The Student Room Group

Creative Writing Help

I have to write a short story for Standard Grade English for Thursday but I am really bad at creative writing, especially at getting it started. It can be about anything and should be between 800 - 1000 words. I am quite worried because I will have to write a personal essay or a short story for my prelim in November and I don't think I will get a good grade for it and I really want a 1 (I get 1s for all the other elements of the course). Do you have any tips that you use when writing short stories?
Original post by mr bean
I have to write a short story for Standard Grade English for Thursday but I am really bad at creative writing, especially at getting it started. It can be about anything and should be between 800 - 1000 words. I am quite worried because I will have to write a personal essay or a short story for my prelim in November and I don't think I will get a good grade for it and I really want a 1 (I get 1s for all the other elements of the course). Do you have any tips that you use when writing short stories?

My only tips for short story writing is

Only have up to 2 characters beacuse it can get confusing with more

get the foundations of direct speech, beacuse if you don't it will look very poor

Have a developed plot and a "Turning Point" in the story to make it exciting

Think of an unusal plot beacuse it can get really boring and cliched

Also, structure it properly: begining, Middle, Climax, end

Good luck with your Standrad Grade English, it is a suject that is really hard, and you can only improve in the writing part of the exam, if you dedicate yourself 100% and Practice a lot.

Bonne Chance!
Reply 2
Original post by animelover123
My only tips for short story writing is

Only have up to 2 characters beacuse it can get confusing with more

get the foundations of direct speech, beacuse if you don't it will look very poor

Have a developed plot and a "Turning Point" in the story to make it exciting

Think of an unusal plot beacuse it can get really boring and cliched

Also, structure it properly: begining, Middle, Climax, end

Good luck with your Standrad Grade English, it is a suject that is really hard, and you can only improve in the writing part of the exam, if you dedicate yourself 100% and Practice a lot.

Bonne Chance!

Thank you for your tips :smile:
Original post by mr bean
Thank you for your tips :smile:

No bother, but don't forget that if a type of writing is not your best or favoured don't chance it as you will end up doing miserably. I did a Personal essay in my prelim and i got a 4, prior to that i thought i was only a personal writing person. However, i soon discovered that this wasn't the case,discursive writing was, i practiced a lot and i got a 2 in the finals after doing one on electronic readers in the 2011 writing, a massive jump. Just shows you , how the same wrter can differ in ability so much beacuse of the type of wiritng chosen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending