The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Im so dissapointed in myself :(

Hello all ,

Im currently studying LLB law , im finding it very interesting but today i had a reality check.

if i wanted to find part time work right now i wouldn't be able to , not in the legal filed anyway. I just don't feel like ive got enough academic qualifications on my back.

I have immigration level 1 (oisc) but not accredited as of yet , and the modules ive done at the ou.

At this moment at time i dont feel like im getting anywere :frown:
Reply 1
Well, there's not many "proper" legal jobs you can do prior to completing your LLB, and even less prior to full qualification.. There's paralegal work, or doing legal secretary work, and both usually require experience or relevant qualifications of some sort. Also, very few of those positions are part-time.

Do you want to qualify as a barrister or solicitor? How many modules of the LLB have you done so far?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
i would like to become a solicitor. i would like to think the immigration level 1 would make my c.v look a bit nicer lol.
Reply 3
Original post by morris86
i would like to become a solicitor. i would like to think the immigration level 1 would make my c.v look a bit nicer lol.

You pick up qualifications as you go along sometimes with the OU. For example, I have a Certificate in Legal Studies (from W100) and a Diploma in English Law (from W200 and W201).

I have no idea what the Immigration Level 1 thing is. It might look good, it depends on what type of law you're interested in doing.

I wouldn't worry too much about your work experience. It would be great if you could get a job in a law firm, even just general admin or reception work, but they're hard to come by (and even rarer as part-time). Otherwise, general admin work or anything that requires client interaction is good. If you know any solicitors, ask them if you can shadow them for work experience. You might also want to consider volunteering, working as an adviser at the Citizens Advice Bureau is usually good experience. Also, you should apply for vacation schemes at the relevant time during your degree. Most importantly: don't panic :smile:
Reply 4
thank you for your answer.

immigration level 1 is for the oisc, to become a immigration advisor.
i cannot become accredited though as im not an organisation; so im trying to find vouunteer work who will put me forward for this. :smile:
Reply 5
I'm not sure why you're disappointed in yourself. You've done OU modules towards one of its toughest degrees and you've got an immigration adviser qualification. That's a lot more than many people!!

As alawhisp says, working with the Citizens Advice Bureau on a voluntary basis would be a good move for you. But it's not going to be easy getting any voluntary experience, never mind paid employment in the legal field at the moment as there's an oversupply of law graduates and they're all desperate for work experience. I think you've just got to plough on and look out for opportunities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
One other thing to consider with regards to the job market is that someone who is already working (even on a volunteer basis) is considered more desirable than someone who isn't working at all :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest