The Student Room Group

Computer Science Foundation Year?

Here's my problem, last year I screwed up my AS maths, and this year I'm resitting. I'm also studying A2 Computing, A2 Literature and I picked up AS philosophy. In my two A2 subjects I'm hoping for BB. In my 2 AS subjects I'm hoping for BA/AA. I understand if I were to be in college another year and finish my maths A level, my uni application would be considerably stronger, but with the cuts to EMA and lack of jobs in this town and multiple other factors, continuing to study here seems like it may prove difficult. Saying this, I don't want to go for a points offer at a bad university still, I'm not too bothered about the prestigious universities obviously, I'd like to just go to an OK one. I've been contemplating this course at Liverpool

http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-foundation-4-year-route-with-carmel-college/course-overview/

all though after a bit of research the entry requirements are as low as CDD to get onto the course, but then obviously after the year of the course at Carmel College, I go to Liverpool and do normal Computer Science, and Liverpool is generally regarded as quite a good university.
Basically I'm just asking anyone who's done any kind of foundation year or anything similar if this is worth applying for.
Reply 1
I know few friends who did a foundation year and then a top up year. However when it came to jobs they kept complaining that a lot of graduate jobs require specific amount of UCAS points (320 from 3 A levels). Which you don't have, so it is hard to decision to make.
Reply 2
If we're just talking about points, it isn't much of an issue. I also did a year doing a BTEC, so I have enough UCAS points, but all of the unis that I want to go to require grades.
Reply 3
I would imagine that some foundation year students actually go into courses better prepared than straight entry students, especially for subjects like computer science where the subject is taught from scratch anyway. But i don't get why you're thinking of doing a foundation? With two B's and two AS levels at grade A or B and a BTEC..surely you can get into universties straight up? ok not a top uni but surely it's not worth a whole year just so you go to a better uni? A degree from a mid range university with a years placement would be far better looked upon than a foundation year route.

Just throwing this out there but The University of Hull accepts applicants with two A2 levels for their Computer Science degree and it's meant to be outstanding for computer science with top rate teaching. I have been to an open day there, loved it, and recieved an offer and even though i'm predicted AAB i may still go there anyway it was so good. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www2.hull.ac.uk/science/computer_science.aspx

all just my opinion anyway, hope it helps
Reply 4
Doing a foundation year usually guarantees entry to the main degree program providing you pass it.... So personally I would take a foundation year at a university you like (and that is 'good'), rather than try to scrape in somewhere mediocre/you don't like with your current grades.

Is there any particular reason why your AS maths went badly? Universities are likely to look on things more favourably if there was a 'good' reason for things going badly.

If you are considering stopping on another year to resit the maths at A2 level then now would be the time to start looking for a job already. If you could continue to live at home and just pay a token amount towards rent or whatever then you wouldn't need to earn much really.
Reply 5
Im sort of in the same situation as you ..... Want to apply to sussex as I live there. Got BBDD at AS and predicted BCC at A2. I can get onto a sussex computer science with a foundation year that gets me a place in year 1 after completion.

Do you think they are looked upon badly or will achieving the degree just overide the fact you had to do a foundation year to get there....?
Reply 6
Original post by jimbo lad
Im sort of in the same situation as you ..... Want to apply to sussex as I live there. Got BBDD at AS and predicted BCC at A2. I can get onto a sussex computer science with a foundation year that gets me a place in year 1 after completion.

Do you think they are looked upon badly or will achieving the degree just overide the fact you had to do a foundation year to get there....?

how can you get predicted BCC when you got BBD at AS? surely you would be predicted at least a B in the subject you got a B in? you should complain. And you could always try applying to sussex for the foundation and for the normal. And just see how it goes i guess
Reply 7
Original post by BigV

Is there any particular reason why your AS maths went badly? Universities are likely to look on things more favourably if there was a 'good' reason for things going badly.

After doing my BTEC I hadn't really done maths since school, and I enrolled on the course late. I still passed at least, but this year I'm definitely hoping for at least a B.

I think my main problem towards going to a less prestigious university, especially for computer science, is because what's taught can differ drastically. I'm enthusiastic about doing the theory/mathematical side of the course, something which lower offer universities rarely offer.

Also with regards to staying to complete the A2 maths, it may seem trivial, but the simple fact that I want to move away makes it hard. With all of my friends gone and at uni, and my boyfriend moving south for a job, there's not that much keeping me here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending