The Student Room Group

Single or Double Quotes in English Novels?

Since this is a UK-based site, I was hoping I could find help here. I am American, but moving to England. I am writing a novel, and my current manuscript has single quotation marks for speech because I thought it would fit in more once I publish it in England. However, some English novels I read had double quotes, while others had single.

So, what would you guys say is more normal in a fictional novel? Should I keep it as single quotes or change them to double?
Original post by LeeJ9
Since this is a UK-based site, I was hoping I could find help here. I am American, but moving to England. I am writing a novel, and my current manuscript has single quotation marks for speech because I thought it would fit in more once I publish it in England. However, some English novels I read had double quotes, while others had single.

So, what would you guys say is more normal in a fictional novel? Should I keep it as single quotes or change them to double?

Hi,

I took Creative Writing for my undergraduate degree and I would honestly say it doesn’t matter which kind of quotation marks you use. If single quotation marks feel more natural for you then I’d say stick with them.

Hope this helps,
Dom
Original post by LeeJ9

Whatever your editor tells you, is the answer I think.

Although obviously probably best to be consistent either way!

Also I have moved this thread to the creative corner - the university courses forums are more for queries about studying for a specific degree in that subject area :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by LeeJ9

The important thing is to be consistent.

If you're self-publishing, then you can do whichever you prefer. As a reader, I probably wouldn't even notice which you were using, though it's just possible I might do if you were not being consistent.

If you already have a publisher lined up then seek your editor's advice, as @artful_lounger has suggested.
Reply 4
Thanks so much to everybody here, this has been really helpful.
Original post by LeeJ9

Hi

I'm currently doing the MA in Creative in Critical Writing at Uni and they mostly tell us to use single quotation marks. However, you could use double or none at all, if that is in function of your writing.
But yes, generally single here and the key is to be consistent with them once you make that decision.

Milena 🙂
MA Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending