The Student Room Group

Anjem Choudary Poppy Burning Thread

Why was it closed?

There was no discrimination against Muslims; it was a legitimate discussion on the actions of this group of people, who are going to take action in the coming week. It is relevant and current, what is the point in stifling all discussion and pretending it will go away TSR Mods?

Mod edit: If you can't keep it civil, threads will be locked. I'll open this, and anyone breaking the rules will be warned severely.

Please report any instances of rule breaking.

Original thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1824203

OP's post:

DdotT
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2055365/Poppy-burning-Muslims-plan-new-hell-heroes-demonstration-November-11.html

Such a disgrace, last time the main guy was fined £50, i mean what the hell!
Why shouldn't we kick these people out from Britain?

Edit: While reading responses came across this, compliments to CombineHarvester

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1365724/Poppy-burning-Muslim-s-father-served-14-proud-years-Navy.html

Put some hope back inside me :P

Also, another point many muslims have served in the British army, from Imperial times to WW2 to even now, do they care? Perhaps they just consider them to be traitors.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Indeed, this is not an accurate representation of how all Muslims feel.
Reply 2
Mods,

Perhaps a clearer clarification of what is and what isn't against the rules would be useful? 'Offensiveness' is so subjective and one person's trolling can be another person's [idiotic, but truthful] post.
Reply 3
Links are broke, by the way.
Reply 4
Original post by Snagprophet
It is idiotic to dismiss truthful posts.

No, my wording was too vague.
You've seen them too, posts written by people who seemingly mean it, but that everyone can tell is deliberately controversial or baiting. That's just as much trolling as anything else and is worthy of scorn and nothing else.
Why give these knob-heads attention? Just ignore them.

Like that saying goes, it's better to be hated than ignored.
Ok, so I'm not sure I understand the UK's laws that limit free speech right, but wouldn't calling this "Hell for Heroes" and stating to MPs that if they visit Muslim constituents, they will face "piercing attacks" fall under the UK's "incitement to religious hatred" laws?
Reply 7
Original post by Pax Amerifauna
Ok, so I'm not sure I understand the UK's laws that limit free speech right, but wouldn't calling this "Hell for Heroes" and stating to MPs that if they visit Muslim constituents, they will face "piercing attacks" fall under the UK's "incitement to religious hatred" laws?

It should be, but the police are terrified of prosecuting any members of MAC. Their sick little demo should be quietly moved to the day, or maybe week after the Rememberance service. That wouldn't affect their 'freedom of speech', just prevent them from causing a disturbance and causing distress to innocent families paying their respects. In a perfect world of course, they would all be locked up for their threatening, racist, and violent behaviour.
It doesn't surprise me. The Islamist movement has been brainwashing young Muslims for years and no one has had the balls to to anything about it. Read "The Islamist" by Ed Husain, it really sheds light on the extremists Muslims cults that are popping up in Muslim communities unchecked due to the authorities fears of being branded racists.
Let me guess...It was Democracy that closed it lol.
Reply 10
Funny isn't it.

We have laws about inciting 'religious hatred', but if you're not a group united by an imaginary friend you seem to have no feet to stand on.
Original post by Steevee
Funny isn't it.

We have laws about inciting 'religious hatred', but if you're not a group united by an imaginary friend you seem to have no feet to stand on.

I did a google search, and it looks like the only prosecution has been for a guy leaving atheist literature in an airport mosque (or "interfaith" prayer room). This law sounds like it's being applied with prejudice.
Burn poppies = slap on the wrist.

Burn some stupid book = omfg all hell has broken loose. Better arrest and charge them quick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending