The Student Room Group

Compare how the theme of remorse is presented in both 'War Photographer' and 'Poppies

Can you mark this essay out of 30 please. I have just been practising my essay writing and I need to get it marked to see how far I have gone. There is no SPAG (4 marks) for this essay so can you please give a mark out of 30 like this 26/30,27/30 22/30 etc.

Powerful emotions are demonstrated in both 'War Photographer' and 'Poppies' by the theme of remorse and tragedy and the use of imagery throughout the poems. In 'Poppies' Jane Weir explores how she only depends on her son for survival and uses physical emotions to symbolize empathy for her advantage. However, in 'War Photographer' each photo exemplifies an aspect of colour and bleakness contrasting with the 'Poppies' showing a sense of despair and sadness - this contrast with the theme colour shows how Jane's emotions are portrayed throughout the images used highlighting her sorrowful and dejected life.

Despite both poems representing death as an inevitable part of life - Jane and Duffy use of structure and imagery creates a more realistic portrayal of death and despondency. In 'War Photographer' the poem is structured with 4 stanzas with 6 lines each. This uniformity could suggest the rigid and incorrigible nature of war, but also how the photographer is unvarying with her emotions - this could imply 'she has a job to do' and shows no feelings of contrition to the 'bonded agonies'. In contrast Poppies is in the form of a dramatic monologue - we only hear from the narrator(mothers perspective) demonstrating her vulnerability and her difficulty to cope with the situation at hand, exemplifying her dominance. This is Ironic as she was powerless to stop her 'Intoxicated' son from leaving. Perhaps Weir is exploiting how the patriarchy also plays the role of the mother - this implies that even though Weir is carrying out a 'solemn role' she also 'sacrifices' her son by illustrating that she is fragile to make him overturn his decision in going to war. So both poems use contrasting imagery to suggest that the characters are devoid of emotions but have to face the consequences in order to move on.

Similarly, this is further seen when Weir uses sewing imagery(language technique) to demonstrate physical pain and anxiety: 'My stomach busy making tucks, darts, pleats' has multiple references on how the narrator Weir is suffering continuously without being reminded to stop - this perhaps could imply that she cannot handle the situation at hand and was never prepared to do so which links back earlier in the poem where the repetition 'before' was suggested to inflict pain and agony upon the readers. The 'stitches' and 'wounds' caused is her lack of control and debilitated character - she has a layer of emotions and cannot seem to find the code fur curing her absence of lost nature. In stark contrast, 'War Photographer' uses emotive language to emphasise the importance of each photo - the emotive metaphor, 'A hundred agonies in black-and-white' perhaps connotes that the photos seem to confirm and solidify the suffering they manifest. To further emphasise the description of the photos, 'black-and-white' were the only colours present in World War 2 so only these 2 colours can be edited to the highest quality in order to demonstrate the realistic portrayal of endless suffering and agony.

Ultimately, both poems tend to ensure us readers understand the negative consequences of conflict and how it can deeply affect out mental health. Both poems tend to mostly focus on the abstract idea 'sacrifice' and that sacrificing your family members can bring about interminable distress and affliction. The bitter truth revealed towards the end leaves us readers emotionally traumatized by the true horrors of war.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Bangladesh31T20
Can you mark this essay out of 30 please. I have just been practising my essay writing and I need to get it marked to see how far I have gone. There is no SPAG (4 marks) for this essay so can you please give a mark out of 30 like this 26/30,27/30 22/30 etc.

Powerful emotions are demonstrated in both 'War Photographer' and 'Poppies' by the theme of remorse and tragedy and the use of imagery throughout the poems. In 'Poppies' Jane Weir explores how she only depends on her son for survival and uses physical emotions to symbolize empathy for her advantage. However, in 'War Photographer' each photo exemplifies an aspect of colour and bleakness contrasting with the 'Poppies' showing a sense of despair and sadness - this contrast with the theme colour shows how Jane's emotions are portrayed throughout the images used highlighting her sorrowful and dejected life.

Despite both poems representing death as an inevitable part of life - Jane and Duffy use of structure and imagery creates a more realistic portrayal of death and despondency. In 'War Photographer' the poem is structured with 4 stanzas with 6 lines each. This uniformity could suggest the rigid and incorrigible nature of war, but also how the photographer is unvarying with her emotions - this could imply 'she has a job to do' and shows no feelings of contrition to the 'bonded agonies'. In contrast Poppies is in the form of a dramatic monologue - we only hear from the narrator(mothers perspective) demonstrating her vulnerability and her difficulty to cope with the situation at hand, exemplifying her dominance. This is Ironic as she was powerless to stop her 'Intoxicated' son from leaving. Perhaps Weir is exploiting how the patriarchy also plays the role of the mother - this implies that even though Weir is carrying out a 'solemn role' she also 'sacrifices' her son by illustrating that she is fragile to make him overturn his decision in going to war. So both poems use contrasting imagery to suggest that the characters are devoid of emotions but have to face the consequences in order to move on.

Similarly, this is further seen when Weir uses sewing imagery(language technique) to demonstrate physical pain and anxiety: 'My stomach busy making tucks, darts, pleats' has multiple references on how the narrator Weir is suffering continuously without being reminded to stop - this perhaps could imply that she cannot handle the situation at hand and was never prepared to do so which links back earlier in the poem where the repetition 'before' was suggested to inflict pain and agony upon the readers. The 'stitches' and 'wounds' caused is her lack of control and debilitated character - she has a layer of emotions and cannot seem to find the code fur curing her absence of lost nature. In stark contrast, 'War Photographer' uses emotive language to emphasise the importance of each photo - the emotive metaphor, 'A hundred agonies in black-and-white' perhaps connotes that the photos seem to confirm and solidify the suffering they manifest. To further emphasise the description of the photos, 'black-and-white' were the only colours present in World War 2 so only these 2 colours can be edited to the highest quality in order to demonstrate the realistic portrayal of endless suffering and agony.

Ultimately, both poems tend to ensure us readers understand the negative consequences of conflict and how it can deeply affect out mental health. Both poems tend to mostly focus on the abstract idea 'sacrifice' and that sacrificing your family members can bring about interminable distress and affliction. The bitter truth revealed towards the end leaves us readers emotionally traumatized by the true horrors of war.

First of all the was an amazing essay you have written. I would give you around 21, but it could be more because I haven't checked it with the mark scheme. Btw are you doing AQA or a different exam board?
Original post by Mastermind05
First of all the was an amazing essay you have written. I would give you around 21, but it could be more because I haven't checked it with the mark scheme. Btw are you doing AQA or a different exam board?

Thanks for the reply I waiting for this for a long time:smile::smile::smile:. But why only 21 marks? I think it is roughly 27-28 marks at least if you check the mark scheme. Level 6 (26-30marks) I checked the mark scheme and it said in level 6 you need judicious references and language techniques used - also both form and structure as well. But thanks anyway for the reply Mastermind05 your really nice:smile::smile::smile:

25/30 - I think maybe a bit more on AO3 so context of the time the poem was written in and how that correlated with what your writing. I happen to have a 30/30 essay comparing London and Checking Out Me History, if you would like to see what is needed at the top of the mark scheme.

I see you have copied from Mr Salles comparing war photographer and poppies videos.
Reply 5
Original post by 2939HIHI
I see you have copied from Mr Salles comparing war photographer and poppies videos.

lol i spotted that too
Original post by ShadowHokage
25/30 - I think maybe a bit more on AO3 so context of the time the poem was written in and how that correlated with what your writing. I happen to have a 30/30 essay comparing London and Checking Out Me History, if you would like to see what is needed at the top of the mark scheme.

could you send that essay? ik it's been 3 years but it wld be rlly helpful!!1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending