impacts and highlights the diversity of fashion choices and personal styles. This could help them understand that what feels right for you might not align with their views but is still valid. Open communication can often bridge the gap and lead to mutual understanding.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest