The Student Room Group

Common Misconceptions

Scroll to see replies

I used to call a certificate a 'tificate' in primary school. Also I used to think that in the song disturbia by rihanna she was saying 'sturdier' instead of 'disturbia' lol. Also that song 'breathe' by blue Cantrell and Sean Paul there is a part where I thought Sean Paul said 'that's my bin yo' lol. I still don't know what he really says...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by rishi_tank
I used to call a certificate a 'tificate' in primary school. Also I used to think that in the song disturbia by rihanna she was saying 'sturdier' instead of 'disturbia' lol. Also that song 'breathe' by blue Cantrell and Sean Paul there is a part where I thought Sean Paul said 'that's my bin yo' lol. I still don't know what he really says...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Lol nobody knows what Sean Paul really says...:biggrin:
Reply 782
I would love to live in a conversation area :ahee:
I used to think that a "gatsby" (from The Great Gatsby) was some sort of archaic American word for an adventure or party. :s-smilie:
Original post by ZombieMartin
My sister once thought that in the time periods that black and white movie's were set in, the world was actually black and white. As in colour had not been invented, I honestly couldn't believe when she said it.

I believed that when I was like 6.

:biggrin:
Original post by philistine
My mind has just been absolutely blown apart. I was on a musical terminology website page, defining a few Italian terms, and happened upon the word 'segue'.

Now, I know how the word is used, both in and out of the musical context, and that was all fine. Next to it, however, there was a phonetic guide on how to pronounce it. It turns out it's not pronounced 'seg', just like all other -gue words, but 'seg-way'.

I originally thought the term was 'segue way', but it's actually just 'segue'!

Mind = destroyed

You have just allowed to things to click for me at the same time:
First of all, how to pronounce segue.
Secondly, why I keep hearing people refer to a two-wheeled mode of transport when talking about the transition between two things...

Mind = similarly destroyed.
Reply 786
Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete
In year two everyone thought that fire was a swear word :/
I genuinely heard 'euthanasia' as 'youth in Asia' until I studied it in RE.

The most important one is- when you talk about hunting someone down like a dog, the hunter is the dog in that situation, not the hunted. THIS BLOWS MY MIND.

ahhh the second one killed me xD
Here's one:

lode /lōd: A rich source of something.

Mother lode:

Mother lode is a principal vein or zone of veins of gold or silver ore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_lode

Yes, you read it correctly: it's 'mother lode', 'not mother load'. A similar point of confusion would be the term, 'lodestone', and although used infrequently- 'lodestar'.
I'll level with you, I was a pretty irritating kid. Some would say 'excitable' but I'm sure they're just being kind. So one day I was being... 'excitable' in the car, asking to go to various places, Australia, Canada, etc. Eventually my mum got so bored of my incessant ranting, she told me we were going to India... we went down the road and stopped about 5 minutes later. Spent a good 6 months believing that the road we were on was India.

My dad told me something similar, telling me that B&Q was Disneyland. Credit to him, I had a hell of a time while I was there, but I think this is why I never took Geography at GCSE.
I was just watching the friends episode where Phoebe meets up with her 'gay' husband and it reminded me of when I was little.

I'd somehow heard the term Ice Capades before really becoming with the word escapades. So when people would say things like 'What kind of escapades have you been getting upto?' I couldn't pull myself away from the thoughts of them skiving off school to try to cross the arctic, or something else ice-related :pinch:
Reply 790
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
I was just watching the friends episode where Phoebe meets up with her 'gay' husband and it reminded me of when I was little.

On behalf of TSR, what? :confused:
Original post by james1211
On behalf of TSR, what? :confused:

Duncan, who's in the Ice Capades, which brought me on to the following part of my post. Should I have used a colon?
My best friend actually thought the word 'download' as in download speed was said and spelt 'damload'. DAMLOAD.

JFC it made me so angry.
Reply 793
When I was really little I said to my dad, "Hey dad let's play Mario Kart, the grand prix mode"

Except I pronounced it, literally, as it was spelt. Yes...I pronounced "prix" as "pricks"

:colondollar:
When I was in Year 2 I heard a girl in my class call another girl "a lesbian". I had never heard this word before, so I asked "What's a lesbian?", and I was told "It's when a girl likes another girl". The only funny thing about this was that I thought "a lesbian" was all one word, "illesbian", and I thought that "illesbians" were gay women. I thought this for a long time in Primary School. It was rather embarrassing when my friends later asked what I was on about when I mentioned "illesbians".

Also during Primary School, it was revealed after a spelling test that a bafflingly large proportion of my classmates thought that the word "impossible" was instead "inpossible".
(edited 11 years ago)
Until I was about 5, I couldn't pronounce 'yellow', but I sort of accepted that 'lellow' was the correct pronunciation until I was about 8.

The height of playground gossip at my Primary School was 'What's the worst swear word?'. Rumours swelled that there was a 'c-word' that was King of the swear words and utterly unutterable. This rumour developed into cold, hard fact that the 'c-word' was 'clique'. When the class trouble-maker threw a tantrum and called the teacher a 'clique', we were all completely aghast. Goodness knows what went through the teacher's head.

I was fairly certain that every country in the world spoke English for a long time.
I always thought the line in the Counting Crows version of 'Big Yellow Taxi' was 'They paid paradise, and put up a ****ing lie.

It's actually, 'They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot'.
Reply 797
Original post by waltgrace
I always thought the line in the Counting Crows version of 'Big Yellow Taxi' was 'They paid paradise, and put up a ****ing lie.

It's actually, 'They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot'.

My sister thought it was "they pinked paradise" as in cut it with pinking shears
Reply 798
I used to think that Dallas(the US state) was pronounced Gallas :s-smilie:
Reply 799
I used to think Sinn Féin was a person when I used to hear about it on the news as a kid. Turns out a few people I know thought the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest