The Student Room Group

Physics mechanics and Maths mechanics modules

For those who have or are doing both of these. What are the difference in mechanics in maths, and mechanics in module. Which is 'better' or more difficult. Do they compliment each other?
thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
There is a huge amount of overlap. There's next to nothing covered in physics mechanics that won't be covered in maths mechanics, where there'll be a lot more content. As for difficulty, the physics exam questions tend to be tougher and less formulaic, but they're do-able.

One thing to watch out for is that AS and A2 are a little out of synch. There's stuff covered in AS physics that's in A2 maths and vice versa.

Not sure how much of this applies to other exam boards but I'm doing Edexcel for both if that helps.
Reply 2
I do AQA A physics and did Edexcel maths AS, I always find the mechanics in physics to be way easier - they always seem to follow the same structure, so you can usually just apply what you wrote in a similar question again and again.

I know loads of people who were really good at physics and maths and couldn't get m1 at all. Tbh it took me along time to get my head around it. In the exam they really do try to trick you, and the added length of questions mean that they can be alot more detailed than in physics. Knowing the easy basics will get you a C pretty easily in m1, but I think you have to think out of the box a little to get to an A, whereas in physics if you understand the principles and equations you'll get a really good mark no problem.

There is so so much overlap if you do mechanics in maths you will be completely sorted for physics. But the questions are different - I prefer the maths ones, even though they are more challenging, because they force you to use knowledge from the core modules.
Reply 3
Acceleration due to gravity is taken as 9.81ms^-2 in Physics Mechanics. In Maths Mechanics it's just 9.8ms^-2.
Reply 4
Depends on the type of person you are, I personally did not find maths mechanics helpful to me even though all the similarity. There were these minor differences that just put me off and so I lost my motivation into revising them hand in hand. BUT this is just what I think, it seems most people find M1 very handy in their physics mechanics...:smile:
Reply 5
All of the Mechanics concepts in Physics are covered almost entirely by M1 and a little bit of M2. In Physics though, you get a handy little sheet with every formula you're going to be using on it, I.E all the suvat equations, even F = ma. So basically, for Mechanics in Physics, you don't need to know where the equations come from and you don't even need to know the equations, only that they exist somewhere on the sheet of formulae, that 'm' means mass, 'a' means acceleration etc. and that you have a functional calculator. Anything more is either a slight time saver when interpreting questions or overkill (mostly overkill).

I.E, Do the mechanics in maths modules and you can do the mechanics in physics. Not the other way around though.
Basically what Spungo said. I did the mechanics chapters of physics right at the start of L6, and walked into my mech lessons in maths later in the year feeling (as i can now see it, isn't hindsight great?) over confident. Work hard in Maths to get mechanics good there, and then the mechanics in physics will be easy. But defo not the other way around.

That said, at the end of the day, (there's another day over) all M1 is, is F=ma. Apply it in pretty much every question, apart from the SUVAT ones, and then you're fine. Along with F=µN and conservation of p.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending