The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Dundee Applicants 2012!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by :Sarah
Have you looked on the Facebook group for Belmont? I'm staying in Heathfield :smile: I'm still to find people who aren't studying Medicine or Dentistry though!

Hahaha im studying History flat 63 :biggrin: too elite for dat stuff :P What u studying?
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 701
Original post by Sir Fox
This entirely depends on where he is from - Scottish students and EU applicants pay £1.820 (or nothing at all, if the Scottish government pays their fees), English students at Scottish universities pay the same fees (£9.000) as they would pay at home.

But overall Dundee is considered one of the cheapest student cities in the UK and the average cost of living is at least 10% under the national average.

Cheers for clearing that up :smile: Should've thought a little more there.
Reply 702
Original post by suzanneyoung
Got my accommodation today im in Heathfield Flat 62, room 4 :smile: anyone else ??? xx

hahaha we meet again neighbor :smile:
Reply 703
Original post by CiaranF
That's good then, cool I'm from St Andrews!

Really? You're so lucky. I love it there! Even if there's not that much to do :rolleyes: Such a nice place though.
Reply 704
Original post by Eoghan523
Hahaha im studying History flat 63 :biggrin: too elite for dat stuff :P What u studying?

Digital interaction design :smile: If I get the grades!
Original post by Eoghan523
hahaha we meet again neighbor :smile:

OH HEY NEIGHBOUR ! looks like im just going to be your adopted room mate as i have no one so far irish and geordie combine to make ultimate party :wink:
Original post by Sir Fox
This entirely depends on where he is from - Scottish students and EU applicants pay £1.820 (or nothing at all, if the Scottish government pays their fees), English students at Scottish universities pay the same fees (£9.000) as they would pay at home.

But overall Dundee is considered one of the cheapest student cities in the UK and the average cost of living is at least 10% under the national average.

I'm from Croatia and I'm about to pay 9700 GBP for the first year and I hope that I will be considered as EU student in the second year.
(We are going to enter EU on 1 July 2013)

Original post by Crêpe
Sadly I don't know much of Leeds or Manchester (all my choices were in Scotland).
I compared it to the different universities that I was looking into, on here . Surely this is not enough, but it was a starter. Then I spitballed around with my mate, trying to see the pros and cons of going to the different ones. Seeing as I know a few people who also live in Dundee, it weighed in a bit more. They had also told me that the UoD has a good reputation and I trust them.

If you're worried cost-wise, I think the UoD will be the cheaper one as well. Was around £1860 or so, least for my programme. Looked into Leeds and it seems more expensive. That is, if price is a big deal for you. (I might've seen wrong on the Leeds price, but I'm guessing you know it better than me)

The city itself is nice as well I hear, least the west end(where the University is). It's also the sunniest city in Scotland :wink:

I'd say that if all three are respected unis, the outcome will pretty much be the same. So choosing whichever is the most comfortable is important.

Thanks a lot.

UoD ranks pretty well in comparison with those 3 I mentioned.
It has the lowest average entry tariff among my choices,this is one of reasons why I was a bit skeptical.
(and their conditional offer is quite undemanding)
English uni's cost around 12000GBP for overseas students

I believe I will take UoD as insurance and University of Warwick as my firm choice.
I still hope I will succeed to get in there because they rank very high.

BTW,does somebody know if EU students are eligible to apply for a student loan in England?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 707
Original post by Black-Adder
I'm from Croatia and I'm about to pay 9700 GBP for the first year and I hope that I will be considered as EU student in the second year.
(We are going to enter EU on 1 July 2013)

Thanks a lot.

UoD ranks pretty well in comparison with those 3 I mentioned.
It has the lowest average entry tariff among my choices,this is one of reasons why I was a bit skeptical.
(and their conditional offer is quite undemanding)
English uni's cost around 12000GBP for overseas students

I believe I will take UoD as insurance and University of Warwick as my firm choice.
I still hope I will succeed to get in there because they rank very high.

BTW,does somebody know if EU students are eligible to apply for a student loan in England?

Rankings > entry tariffs. If they are good in a subject they will have many applicants and if the tariffs are lower than those of other universities they will certainly be more focused on other parts of the application.

And EU students don't qualify for UK government loans and grants (except for the fact that they don't have to pay the fees upfront but start to pay it back whenever they earn a certain amount of money.
Original post by Sir Fox

And EU students don't qualify for UK government loans and grants (except for the fact that they don't have to pay the fees upfront but start to pay it back whenever they earn a certain amount of money.

Well,I didn't mean that I will get a loan for my living costs etc.
If I start paying my tuition fees after I start working isn't it a kind of a loan?
Isn't that what English students get?
A loan for financing their tuition cost which they start to pay back once they earn more than 21000gbp a year?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Reply 709
Well,I didn't mean that I will get a loan for my living costs etc.
If I start paying my tuition fees after I start working isn't it a kind of a loan?
Isn't that what English students get?
A loan for financing their tuition cost which they start to pay back once they earn more than 21000gbp a year?

That's what UK students get, but they also get loans and grants to cover the cost for accommodation, food etc., based on the income of their parents. It's the same where I am from (Germany), students whose parents cannot afford (or struggle) to send their children to university get money from the government to cover their living costs - up to 670€ per month.
Original post by Sir Fox
That's what UK students get, but they also get loans and grants to cover the cost for accommodation, food etc., based on the income of their parents. It's the same where I am from (Germany), students whose parents cannot afford (or struggle) to send their children to university get money from the government to cover their living costs - up to 670€ per month.

So if I'm considered as EU student I can get a loan to cover tuition fees?
That's great.
I never expected anything more than that

Reply 711
So if I'm considered as EU student I can get a loan to cover tuition fees?
That's great.
I never expected anything more than that

I am not 100% sure but I strongly believe that's the case. I just googled it and found this Scottish government website which actually states that "Eligible EU students are not required to pay tuition fees whilst studying in Scotland. They are not however eligible to apply for maintenance support." The question is, what is an "eligible" student?

The University of Edinburgh's website says:

You may be eligible for your tuition fees to be covered by the Scottish Government, if you are:

- an EU national from a non-UK EU country
- studying for your first undergraduate degree
- studying full-time

So if you're considered a EU student from your second year on and money is an issue you could really think about coming to Dundee, as this will cost you either 1.820 a year on tuition fees or even nothing instead of 9.000 in England.
Thanks.

I will contact them for more details.

Reply 713
Original post by Crêpe
Congrats! Whatever you choose, will be the right decision, as long as you think through it well. Just firmed Dundee myself :smile:

Thank you! Firmed dundee too, See you there! :smile:
Reply 714
Original post by kstewart7
Thank you! Firmed dundee too, See you there! :smile:

yay! :biggrin: Have you received the e-mail on accomodations yet? Yeah, see ye there :smile:
Reply 715
Conditional Offer for Forensic Anthropology Level 2 entry. Yeeeeoooo!!

=D
Reply 716
Accepted my conditional offer for primary education today :smile: cannot wait!!
Reply 717
Also, anybody who is looking to car share from Perth area let me know :smile:
Reply 718
There's a Facebook group set up for anyone who's staying in Belmont Flats this year. Make sure you join and find your flat mates if they're here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/234592503308411/239595362808125/?notif_t=group_activity
Original post by t.ogilby
Conditional Offer for Forensic Anthropology Level 2 entry. Yeeeeoooo!!

=D

I'm doing forensic anthropology year 2 entry aswell ... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending