Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Feb 2012 W100 people over here!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi All,

My name is Helena and I'll be starting in Feb/2012. Been out of school

for a while now and quite scared with the amount of study, TMA's, job all together.

Good luck and good work to all of us :wink:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 61
Materials arrived safe & sound. She said it'd be a huge box & really scary but it's not bad. A DVD, 4 study books & 2 information booklets.

Going through the Important Information booklet now. The Study Planner is on the inside front cover of the Assesment Guide (took me ages to find it - first step to thinking I'm too thick to do this if I can't even find the study planner! :biggrin:) and that's a little scary - 1 unit a week, 16 hours a week for 34 weeks, an eTMA due every 4 weeks. Not sure how on earth I'm going to do it during the school hols with my little monkey being home demanding 24/7 attention!

It's going to be tough fitting it all in. Not sure how I'll find an extra 16 hours a week every week... will have to do some serious juggling somewhere.

My weekly timetable at the moment is daughter is at school 8.30-3 while I'm at work, 3-7/8ish it's homework, dinner, extra classes, playtime, bath, stories, bed (no childcare or help), then 8 till 10 I'm usually doing housework, work admin, house admin, divorce stuff, contact battles stuff, house sale stuff etc & I'm shattered by 10/11. Fitting in 2-3 hours study a night will be interesting. Ack who needs sleep anyway, it's over-rated! :s-smilie:

So going to spend the next 2 weeks frantically clearing everything else I need to get done (car tax, self assesment tax return, work filing & admin, contact hearing paperwork, divorce form e, new passports... notes to self really because no doubt I'll re-read this next week & fly into a blind panic that I've not done any of it!) so hopefully I'll be on top of everything else before I start this! Yeah right!

Went to see a psychic medium the other day for a laugh with my friend & as soon as I shook her hand & said hello she just shouted "LAW! You work in law! No... no you don't... you're studying law! You need to do law! You're made for it & will be really sucessful at it!" :eek: Freaky! But here's hoping! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
I received my stuff yesterday... Looked rather scary seeing all those books :P
Reply 63
Hi all, Thanks to 92matt, I have found this site - so have joined up as well. I'm sitting at home waiting for the module materials to arrive. It is one of the problems of living in Northern Ireland, couriers invariably take at least a day more to deliver than in the rest of the Kingdom. I'm 34, married, working in the Northern Ireland Assembly, and looking forward to the course. I also have a blog.
Reply 64
HI everyone,
got my books and had a look at the first one and it looked so boring. And the DVD looked so boring too. Goodness me, I just hope I will be interested. I am quite interested in law its just the first book that seemed awful.lol
What are all your degree wishes?
Reply 65
I think you can look at the units online : http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=2943

If its one unit per week so its tougher than I thought.
Reply 66
Got my course material through yesterday!! Looks good.

Thanks 92Matt for the FB link - not allowed to access FB from work 'puter. I join when I get home tonight.

Noticed that the first assignment needs to be done by 24 Feb!!! Hope it's abn easy one!! LOL

Cheers
Reply 67
Where are ye all from?

As ye may have noticed - I live in Yorkshire however you see from my avatar, I'm Scottish! :biggrin:
Reply 68
Original post by Oppro
Materials arrived safe & sound. She said it'd be a huge box & really scary but it's not bad. A DVD, 4 study books & 2 information booklets.

Going through the Important Information booklet now. The Study Planner is on the inside front cover of the Assesment Guide (took me ages to find it - first step to thinking I'm too thick to do this if I can't even find the study planner! :biggrin:) and that's a little scary - 1 unit a week, 16 hours a week for 34 weeks, an eTMA due every 4 weeks. Not sure how on earth I'm going to do it during the school hols with my little monkey being home demanding 24/7 attention!

It's going to be tough fitting it all in. Not sure how I'll find an extra 16 hours a week every week... will have to do some serious juggling somewhere.

My weekly timetable at the moment is daughter is at school 8.30-3 while I'm at work, 3-7/8ish it's homework, dinner, extra classes, playtime, bath, stories, bed (no childcare or help), then 8 till 10 I'm usually doing housework, work admin, house admin, divorce stuff, contact battles stuff, house sale stuff etc & I'm shattered by 10/11. Fitting in 2-3 hours study a night will be interesting. Ack who needs sleep anyway, it's over-rated! :s-smilie:

So going to spend the next 2 weeks frantically clearing everything else I need to get done (car tax, self assesment tax return, work filing & admin, contact hearing paperwork, divorce form e, new passports... notes to self really because no doubt I'll re-read this next week & fly into a blind panic that I've not done any of it!) so hopefully I'll be on top of everything else before I start this! Yeah right!

Went to see a psychic medium the other day for a laugh with my friend & as soon as I shook her hand & said hello she just shouted "LAW! You work in law! No... no you don't... you're studying law! You need to do law! You're made for it & will be really sucessful at it!" :eek: Freaky! But here's hoping! :biggrin:

.........and I'm panicking???? :eek:

Jeezuz - good luck! We'll get there!!:s-smilie:
Reply 69
I too received mine yesterday. Parliament and delegated legislation is the part I am least looking forward to but it's within the first block so will thankfully be out of the way relatively quickly.

My Brother-in-Law achieved first class honors for his LLB Law at the University of London and he places great emphasis on the use of MIND MAPS as an immensely powerful tool for remembering. Also, study for 30 minutes, break for 2 minutes, study for 30 minutes, break for 2 minutes and so on.

Good luck to you all. Here's to rest of our lives!
Original post by jgrattigan
Where are ye all from?

As ye may have noticed - I live in Yorkshire however you see from my avatar, I'm Scottish! :biggrin:

Oh wow I'm from Teesside/North Yorks (Stockton-on-Tees), however I live in Essex now. :smile:
Reply 71
I come from Middlesex
Reply 72
The first TMA looks easy (he says :s-smilie:) all the info you require is contained in the Assessment Booklet and requires no prior reading :smile:

The second TMA is all about Y166 so those who have done that are at an advantage :smile:
Reply 73
I'm near Guildford. :smile:

34, mid divorce, 1 daughter aged 5.5, not studied since leaving school... At 15. And now I think I can do a law degree. PAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by Oppro
not studied since leaving school... At 15. And now I think I can do a law degree. PAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

And why not? You've got to be in it to win it :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by LenJ2007
And why not? You've got to be in it to win it :smile:

Yeah, it's taken me nearly 20 years to mature to that of your average 18 year old student :biggrin:

No, I can do it, I've ran 2 businesses, 1 was international with a near 6 figure turnover, not that I have any of it left now, after houses, recession, divorce, child & all the rest but hey ho! I figure by the time I'm qualified I'll still have 25-30 working years left in me so there's still time to make it worth it. Probably the last reinvention I can do so I'd better make it worth it!!
Reply 76
Original post by ebbajay
I come from Middlesex

What part? I was born in Harrow :smile:
Reply 77
Has anyone started the first eTMA yet? I'm finding it hard to reach the word count already!!
Reply 78
Ive received my materials and am now scared!! No idea where to start lol let alone doing the first TMA yet!! AHHH :eek:
Reply 79
Original post by legalboo
Has anyone started the first eTMA yet? I'm finding it hard to reach the word count already!!

Ive not even finished reading the intro yet!!!

Not even going to think about starting it all till next week, got too much else to clear off my plate first!

Quick Reply

Latest