The Student Room Group

Nuclear power, yes or no?

Considering all the pros and cons, do you believe in nuclear power or are you against it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Coming from someone who works in it, totally for.
If we are talking about fission, for but reluctantly :tongue: bring on fusion then it's clean energy for all! :biggrin:
yes, massively for it... the pros massively out weigh the cons!
Reply 4
Yes. I believe the UK is heading towards reinstating nuclear power. We can only buy from the French for so long...
Reply 5
Sure thing. I live (almost) within sight of a nuclear power station and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

...and just thinking about it, when not at uni I live about 1.5 miles from an uranium enrichment plant.
Reply 6
I see many pros to nuclear, but I only see it as a temporary solution, and for a number of other reasons I'm against it. bring on nuclear fusion rather than fission though :wink:
Reply 7
Will it mean cheaper fuel costs? Nah. It will be ££££££ for Mr Burns whilst we all freeze to death in the comfort of our own homes.
yes, as a tempory answer to global warming
Reply 9
There is only one site that has Mark I reactors in the whole of the UK, and it's being decommissioned.

Mark II and later are all incredibly safe. One might call them 'earthquake-proof'.
Reply 10
Against, very risky and dangerous. Especially in the wrong hands...
I'm for, maybe we'll actually get some energy instead of hippies banging on about wind turbines, that don't work.
Reply 12
Original post by tif49
Against, very risky and dangerous. Especially in the wrong hands...

How do nuclear reactors end up in the wrong hands exactly?

You cant just buy one from the shops you know.
Reply 13
Nuclear power is our only hope for when the oil runs out. The risks are tiny and manageable when compared to the very real risk of complete (and possibly permanent) economic collapse if we don't move away from oil in time.
Reply 14
Original post by Buzz93
How do nuclear reactors end up in the wrong hands exactly?

You cant just buy one from the shops you know.

lol. I meant Nuclear power. Especially in Nuclear weapons ending up in the hands of people with evil intentions.
Reply 15
This isn't about nuclear weapons, it's about nuclear power.
Reply 16
Fission is definitely much better than our ridiculous pursuit of oil. However, fusion is the real future; as far as I am aware, if we can get it to work it is literally a flawless energy source.
For. It's clean, the fuel can be almost totally recycled, and for a region that barely experiences any natural disasters like the British Isles, it's the perfect energy source. I live about 20 miles from Dungeness (the kill zone! woop woop! :ahee:) and I'm fine with it.

Fusion is definitely the future. With ITER, the NIF and HiPER all going on/being built/planned there's a lot of progress being made. We should see a net energy gain in a fusion tokamak before the end of the decade, and a commercial reactor design soon after when DEMO is complete. Until then, fission will suffice.
totally for it. the reaction to the tiny number of serious accidents that have ever happened is like the kneejerk response when 1 idiot overdoses and dies on a drug that millions of others have used with no problems. The safety record is excellent, and with the global population supposed to hit 7 billion soon, the need for energy that doesn't bugger up the environment is more important than ever.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Yes, when it is carried out safely. I am currently in Japan, where obviously the most recent disaster has taken place. I live in Ishikawa prefecture, the prefecture with the least seismic activity and correspondingly, the most nuclear power plants. Here there is currently a lot of opposition against nuclear power, and there is still fundraising going on to help people in the disaster zone. I think altogether nuclear power can be a good thing, it's just when it goes wrong that it suddenly doesn't seem so great anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending