The Student Room Group

Studying Maths at Uni

I was wondering what Uni's people could recommend for studying Maths at.

I'm only in Year 12 but I want to start looking now.

My subject are Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Biology. I might not be doing Further Maths next year as I might have to drop it.

If you study at a particular Uni it'd be nice to know how you are getting on with it as well.

Any advice welcome. :smile:

Thank you in advance.
I'm personally not applying for maths, but have a ridiculously ambitious friend who is applying for it at Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Bath and Bristol - all very prestigious.

Also, I've heard that not doing Further Maths A2 can put you at a big disadvantage, so try and hang on to that.
I would agree with the 'hang on to the Further Maths A2' depending on where you're applying. I know that some unis give different offers based on double/AS FM/single maths and the higher ones want STEP/AEA if you don't have FM (Bath+).

What sort of grades are you looking for?
Reply 3
I've looked at Durham and they want ABB. They didn't specify in which subjects.

Another I looked at asked for a certain amount of UMS points.
Reply 4
Original post by Floieee

Durham ask for A*AA, including Maths and Further Maths. Not sure where you got ABB from.
Reply 5
Oh wait that was Accountacy. :s I'm applying for this course with KPMG and Durham only asks for ABB for that.
Reply 6
Original post by Floieee
Oh wait that was Accountacy. :s I'm applying for this course with KPMG and Durham only asks for ABB for that.

accountancy is very different to maths at university.
Original post by Floieee

Accountancy is not maths. But KPMG is a great firm, well done on whatever you are doing there!
Reply 8
For most top universities, Further maths is a requirement! You are so lucky you are being told this now, I was unaware that I needed it and am now having to do the full A level in one year. I would definitely say keep further maths! Really good ones would be the likes of Cambridge, Imperial and Warwick, which require you to have STEP. STEP is the reason I didn't apply to them :colondollar: I'm applying to UCL, Kings, Nottingham, Birmingham and Loughborough :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest