The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University FAQ and Information Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nununu
I'm going mad trying to explain the difference I the advice they are giving me on the phone and email and their website.

Is it possible that the certification is only worth credit on a specific course, and not on an Open degree?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Nununu
Yes, but that is a contradiction of what this link says. I have the intermediate certificate, as you can see it says clearly I can get 30 credits at year 1.

http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/my-previous-study/professional-qualifications/aat-education-and-training-scheme-intermediate

The only thing I could advise is make an application for credit transfer they will require your original certificate and see what they say
Original post by JollyCynic
Is it possible that the certification is only worth credit on a specific course, and not on an Open degree?

I think that unlikely.

Although they are saying it is because it is Level 3.
Hi guys,

I have registered to do the Ba Hons Business management degree after finally passing my A levels (I just sat my resits and got B’s😁).

I am 19 and I wanted to know does the OU shut for Christmas/New year like brick uni’s? Also do they close over the summer.
I would really like to attend the face-to-face tutorials, has anyone ever been and if so what are the like? Are they helpful?.

One last thing, do tutors give you a good structure to write your TMA’S or is that something you have to research. I struggle the most with structuring my answers.

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for your help in advance!!
Reply 124
Original post by Rosie1111100567
I am 19 and I wanted to know does the OU shut for Christmas/New year like brick uni’s? Also do they close over the summer.
I would really like to attend the face-to-face tutorials, has anyone ever been and if so what are the like? Are they helpful?.

One last thing, do tutors give you a good structure to write your TMA’S or is that something you have to research. I struggle the most with structuring my answers.

Hi Rosie,

I'm currently 3 months into a Law degree with the OU.

Christmas break dates are: 21st December - 3rd January

The course completes on 22nd May and if you are re-enrolling it would be a September/October restart.

My tutor is excellent and quick to reply to any queries I have. She has provided on the tutor group forum a few example answers and the questions they ask you point you to the part of the course which has the relevant information.
Face to face tutorials are really good, its nice to meet your fellow students. For me, it really helps alleviate any anxiety that has built up prior to attending.

This answer is purely based on my experience so far but I assume other courses are similar.
Reply 125
Original post by Lord Jon

Open University FAQ and Information Thread

Welcome to the Open University Forum! :hi:

Well it seems that you are interested in studying with the OU or seeing what it is all about. :holmes: Hopefully you will find all the answers to your questions on this thread. If your haven't found the answer for it so far then please feel free to post and someone will hopefully answer it for you :h:

There has been a lot of threads in this forum (and I mean a lot that ask certain questions. Some of these questions may have been asked and answered many times before) So hopefully this thread will be of some use to prospective, new and existing Open University students alike. :h:

What is the Open University?

Spoiler

How does Open University study "work"?

Spoiler

How much does it cost to study at the Open University?

Spoiler

Is any Financial Support availible?

Spoiler

Do employers and other places of education recognise/respect an Open University degree?

Spoiler

Who is the Open University for?

Spoiler

What facilities are availible for me?

Spoiler

What courses can I do?

Spoiler

How old do I have to be to study with the Open University?

Spoiler

What about course materials?

Spoiler

Do I have to do a Degree?

Spoiler

Do I actually maintain any contact with anyone?

Spoiler

Are there any Entry Requirements?

Spoiler

How much can I study and How long is it?

Spoiler

What happens if say I want to quit or something or take a break?

Spoiler

I will add more Questions and Answers in the future should anymore pop up. If your question has not been answered or you find that I missed soemthing please do let me know! Post here. I hope this has been of some help to you guys! :h:

Hello,

I'm currently studying biology bachelor's degree (120 credit) in my first year at the open university.
I want to transfer to a brick uni next year.

1. Which brick universities accept Open Uni credits?
2. Could I move my credits into a brick uni degree and beginning BS in biology from the second year?
3. Could I use my OU credits as an alternative to A levels and entering BS in medicine/or other science BS from the first year?

Many thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 126
Hello,

I'm currently studying biology bachelor's degree (120 credit) in my first year at the open university.
I want to transfer to a brick uni next year.

1. Which brick universities accept Open Uni credits?
2. Could I move my credits into a brick uni degree and beginning BS in biology from the second year?
3. Could I use my OU credits as an alternative to A levels and entering BS in medicine/or other science BS from the first year?

I would really like to know your advice.

Many thanks in advance
I want to do mathematics bsc - If I need to do MU123 do bring myself up to speed, then it might be difficult to take the other module along side it. Is MU123 organised to be done in front of the other modules or not?
Hi could u help me i currently have an nvq 3 and would like to enrol for my nurse training , do i have to have a mentor at work or could i do it without as currently my work do not support this .
Original post by Debbie36
Hi could u help me i currently have an nvq 3 and would like to enrol for my nurse training , do i have to have a mentor at work or could i do it without as currently my work do not support this .

The majority of nursing degrees at the OU require employer support and as such, if your work does not support it you will be ineligible to apply.

There is a new degree for their adult nursing being rolled out in specific areas of England currently which is in partnership with Middlesex University or University of the West of England. This route has a February start only and does not require employer sponsorship.
Original post by GabiAbi84
The majority of nursing degrees at the OU require employer support and as such, if your work does not support it you will be ineligible to apply.

There is a new degree for their adult nursing being rolled out in specific areas of England currently which is in partnership with Middlesex University or University of the West of England. This route has a February start only and does not require employer sponsorship.

Hi yes think that was the open uni i was looking at , but it still mentions mentor so i was unsure , would i ever have to attend there as i live miles away and placements im not a fan of working in a hospital is there any way i can get around this
Hi yes think that was the open uni i was looking at , but it still mentions mentor so i was unsure , would i ever have to attend there as i live miles away and placements im not a fan of working in a hospital is there any way i can get around this

Yes you would have to attend there. That’s why it’s only available in specific parts of England for now. The placements will also be local to there.

Currently that is the only option with the OU if your employer won’t support your training .
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes they sayin id be limited in what i could do at the home even tho there is a qualified rgn willing to mentor me , is there any other options i have
Yes they sayin id be limited in what i could do at the home even tho there is a qualified rgn willing to mentor me , is there any other options i have

Is it worth lookin into another uni

Not with the OU, no unfortunately.
That is their only two routes in and if neither of them suit then there are no other options with the OU.
Òk thanks for the info i will keep looking into it
Was wondering if anyone is able to help me? I have some questions about studying with the OU.
Reply 137
does anyone have access to nature electronics
Original post by omm81
does anyone have access to nature electronics

Do you mean access to resources for nature electronics?

Quick Reply

Latest