The Student Room Group

£25 from benefits for failing to pay fine

Scroll to see replies

Couldn't agree with you more. The proposal is incredibly stupid - not that I expect anything more.
Reply 21
Why would we assume that people on benefits have £25 a week in disposable income?

That said, I don't think there should be a 'maximum' at all - it should be a matter for courts to decide.
Reply 22
That seems like quite pleasing news.
There should be no limit.

If they starve to death because of their criminality, so be it.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
There should be no limit.

If they starve to death because of their criminality, so be it.

:facepalm2:
Original post by paddy__power
:facepalm2:

Problem?
Original post by LipstickKisses
Unfortunately yes, some people are just bad people. It isnt simplistic, its the truth. Im sick of people claiming "theyre not bad people really! They just need some love!" And your post seemed to suggest that we shouldnt come down hard on them, which would mean they'd get away with it.

Well, this debate is pointless if you think that people are actually inherently evil. Nobody is born evil, their surroundings and how they're brought up determine that.
Original post by Craiky1506
Well, this debate is pointless if you think that people are actually inherently evil. Nobody is born evil, their surroundings and how they're brought up determine that.

No. Some people have really **** starts and they turn out to be fantastic. Others use it as an excuse to either do horrible things, or moan about how they've turned out and take no responsibility. Your surroundings have little to do with whether you commit crime or not.
No. Some people have really **** starts and they turn out to be fantastic. Others use it as an excuse to either do horrible things, or moan about how they've turned out and take no responsibility. Your surroundings have little to do with whether you commit crime or not.

Of course, so let's ignore the massive correlation between poverty and crime, because some people born into poverty manage to get out of it. Obviously it's just not poverty, it's how your parents treat you, it's what friend groups you get into, how you are treated at school, the list goes on.
Of course, so let's ignore the massive correlation between poverty and crime, because some people born into poverty manage to get out of it. Obviously it's just not poverty, it's how your parents treat you, it's what friend groups you get into, how you are treated at school, the list goes on.

Then explain why some people who have the worst starts in life manage to go on to become perfectly decent human beings. You can sit around blaming everyone, or you can go out and make something. If you do the former, then thats your own problem and character flaw.
Then explain why some people who have the worst starts in life manage to go on to become perfectly decent human beings. You can sit around blaming everyone, or you can go out and make something. If you do the former, then thats your own problem and character flaw.

Chaos theory. There are a lot of different factors involved.
Chaos theory. There are a lot of different factors involved.

Like what? You know right from wrong, unless you have an illness that changes your perception of this, its as simple as an immoral person harming society without care.
Like what? You know right from wrong, unless you have an illness that changes your perception of this, its as simple as an immoral person harming society without care.

And a lot of people believe they don't have a choice but to act "wrongly", it's their environmental factors that determine this. I'm not saying I don't condemn what they do, just worsening their environmental factors is not going to help improve society.
And a lot of people believe they don't have a choice but to act "wrongly", it's their environmental factors that determine this. I'm not saying I don't condemn what they do, just worsening their environmental factors is not going to help improve society.

I dont think they conciously think through whether they have a choice or not. Most of them just think "Oh look a rich person, bloody bastard lets trash their car!" or "Nice house could get sme drug money from there!". I believe it will, as people will have to fend for themselves and realise we are not going to always support them.
This acts a detterent to others.
What I don't get is why they can't follow the law in the first place. Are they anarchists? Do they actually respect the state which has kept them alive? It's as if they haven't got any self respect let alone respect for others around them. Let them die - natural selection.
Original post by Aj12
Why should people be allowed money from the state if they are going to break laws and harm other citizens?

In principle, this is a valid argument. But you have to look at what will happen if we take that money away. Using financial penalties to punish the poorest in society is ridiculous - it will just result in us having more homeless people, and in most cases families, on the streets.

Is that really a better alternative? It is just taking a step backwards.
Original post by pol pot noodles
So you think those who are on benefits should be exempt from punishment for their crimes?
Yes, let's elimate the symptoms for crime. But in the meantime, we can not have people on benefits believing that they are untouchable. You commit a crime, you suffer the consequences. It's as simple as that.

I'm not saying that people should be exempt from punishment at all. I just believe that punishing those who are on benefits and commit crime through financial penalties is shooting yourself in the foot.

What do we really see this achieving, apart from increasing the gap between rich and poor? I think it is remarkable that a whole government cannot look forwards and see what the effects of bringing something like this in will be in five years time.

It won't be a reduction in crime, it will be an increase in homelessness and poverty. We will then have to come up with a solution to fix that. It is just a ridiulous attempt to combat the effect as oppose to the cause
Original post by imonlysleeping
I'm not saying that people should be exempt from punishment at all. I just believe that punishing those who are on benefits and commit crime through financial penalties is shooting yourself in the foot.

What do we really see this achieving, apart from increasing the gap between rich and poor? I think it is remarkable that a whole government cannot look forwards and see what the effects of bringing something like this in will be in five years time.

It won't be a reduction in crime, it will be an increase in homelessness and poverty. We will then have to come up with a solution to fix that. It is just a ridiulous attempt to combat the effect as oppose to the cause

So what exactly do you propose? Jail time? Increased handouts? No doubt funded by an increase in taxes on the rich?
What I see this acheiving, is people knowing that society no longer tolerates poverty as an excuse to commit crime with impunity. This is the UK, not Somalia. Poverty is relative.
Plus, these fines won't increase crime, since they are committing crime regardless in the first place.
Original post by pol pot noodles
So what exactly do you propose? Jail time? Increased handouts? No doubt funded by an increase in taxes on the rich?
What I see this acheiving, is people knowing that society no longer tolerates poverty as an excuse to commit crime with impunity. This is the UK, not Somalia. Poverty is relative.
Plus, these fines won't increase crime, since they are committing crime regardless in the first place.

Obviously I am not suggesting "increased handouts". I find it ridiculous that because I am saying that fining the poorest in society is an ineffective way to solve the problem you assume that instead I want to tax the rich and give all of their money to the poor. Clearly that isn't a good punishment for failing to pay a fine...

I also don't propose a prison sentence, as we already have an overwhelming prison population, many of whom I feel could be dealt with in a different way.

I'm not suggesting that poverty should be an excuse to commit crime, merely commenting that taking money away from these people is not the answer.

Admittedly, I've not taken a detailed look at the alternative, but I would suggest community service. If that also fails in effectiveness then potentially deprivation of liberty through curfews or something similar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending