The Student Room Group

Waitrose Interview Process

So I recently applied for a part time job at waitrose! I'm 17 and after reading other peoples experiences on here , I thought I would post mine just to help others :smile:

So I applied online and got an email asking whether I would like to go for a group interview. I was really nervous but just put on a brave face and tried to be as confident as possible. They took us into a room where there was about 6/7 other girls and boys roughly the same age as me. The two recruitment ladies were really nice and made us all feel more comfortable.

First task : We had to play bingo, this was just to break the ice and get to know the other people (nothing to worry about :smile:

Second task : do a presentation about yourself. We got given a sheet with questions on, some of the questions were 1. what are your greatest achievements 2. what do you want to do in the future 3. who is your favourite chef ( this one worried me and I didnt have a clue :P but i just made something up :smile: 4. why should we employ you? overall there was about 6 questions and we had about 15 mins to write our answers then talk to the rest of the group about yourself. It sounds rather scary but everyone is in the same boat so i wouldnt worry. Just always been really smiley and happy and look interested when the others are talking :P

Third task : get in pairs and sell a product. Depends what product your selling, but just be really confident and dont worry about embarrasing yourself- again everyone is in the same boat!

and that was basically it! then the recruitment ladies just talked about the next stage and what waitrose is all about!

so a day after i got a call for a second interview! i was so happy , as waitrose is such a good company to work for! i was slightly nervous as now this was a one on one interview and i have never experienced this before! i heard that when you get a second interview it pratically means you got the job but i didnt want to jinx it!

So i went in and ask for the lady. She took me to the same room where i had my group interview. Here she literally asked me general questions about my uniform size, whether ive got any holidays booked and why i want to work for waitrose. Just make sure you prepare that answer as i wanted to impress her haha!It was more like a chat if im honest i prepared so much and didnt need to! but its always good to be prepared just incase!

So a couple of days ago i got a call from her to say I GOT THE JOB! im so happy as this is my first job and the work place is brilliant :biggrin: my induction is on saturday! more excited than nervous but at least i know ive finally got a job :biggrin:

That was basically my whole process through waitrose! I hope it will help any of you who are looking for jobs or even applying for waitrose :biggrin: good luck! and remember always be happy and confident , at the end of the day its not what you say, its how you say it!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
After applying online I was called to a group interview, I'm almost 19 and was one of the oldest ones out of the 6 of us that were there. The two interviewees were very nice and the atmosphere was very relaxed.
First we were split into two groups and given two different wait rose items, we were expected to pitch the product and give reasons why customers should buy it. Next we were given a list of 5 questions which included, 'What is your biggest achievement?' .. 'If you could be a piece of fruit/veg what would you be and why?' ... 'Why do you think you should get the job?' .. and you were given 10 minutes to note down what you wanted to say then present it to the group. Next you were given 2 short questionnaires which had 4 maths questions, and an identifying stage where you had to pick out mistakes from a chart. Then there was a brief stage where you could ask questions and the interviewees were able to tell you a bit about working at wait rose. The hole procedure was very straight forward and you can easily get a job at this stage as long as you appear confident!!! And justify your reasons for the things you say. (E.G .. I said i'd be a onion for the fruit/veg question, due to the fact it has a lot of leaves, which i think it refers to my personality by being able to offer a range of skills, as well an onions being mixed with various different foods which i feel symbolised me being able to mix well and adapt in different environments swell as with different people. Just smile and be yourself!

I now have a one to one interview tomorrow :smile:

GOOD LUCK
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Laurark
After applying online I was called to a group interview, I'm almost 19 and was one of the oldest ones out of the 6 of us that were there. The two interviewees were very nice and the atmosphere was very relaxed.
First we were split into two groups and given two different wait rose items, we were expected to pitch the product and give reasons why customers should buy it. Next we were given a list of 5 questions which included, 'What is your biggest achievement?' .. 'If you could be a piece of fruit/veg what would you be and why?' ... 'Why do you think you should get the job?' .. and you were given 10 minutes to note down what you wanted to say then present it to the group. Next you were given 2 short questionnaires which had 4 maths questions, and an identifying stage where you had to pick out mistakes from a chart. Then there was a brief stage where you could ask questions and the interviewees were able to tell you a bit about working at wait rose. The hole procedure was very straight forward and you can easily get a job at this stage as long as you appear confident!!! And justify your reasons for the things you say. (E.G .. I said i'd be a onion for the fruit/veg question, due to the fact it has a lot of leaves, which i think it refers to my personality by being able to offer a range of skills, as well an onions being mixed with various different foods which i feel symbolised me being able to mix well and adapt in different environments swell as with different people. Just smile and be yourself!

I now have a one to one interview tomorrow :smile:

GOOD LUCK

well done :smile: sounds great, i have a one on one soon and was wondering the type of things you got asked? i think mines for check out tills?

Thankyou so much :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ChloeO
So I recently applied for a part time job at waitrose! I'm 17 and after reading other peoples experiences on here , I thought I would post mine just to help others :smile:

So I applied online and got an email asking whether I would like to go for a group interview. I was really nervous but just put on a brave face and tried to be as confident as possible. They took us into a room where there was about 6/7 other girls and boys roughly the same age as me. The two recruitment ladies were really nice and made us all feel more comfortable.

First task : We had to play bingo, this was just to break the ice and get to know the other people (nothing to worry about :smile:

Second task : do a presentation about yourself. We got given a sheet with questions on, some of the questions were 1. what are your greatest achievements 2. what do you want to do in the future 3. who is your favourite chef ( this one worried me and I didnt have a clue :P but i just made something up :smile: 4. why should we employ you? overall there was about 6 questions and we had about 15 mins to write our answers then talk to the rest of the group about yourself. It sounds rather scary but everyone is in the same boat so i wouldnt worry. Just always been really smiley and happy and look interested when the others are talking :P

Third task : get in pairs and sell a product. Depends what product your selling, but just be really confident and dont worry about embarrasing yourself- again everyone is in the same boat!

and that was basically it! then the recruitment ladies just talked about the next stage and what waitrose is all about!

so a day after i got a call for a second interview! i was so happy , as waitrose is such a good company to work for! i was slightly nervous as now this was a one on one interview and i have never experienced this before! i heard that when you get a second interview it pratically means you got the job but i didnt want to jinx it!

So i went in and ask for the lady. She took me to the same room where i had my group interview. Here she literally asked me general questions about my uniform size, whether ive got any holidays booked and why i want to work for waitrose. Just make sure you prepare that answer as i wanted to impress her haha!It was more like a chat if im honest i prepared so much and didnt need to! but its always good to be prepared just incase!

So a couple of days ago i got a call from her to say I GOT THE JOB! im so happy as this is my first job and the work place is brilliant :biggrin: my induction is on saturday! more excited than nervous but at least i know ive finally got a job :biggrin:

That was basically my whole process through waitrose! I hope it will help any of you who are looking for jobs or even applying for waitrose :biggrin: good luck! and remember always be happy and confident , at the end of the day its not what you say, its how you say it!:smile:

Hello, I have tried very hard applying to waitrose. I keep getting rejected after the values tool test apparently. I put answers that are simple and make sense. Could you advise me how to get an interview at least. Thanks in advance!!!!!
Reply 4
Original post by blue012
Hello, I have tried very hard applying to waitrose. I keep getting rejected after the values tool test apparently. I put answers that are simple and make sense. Could you advise me how to get an interview at least. Thanks in advance!!!!!

It's not the values tool that you're failing in, it's the questions. Their applications are similar to John Lewis, and it took me 4 goes to get an interview, but now I have a job there :smile:
I asked for feedback sometimes, and it's all about the content of your answers. Read through the recruitment and partnership sites to get some information on what they want from their partners and incorporate it into your answers. Make sure they're detailed, I've found the more you write the better, as long as it's relevant and what they're looking for.
Reply 5
Original post by bobbin95
It's not the values tool that you're failing in, it's the questions. Their applications are similar to John Lewis, and it took me 4 goes to get an interview, but now I have a job there :smile:
I asked for feedback sometimes, and it's all about the content of your answers. Read through the recruitment and partnership sites to get some information on what they want from their partners and incorporate it into your answers. Make sure they're detailed, I've found the more you write the better, as long as it's relevant and what they're looking for.

Could I pm you the answers to the questions I've given. Thank you soo much for replying.
Reply 6
Original post by blue012
Could I pm you the answers to the questions I've given. Thank you soo much for replying.

sure thing, I can have a read through and tell you what key things they look for :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by bobbin95
sure thing, I can have a read through and tell you what key things they look for :smile:

Thank you. I will do soo soon. Im doing A-levels (bio chem maths) atm and I have these january exams once they are out the way I will defo seek your help through PM. THank you very much happy new year to you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by blue012
Thank you. I will do soo soon. Im doing A-levels (bio chem maths) atm and I have these january exams once they are out the way I will defo seek your help through PM. THank you very much happy new year to you :smile:

Ok, I'm busy revising too, so just message me whenever :smile:
Mhm, I'm been put on hold for one of my applications after successfully passing the Group Interview :smile:

I really hope I get to the next stage, really would enjoy working @ waitrose, seems fun. Forgotten how my experiences of the job were, seeing as it was 3 1/2 months ago.
Reply 10
Hi,

Have any one recently had a interview with waitrose? Because I have mine on the 10th of may. And was wondering what I should know, so I could be prepared.

ThankYou!
Reply 11
Original post by Whitneyoa
Hi,

Have any one recently had a interview with waitrose? Because I have mine on the 10th of may. And was wondering what I should know, so I could be prepared.

ThankYou!

How'd it go?
When do you get your uniform from Waitrose? I have my induction on Wednesday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
OFFICIAL WAITROSE THREAD:hat:
Hi all,
I've been to a group interview and been invited for a one to one interview, hooray!
What kind of questions am I likely to receive and is there anything else I need to know?
Reply 15
Original post by blue012

Hi, can you PM the values tool test answers please? Thank you! :smile:
Any chance you could send me the values test answers as well - desperate for work!!!!
hi i have been told to complete the second stage on line but cant find it any help much appreciated thanku
Original post by ashleighkennedy
hi i have been told to complete the second stage on line but cant find it any help much appreciated thanku

The link to your next online stage should be beside your application name in your applications table when you log in. If you can't log in from the webpage, click on any job to apply and it should lead you to your applications. :smile:
I am trying to fill out the application form for Waitrose is there any help you can give me on their questions please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending