The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University FAQ and Information Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin
You could theoretically do level 2 science modules, but you will still need to have the equivalent scientific knowledge of someone who has done the science level 1 modules to have any hope of passing. If you go to http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/[enter module code] and click the 'Am I ready?' tab then you can see some examples of the type of work L2 involves, if you think you can handle it then go for it.

Yes, it is true that your degree won't be 'in' anything, but if the majority of your modules are in a certain subject then you can express that on your CV e.g. BSc Open (Biology).

Ah, thanks for that. He only has GCSE Science at Grade C !! Might be too much of a tall order then. Didn't know you could write Open then say, [Biology]if that was what the majority of your modules were in. Your actual degree certificate won't say that though, will it? How useful [ or not] would an Open degree be for later applying to do a PGCE Primary, do you think? [ Compared to a Health and Social Care degree?]
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by markova21
Ah, thanks for that. He only has GCSE Science at Grade C !! Might be too much of a tall order then. Didn't know you could write Open then say, [Biology]if that was what the majority of your modules were in. Your actual degree certificate won't say that though, will it? How useful [ or not] would an Open degree be for later applying to do a PGCE Primary, do you think? [ Compared to a Health and Social Care degree?]

Nah, your degree diploma won't say it but your transcript will list your modules (and that's more important to employers these days). An Open degree would be absolutely fine for getting onto a Primary PGCE, certainly no worse than a named subject degree.
Hi, see if I do a science degree though open university, would I be able to apply for Medicine?
Original post by Minnie786
Hi, see if I do a science degree through open university, would I be able to apply for Medicine?

Graduate entry medicine? Yes, an OU degree would be fine for that - have a look in the Medicine forum, there's so much information there.
Original post by Snufkin
Graduate entry medicine? Yes, an OU degree would be fine for that - have a look in the Medicine forum, there's so much information there.

Thank you so much 😊
Hi everyone,

I spoke to an adviser on a phone and he explained that if I start in 2018 Feb. (Design and Innovation), then after doing my 60 credits I will have to wait until 2019 October to continue with my learning. Is this true or did I get it wrong?

I won't get on time to register for the 2017 October, especially as my passport is expired and I will only get it at the end of the year, so won't get on time to send the required ID for my tuition loan. :/
However, I also don't want to wait until 2019 Oct. to continue with my studies if I start in Feb 2018.

Any help? I feel confused..
Thanks for any answers upfront!
Original post by Deimantukas
Hi everyone,

I spoke to an adviser on a phone and he explained that if I start in 2018 Feb. (Design and Innovation), then after doing my 60 credits I will have to wait until 2019 October to continue with my learning. Is this true or did I get it wrong?

I won't get on time to register for the 2017 October, especially as my passport is expired and I will only get it at the end of the year, so won't get on time to send the required ID for my tuition loan. :/
However, I also don't want to wait until 2019 Oct. to continue with my studies if I start in Feb 2018.

Any help? I feel confused..
Thanks for any answers upfront!

I don't believe he is correct. Your February 2018-start module finishes September, in time for you to begin your second module in October 2018. Phone them again and ask why you were told you'd have to wait a year between finishing one module and beginning the next.
Original post by Snufkin
I don't believe he is correct. Your February 2018-start module finishes September, in time for you to begin your second module in October 2018. Phone them again and ask why you were told you'd have to wait a year between finishing one module and beginning the next.

What the guy sais was that you can only study so many credit per study year. This is also how tuition loan works as well.

I will phone after work today and get it clarified as I think this isn't right as well.
Thanks for the answer!
Original post by Deimantukas
What the guy sais was that you can only study so many credit per study year. This is also how tuition loan works as well.

I will phone after work today and get it clarified as I think this isn't right as well.
Thanks for the answer!

You can take 120 credits a year, not 60 - whoever you spoke to is, I believe, mistaken.
The problem comes due to a difference between standard academic years (such as used by student finance) which begin in autumn, and the OU "seasonal academic year" which always starts in the season / presentation frame of your first module.

The details are here:
http://www.open.ac.uk/students/charter/sites/www.open.ac.uk.students.charter/files/files/ecms/web-content/fee-rules-ug-study-2016.pdf (I think the specifics are in section 1A, paragraphs 3 and 4, but it may be more clear elsewhere in the document.)

If your first 60 credits takes place in the winter presentation frame, then you can only enrol in another 60 credits for that "seasonal academic year". In most cases, you're fine.

The only problem comes if you want to study 60 credits in winter, then 120 (or 90) in autumn.
Reply 110
I'm just posting the OU maths skills book here for future use
I’m going to be studying ‘Molecules, Medicines and Drugs (SK185) soon, when they say “end-of-module assessment” what is it I have to do? Is it like one big question and write an essay, or multiple questions on what I’ve studied?
Thanks
Does the Student Finance company fund full time study with the OU? I'm a bit confused because on the OU's website it only mentions studying part time (and how SFE can fund part time study)?
Hi,
I’m 19 and looking to start the Open University in Oct 2019. Do you think the OU is for younger people? I’m a bit nervous that I might become isolated. I would like to become a primary teacher so I would be doing the 3 yr OU course then 1yr doing a PGCE in a physical university. The idea was that if I do the OU it gives me more flexibility to volunteer in a school for experience.

Is it understandable to study with the OU, are the tutors helpful?
I’m sorry for the questions but I want to make sure I’m making the right decision.
Thank you all for your help in advance!!
Hi,

I want to transfer previous study to an Open (hons) Bsc degree. I have achieved The intermediate level 3 Association of Accounting technicians certificate. On the Open uni website it says I can get credit towards 30 credits at year 1

However when I phoned up the uni they say they only accept Level 4 study and higher for credit transfer and their credit transfer form doesn't give room to write in the AAT intermediate certificate to be considered for credit transfer.

But look at this link? So I'm really confused. Please help.

http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-t...e-intermediate
Hi,
I want to transfer previous study to an Open (hons) Bsc degree. I have achieved The intermediate level 3 Association of Accounting technicians certificate. On the Open uni website it says I can get credit towards 30 credits at year 1

However when I phoned up the uni they say they only accept Level 4 study and higher for credit transfer and their credit transfer form doesn't give room to write in the AAT intermediate certificate to be considered for credit transfer.

this page was a great help!! answered all my questions.thank you
Original post by Nununu
Hi,

It’s has to be university level to use the credits towards a OU degree. A level 3 course is only equivalent to A level
Original post by Anisablue
It’s has to be university level to use the credits towards a OU degree. A level 3 course is only equivalent to A level

Yes, but that is a contradiction of what this link says. I have the intermediate certificate, as you can see it says clearly I can get 30 credits at year 1.

http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/my-previous-study/professional-qualifications/aat-education-and-training-scheme-intermediate
I'm going mad trying to explain the difference I the advice they are giving me on the phone and email and their website.

Quick Reply

Latest